Poop question - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Poop question

DS#3 is 4.5 months old. For the past couple of months, his poops have been very liquidy, not seedy like I was used when my other boys were babies. For the past week, they've been so liquidy that they absorb into his diaper like pee would. The colour is right (yellow) and it's not smelly - it's just complete liquid. IIRC, the liquidy poops started around the same time I started losing weight. I'm doing WW and losing more than the recommended 1lb/week but can't seem to lose any slower. Should I be concerned about the poop? He's gaining weight, content after eating, sleeping relatively well. I'm going to give my doctor a call but I don't know if he'd have a clue about breastfeeding, weight loss and baby poop.

Carry me home down The Highway of Heroes.
People above with their flags flying low.
Carry me softly, down The Highway of Heroes.
True Patriot Love,
There was never more.

Watch it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Tigo
I'de be hesitant to bring it up with the doc incase they don't know much about bf and think extreme measures need to be taken and hound you till you take them.

I hope someone here can help you. I think as long as hese gaining and there are no signs of dehydration, everything should be ok. Click here to enlarge
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 09:45 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I would try eating a couple more points every day and see if your loss tapers off a little bit. Losing weight too fast can really fuck with nursing and it took me a while to get my daily points right at the beginning.

Other than that, I think that sounds pretty normal as long as the baby is gaining and not dehydrated, I think there is a link on Kellymom somewhere where they actually have lots of pics of how "normal" baby poop can look all kinds of different ways when nursing.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

See, with Core I don't really do points (I get 35/week). Instead, I eat "to satisfaction" from an extensive list of foods (fruits, veggies, lean meats, fat-free dairy). If I eat anymore, I'll be eating beyond the point of satisfaction. I thought of switching to Flex but I eat crap when I'm on Flex. Click here to enlarge

My supply seems fine (I was concerned that it would be affected by my weight loss), I can still feel a let-down everytime he nurses and he pulls off, chocking on the flow, a few times a day.

Tigo, I'm hesitant to call my doctor for the reasons you gave. I might see if I can get in touch with the LC at public health. Click here to enlarge

True Patriot Love,
There was never more.

Watch it

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 10:48 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Oh, you're doing core. Hmm, that's more complicated. Click here to enlarge

Maybe eat a few more flex points a week? I don't know. I had thought another reason to not lose too much weight while nursing was also about toxins becoming more concentrated in the milk, but maybe I am remembering wrong? Does this sound familiar to anyone else or am I on crack? Click here to enlarge I am remembering some other reason besides just supply, I thought.

Anyway, I am going to try and find that link about the poop pics. It made me feel better when my ds was very small.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Bliss
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDike
I can still feel a let-down everytime he nurses and he pulls off, chocking on the flow, a few times a day.
Ding ding ding! If he's choking on the flow several times a day, then it actually sounds like you may have a bit of an oversupply. Did he go through a growth spurt recently/teething recently where he nursed more than usual and upped your supply? An abundance of foremilk, rather than hindmilk, can do to the poops what you're describing...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Or maybe not an oversupply, but an over-active let down reflex, which again, causes a large influx of foremilk and not always as much hindmilk.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Babe Vigoda
Quote:
Originally Posted by novocain
I had thought another reason to not lose too much weight while nursing was also about toxins becoming more concentrated in the milk, but maybe I am remembering wrong? Does this sound familiar to anyone else or am I on crack? Click here to enlarge I am remembering some other reason besides just supply, I thought.
i read that somewhere too, though where escapes me. i think the gist is that if you are burning fat stores while losing weight quickly, the pesticides and toxins that are stored in the fat are released and may be in breastmilk. i am not sure if it is true though. off to google.....
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 01:48 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Babe Vigoda
okay, i found this on the lll site, in the faqs.

Rate of weight loss-- Gradual weight loss has not been found to affect either the mother’s milk supply or the baby’s health. However, there are documented concerns when a breastfeeding mother loses weight rapidly, defined as more than a pound (.45 kg) per week. Toxins, such as environmental contaminants PCBs and pesticides, are stored in body fat. When a breastfeeding mother loses weight rapidly, these toxins may be released into her bloodstream, and the toxin levels in her milk may increase. Rapid weight loss has also been linked to a decrease in milk supply.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 07:09 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Ah, thanks! Good to know I'm not totally losing it. Click here to enlarge
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

If those toxins are in the milk, baby would exhibit signs of discomfort, gassiness and often-times colicky symptoms. Is your baby showing any of these kinds of signs, Daisy, or is it just the runnier poops? Are the poops yellow? Do they have a green tinge to them? Do they seem mucousy at all?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Poop is yellow. He's gassy but he has been since birth and it doesn't seem to really bother him. The poop is just very watery, not mucousy or foamy. Click here to enlarge

True Patriot Love,
There was never more.

Watch it

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 08:32 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Sorry, I didn't mean that the toxins-in-milk thing was the reason the baby's poop was different. I was just getting caught up in the weight loss discussion sidebar. Click here to enlarge
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 08:56 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

My baby is 5.5mo and he's gone through a variety of poops. Pretty much always yellow, but different consitency. We started out with very seedy poop. Sometimes we still get there. But we've had very watery poop, somewhat moucousy poop, and poop that seems like peeled rubbery paint or something. I'm not eating anything weird, he's not doing anything new, etc. I do, however, have an over active letdown.

I have found that when babies get too much foremilk their poop turns greenish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in