TV and bf'ing random thoughts - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

TV and bf'ing random thoughts

When was the last time you saw or heard a positive reference to bf'ing on TV? Like a sitcom, reality show, soap opera, etc? (not the news, I mean.)

It kind of irritates me that most of what I see on shows when it comes to new babies and moms are references to bottle feeding. Why would it be so hard to have a new mom on a soap opera (aka Lizzie on Guiding Light) be a bf'er?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 01:36 PM
Mel
Ambulance Chaser

Rachel bf on Friends, right? I think that was more for the jokes though..honestly. You don't hear about it in a positive way...it's for the funnies instead.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 01:45 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Why would it be so hard to have a new mom on a soap opera (aka Lizzie on Guiding Light) be a bf'er?
I've been watching and wondering if she would bf. Did you see the episode the other day where she was? They showed her nursing and Lizzie asked if it was supposed to hurt. Then they all said she's got it, wow she is doing it. Then like 2 seconds later Lilian(she is a nurse and Lizzies Grandmother) says, ok that is enough, let Daddy give her a bottle. Then they decided to take her to the nursery. She started to cry and Lizzie asked if she was still hungry. Lilian says that is Ok, they will give her a bottle in the nursery.Click here to enlarge

I wanted to post this but didn't want to sound like a BF nazi but since you mentioned it...Click here to enlarge
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

I'm glad I missed that part BLQ. It would have pissed me off too. Click here to enlarge I'm far from a bf nazi, but it still would have made me mad.

Yes, Rachel on Friends bf'ed and I'm glad she did. I think there was another show recently that had a bf'er on it too, but I can't remember which one. It just seems like bottle feeding is WAY more prevalent on tv than nursing. And like you said, if there is bf'ing on tv, it is usually surrounded by jokes about it. I just don't get it.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 01:57 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Well now they are on the run from Alan and I think it would be a perfect way to introduce it. They wont need money for formula so they could work that in. They wouldn't have to make a big deal of it, just let it be known. KWIM

I've actually seen a few shows lately where they breastfeed right in the beginning and then the next week it is gone. It is all about jokes and even worse is how every single one emphasises that it hurts. I always thought if it hurt something was wrong. Women aren't going to want to do it if it hurts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 02:59 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Tigo
did you see the grey's anatomy where the woman had breast cancer and it had gone unnotticed because she was bfing and thought it was a plugged duct? And then the mom restented the baby for it since if she had never bf she would have noticed the lump. That one pissed me off.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 06:41 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Lauren is bf'ing on the Y&R.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigo
did you see the grey's anatomy where the woman had breast cancer and it had gone unnotticed because she was bfing and thought it was a plugged duct? And then the mom restented the baby for it since if she had never bf she would have noticed the lump. That one pissed me off.
wow that would piss me off to. Click here to enlarge
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Threat
Lauren is bf'ing on the Y&R.
Is she? How have I missed that? I know she's complained about being tired from being up all night and stuff, but I've missed her saying she's bf'ing. Click here to enlarge

Tigo, that would have pissed me off too.

I just think there are so many moms to be and young impressionable girls the media could reach thru tv shows like that. Make it a more positive thing instead of putting a funny/difficult spin on it.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 06:25 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Did you see the episode where her and Michael went out? She had to call home to make sure that whatshername gave the baby the right bottle of milk because it was going to go bad. I also remember a reference Michael made to her bf'ing and it being the one thing only she could do.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

Well good for them. Obviously I need to pay better attention. Click here to enlarge
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 06:38 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Belle on Days nursed Claire, too.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 08:02 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

On yet another tangent, that plugged duct = lump thing freaks me out. If it goes away though, it's definitely a duct right? I hate Grey's sometimes. They deliberately, blatantly tug the strings and it pisses me off.

Anyway, breastfeeding DOES hurt in the beginning, or at least it did for me. It was excruciating. It's just something you need to be prepared to work through. I mean, you know labor is gonna hurt, but that doesn't stop you from having kids...kwim? That's how it should be portrayed.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 08:49 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittermiss
Anyway, breastfeeding DOES hurt in the beginning, or at least it did for me. It was excruciating. It's just something you need to be prepared to work through. I mean, you know labor is gonna hurt, but that doesn't stop you from having kids...kwim? That's how it should be portrayed.

Yeah, it should be honest but it should continue to say that it does stop hurting. They don't usually portray it that way. Click here to enlarge
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

Yeah, be honest about it hurting some, but not totally quit. That's what I don't get. They either mention it and how they quit or they never give it a try.

Listen to me. It's TV. Not real life. Click here to enlarge
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlrightyThen

Listen to me. It's TV. Not real life. Click here to enlarge
we could do a breastfeeding reality show. That would get a lot of viewersClick here to enlarge
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

There's a woman on The Office from the Stamford office - they showed her pumping out in the open. Last week she had her baby with her at work, but they didn't actually show her breastfeeding.

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

I saw the one last week w/ her with the baby at the office, but missed the pumping one.

Ok, maybe I'm just not observant enough. Click here to enlarge
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Tigo
I saw the pumping one, but again, they had to make her seem like a freak. But I guess thats the whole point of the office. Click here to enlarge
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Click here to enlarge Tigo - they set out to offend as many people as possible, per episode. Click here to enlarge

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in