How much do you pump? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

How much do you pump?

Those who are pumping...

Approximately how much do you get, and in how many sessions?

Just curious. My supply seems to be dropping off a bit. Also, I used to get engorged after a few hours and I'm not getting as engorged as quickly these past few days. I actually think it's due to schedule changes, so it's probably no big deal, but I just figured I'd ask how it all works out for you guys anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 09:10 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I would guess if it's only the engorgement, it might just be that your supply is starting to regulate itself better than before. After a few months your breasts feel emptier even when they are not, I think they store the milk more efficiently.

I used to pump 3 bottles a day with 3-4 ounces each. Most of the time I'd just have about 9 or 10 ounces total.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 09:16 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

When I was pumping with dd I would get about 10 ozs per day, sometimes 12 = two pumping sessions (she was in a center across the street so I nursed her at lunch). I pumped for two weeks while ds was in the ICU and started with over 30 and ended with around 17-18 oz a day. Right now I would guess I'd get about 5-6 ozs if he missed a feeding.

Lime time.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 09:16 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

And that is one cute baby, bitter!!

Lime time.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 09:20 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Oh, and I pumped 3 times a day. So I'd only get 3 ounces or so each time.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Ambulance Chaser

When I was pumping at work, I pumped 3 times in the 10 hours I was away from DD. Most days I got between 12-14 oz a day. I got the most, around 6-8oz the first pumping and 3-4oz with each of the other 2 pumpings.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Ambulance Chaser

I was a pumping freak for a bit - I could pump 10-12 oz per boob in one sitting. Then on the 3-5 subsequent pumps in the day, I would get 5-7 oz each.

TIP: Gerber bottles work with the Medela horns, and Gerber bottles are cheaper than Medela. And if you're pumping more than 6 oz a time, the 9 oz bottles come in handy.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 02:26 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Tigo
I pump twice in the 13 hours I'm away. Sometimes I get about 16 ounces. Sometimes only about 8.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 06:48 PM
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Hard-Core Sybermom

I pump twice a day. I usually total between 12-16 oz.

aka Jaws is 9!

aka ponytails is 11!

aka princess is 14
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 10:03 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I'm not currently bf'ing, but pumped when I had ds, and I was SO JEALOUS of people who could get a lot of milk while pumping! I pumped every four hours, and would get 2 oz each time. My cousin would pump every four hours and get 10 oz. each time.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 09:10 AM
meowcrunch
Ambulance Chaser

I find that the easiest way to pump is to get an electric double pump, like the MEdella, and pump at the same times everday. Like every morning when you wake up, on your lunch break, and before you go to bed. You may find it easier to let-down if you have a pic of your babe around you to look at. If you have a single pump, you can pump while your babe is nursing, just on the other side. When using the Medella, I could get 8 oz in 15 mins. Using a manual single pump it took me an hour to get 1 oz.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

The Medella rocks. I was in love with that pump. I managed to get about 10 oz per pumping session out of my itty bitty boobs for the first few weeks, then it was steadily about 6-8 oz per session, but I gave up after 3 months when I was only getting 1-2 oz per boob and had to go back to work anyway.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Unhappy

I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, or if I really have supply issues. I pump three times a day at work, using a hospital grade double electric pump, and I am lucky to get 2 oz TOTAL each time. I know my nanny has to supplement with formula because he eats closer to 3 oz each feeding.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 01:42 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Try to feed the kid as much as possible, to keep the supply up and try to have good preotein in your diet, which will help the kids growth and fills his stomach too.Click here to enlarge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in