Mucinex? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Mucinex?

Ok, so robitussin is considered safe, and mucinex is just guafinesin, just a larger dose. It's 600mg in one pill, where robitussin is 400 mg in a 4 tsp adult dose.

So, would the higher dose in mucinex be safe?

I'm going to take a decongestant tonight so I can sleep, but I can tell they are affecting my supply, so I won't take them during the day.

And claritin didn't help at all. And there's a limit to how long I can keep sniffing Afrin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 07:26 PM
Mmmmmm tuna
Hard-Core Sybermom

No data available for guaifenesin in breast feeding

That's from Safefetus.com

I would think it was ok if Robitussin is ok. Click here to enlarge

"I'm proud of you, but also a bit fearful that we're verging on what I call 'feelings territory' so let's stare at the fire in silence" - Ron Swanson
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 08:42 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I think I'm a little tired...Click here to enlarge I totally posted this on the wrong thread. Here ya go:

This info might help:
" Mucinex® is the only FDA-approved, long-lasting expectorant that provides nondrowsy relief from congestion in 1 convenient bi-layer tablet....
* Recommended dosage: 1 or 2 tablets every 12 hours, up to 4 tablets in a 24-hour period"
http://www.mucinex.com/05_products.asp

If I'm understanding correctly, this means that the dosage of Mucinex and Robitussin are similar, but the Mucinex is an extended release tablet...which means all of the dose wouldn't be absorbed at one time (unlike Robitussin). It's seems logical to me, then, that Mucinex and Robitussin would remain in the same Lactation Risk category, but don't quote me on that. If you're concerned, certainly put in a call to your doctor or IBCLC.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

I've been chugging robitussin so I think I'll risk it. I've got to do something to get this crap to drain.

It's been bad enough that I've contemplated going to my dr and taking whatever the hell decongestant he can give me even if it means pumping and dumping for a day or two.

I don't have a fever today, though, so I hope that means I'm getting better. I've been having random moments of drainage, too, which is an improvement.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via AIM to MSRX Send a message via Yahoo to MSRX
Guaifenesin is safe while breastfeeding. So are decongestants (although they can drop your milk supply). There is no need to pump and dump while on either one. The majority of common drugs are safe while breastfeeding--esp. once the baby is 6 months or older.

FYI: Guaifenesin is going to do very little for sinus congestion.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Actually, it is helping. It thins out the mucus and lets it drain. I've had less pressure in my head today than I have in days. Honestly, I think it's working better than the few decongestants I've taken.

I occasionally have drs insist on rxing guafinesin because I have glaucoma and some forms of it you can't take decongestants.

And the pump and dump thing was only if I asked my dr to rx something and it was some powerful, radioactive kryptonite shit. Click here to enlarge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in