HELP! - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

HELP!

Breastfeeding has not been easy for me. We began tube feeding formula at the breast in the hospital because she wouldn't stay at the breast long enough to get the colostrum. I pumped as well. When my milk finally did come in I was so engorged and she couldn't get anything so we continued to supplement by tube. Now she is 11 days old and my left breast has decided to not work for me. I've been pumping after each feeding (during the day) and getting barely anything. I'm lopsided, frustrated, and still having to supplement with formula because she hasn't reached her birth weight again. Click here to enlarge I've seen the lactation nurse the hospital several times and she's very encouraging but at the same time I'm ready to give up. Click here to enlarge I purchased fenugreek and mother's milk tea today. Am I supposed to take them both as directed? Anyone have any advice, encoragement, something? VVugh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Noodle
I give you credit for sticking with this. Click here to enlarge

I had wonderful luck with the fenugreek but I would start slow so you don't get engorged again.

Also remember that pumping will never give you the output a nursing baby will, so even if you can only pump 1/2oz, the baby could get much more nursing at the breast.

It is also perfectly normal to have one breast that makes more milk than the other, it is even possible to nurse a baby exclusively on one breast if it came to that - but it won't.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 11:49 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Click here to enlarge with noodle, she is wise

Hang in there sweetie, you are doing great by sticking with it. With your stress level being up you aren't going to be able to pump out that much. Just keep with it to keep that breast stimulated, it should be able to catch up. On that note, one of my boobies (I call it my "shitty titty" because it has this weird milk duct off to the side of my nipple that sprays like a foot out onto the floor with let down, and just about drowns my baby if she stays latched on), only makes about 1/2 the milk of my other boob. It's just one of those things.

Also my shitty titty sometimes has issues with getting the milk flowing. I have much more luck if I use a double breast pump to stimulate both at the same time. Have you tried this?

Thinking of you!!

toe
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Hang in there! I had a bad boob too. It took a little trial and error to figure out when DD was willing to try to work with it. If it wasn't the right time (too hungry, too tired, etc.) she'd scream bloody murder if I even offered it. I pumped on that side for a few days and didn't get much at all.
Eventually she started accepting it after she nursed on the good side. Then I started offering the "bad" side before she was showing signs of being hungry but I figured she was probably almost ready to eat or as she was falling asleep. She was more willing to deal with the bad boob when she wasn't hungry or was getting sleepy.
Try to stay positive. Focus on how well you're doing with only one working boob. Once the other one cooperates you'll be home free. It will happen!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

can you try co sleeping/ nursing laying down offering the 'bad breast' so that she is frequently nursing off of that breast all night?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Sorry I haven't checked back in on this thread. Let me just say...ugh. Addison is 4 weeks on Sunday and things in the breastfeeding department aren't much better. Honestly, I think the breast shield killed it for us. The LC had me use a breast shield because she was early and had problems latching on. The fenugreek upset my stomach so I quit taking it. I'm still drinking mother's milk tea at least 2-3 times a day and it's not doing much for my supply and we're STILL supplementing with formula. Click here to enlarge My left breast has come back but now my right one is acting up. I was >< this close to giving up but talked myself back in to it. I stopped using the breast shell and she has been fighting and tugging at the breast which I assume is because she is used to the easy flow of the bottle. Ow! As of now I'm pumping exclusively and supplementing with formula. I really had no idea how hard this is going to be. I had planned on nursing exclusively and pumping bottles for when she goes to daycare. I'm only able to get 1-2 oz. from both breasts in a pumping session and will likely have to formula feed her. I feel like I have tried everything and failed. Why is this so hard. We are all supposed to be able to nurse our babies. Click here to enlarge

If you have hung on this long, thank you. I guess I'm whiny today.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Juniper
Click here to enlarge I am so sorry you've had such a tough time.

What kind of pump are you using? I found that some of the cheaper pumps did not even come close to working for me.

You have really worked hard at this and tried really hard. You are an awesome mom to be so persistent, even though it's been so tough. I hope things get easier, but even if it doesn't, remember formula is good. Your baby will be happy and healthy and will thrive, regardless of whether she's fed formula or breastmilk.

I wish I had advice to make it go better.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Thank you Juniper. Click here to enlarge I've been using a Medela Lactina.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 07:58 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I went through the exact same thing; I empathize completely. Did the LC offer you a Haberman feeder? I found out about it too late, but it sounded like it would have worked wonders for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in