So saddened... - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Bliss
Unhappy So saddened...

A girl I used to work with had her baby 3 days before DS was born. She told me she was going to nurse him. I was extremely supportive of her (one of the only people who was) and told her I'd help in any way I could. I heard she was still nursing her DD at 6 weeks and I was pleasantly shocked. I really didn't expect her to keep with it, knowing her personality.

I talked to her today and she said she's no longer breastfeeding, in that she's not putting her to the breast any more. She's pumping and feeding via bottle. Hey, I think it's fabulous that she's committed to her DD getting breastmilk! However, she also told me that she's giving her DD rice cereal in her bottles 2-3 times a day so that she'll sleep more/longer. Her DD is not even 2 months old yet! Click here to enlarge

I cannot tell you how hard it was to bite my tongue on this. With just about anyone else I would speak up about how bad it is for baby's digestive tract to have cereal introduced so early, etc., but I know it would fall on deaf ears with her, especially since it seems to be working in the "sleep department." She also sent me pictures of her DD and she is WAY chubby. Now, granted, I know that a lot of babies are pretty chubby and grow out of it, but I wonder how much of this baby's quadruple chin is due to the empty calories provided by the rice cereal. Click here to enlarge

/rant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 06:49 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

<sigh> Happens all the time.Click here to enlarge(cereal)

You did a great job of just supporting her,Bliss. Click here to enlarge
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

a former co-worker is doing the exclusive pumping and then bottle feeding thing out of choice too. she nursed for a few weeks maybe a ouple of months and then when she went back to work started pumping exclusively. i don't understand it at all. it kinda makes me sad for these women. why are they so uncomfortable with their own body? Click here to enlarge
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Bliss
Well, she said the main reason she went to exclusive pumping is because her dd pretty much refused her right breast almost all the time. She said maybe one in ten times could she get her to latch and all the other times she'd end up having to pump anyway. When she mentioned this, I wondered if it was the angle in which she's being held that she doesn't like... or maybe that breast has a sharper let-down that the little one didn't like or something. It just seems to me that if she'd really had the desire to make it work, she could have spoken with a lactation consultant. She's young, though - barely 21 - and her personality in many ways is more than of a 16 year old. Click here to enlarge I understand her feeling that she might as well just pump both breasts if she was going to be doing one breast every feeding anyway. At least she's still getting the breastmilk... and to quote her "I won't give her formula until she's at least 6 months old." My poor tongue has bite mark scars for that comment... she'll give cereal but not formula. ::boggle:: Oh well.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 09:38 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

She should see an LC.

I remember when DD had expressed milk while I was working FT she ended up weaning to the bottle and refused to nurse Click here to enlarge It was very sad but at least she was 9 months old not 2!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in