Why does he ALWAYS need a boob in his mouth? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Why does he ALWAYS need a boob in his mouth?

I know he's not hungry. He can't be hungry. It's worse at night, it's getting to the point that he won't sleep unless there's a tit stuffed in his mouth. It seems better in the day, he'll sleep for decent spells lying in the crib or pack n play, but last night was hell. He was practically turning over in the bed as dh was rubbing his back, turning and squirming and grunting trying to get back to me, keeper of the boobs.

Zach was a bad sleeper, but he didn't have this oral fixation/need to constantly be sucking. It's really bad in that he won't rest his head down unless he's almost asleep. Put him on my chest or shoulder, he practically throws his head off backwards rooting around. He's been doing that part since he was born, but he's more awake/alert/active now and I'm getting more and more sleepy as a result.

I'm scared of becoming the tired angry mom I was the first time around Click here to enlarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Oh yeah, he does take a pacifier, but only for a few minutes at a time. That's AFTER he's done the head thrashing back and forth 'no no no no no no!' and fnally accepts it, only to inevitably pull it out with his hands, since he's still trying to figure out how to shove them in his mouth as well.

And sorry, I realize this should ahve gone in 'just out of the oven', so maybe someone should move it there.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 07:35 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Linus is getting happier with the pacifier...and less happy about being put down, ever. Click here to enlarge

Mickey Mackey Boo Ba Boo
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

I was half expecting sleep issues b/c Zach's infancy traumatized me Click here to enlarge But not the obsessive sucking. That part is new. And of course since I had an appt, both Owen and dh are fast asleep for the entire time I was gone, each in his own bed Click here to enlarge It's not fair!!!

I need a good sling/carrier/wrap. I expect that he won't nap well w/o being held here pretty soon, and my Maya Sling is about to be burned b/c I can't get the fucking thing to work in any way that is comfortable to me or the baby. I had to get groceries carrying him which was actually not very fun or easy. I thought we'd be able to figure out the Maya since I'm starting it much earlier than I did w/Zach, but no dice, and I'm at a loss as to what I should try. I wish there was a place I could try things on instead of shelling out the money for them first.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

a sling and a swing are the things that saved me. The only way gabby would sleep during the day was in her swing with a paci and at night next to me. Nursing while in bed with her on her back and her face tilted towards me me on my side but leaning back. I got sleep and we were all happy. Also she wanted to be held/swung/slung/eating/paci thing till she was 8 weeks. After that it got so much better
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Yeah, he's in bed w/me, but he's still so small and has a hard time latching on w/o some manual help from me. When he falls asleep and the nipple falls out, it starts the rooting/face thrashing/repositioning cycle all over again. Which is why I can't sleep, not to mention that his nursing/suckling is more of playing, and it tickles which doesn't help me sleep, either Click here to enlarge
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 12:54 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

My oldest was like that. I co-slept with her. My second hated co-sleeping and LOVED her paci. Vinny, my 7 week old, acts that way when I am tired and try to co-sleep. He will only sleep well when swaddled. Have you tried to swaddle him? Maybe he is startling himself when the breast comes out of his mouth? Swaddling would help. Sorry Click here to enlarge
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

We did some swaddling at the beginning, but he really, really likes his hands up by his face. And now he's kicking things/blankets off so I am thinking that swaddling his legs will just make him mad, plus he's starting to really let off the heat...not sure how he'd take to being bundled up. Zach was an extrememly restless sleeper, looks like maybe I've bred another one.

And get this...the little fart has been sleeping ALL day. By himself, being held, etc. Like he's been drugged. Yesterday he was awake a lot. I have no idea what tonight will hold Click here to enlarge
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

AHA...classic newborn trickery. He's toying with your emotions Click here to enlarge
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 05:06 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

growth spurt Click here to enlarge
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Noodle
I just wanted to say good luck. We had to play around and find the right paci for Claudia because she was much like you describe. She loves the newborn size MAMs. They are almost flat like the boob is when it is int heir mouth. You might try that if you haven't already.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 07:07 PM
hydrolized gelatin, chick embryonic fluid, and human diploid cells from aborted fetal tissue
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Mystickal Mama Send a message via Skype™ to Mystickal Mama
MM - don't give up on your sling... I didn't get the hang of mine at first either. Do you have the one with rings? I'd be glad to post some tips and tricks to making it comfy.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Call your local LLL leader or go to a meeting. They will help you out with the sling.

It is a bit tricky getting a newborn in one, but it's doable. I liked mine better when I could put him in sitting up against my chest, but we managed the cradle hold, too.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 07:14 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via AIM to bleedsink
MM:
JD is like that. We go through days when he has to be held and nursed all.day.long. (yesterday). Other days he naps for a couple of long stretches.

I'd try swaddling again. It's the only way I can JD to sleep on his back (we have both the Swaddle Me and the Miracle Blanket). Naps during the day are on his stomach (yes bad mommy), when I can get him to take one.

Also have you talked with his doctor about reflux (I think JD might have some and will be asking at his 2 month appointment)? From what I found online the constant need for sucking could be connected. Apparently, the sucking help soothes the irratation - especially when they have "silent reflux."

And my little stinker will take a paci pretty well from everyone but me. My days off and nights are a bit rough but DH has a much easier time with both kids.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Thanks, everyone. I would love some tips for the sling. I have tried putting him in the 'head up' position, up on my chest/shoulder, but he ends up slumping down into a pseudo-cradle hold. I have it pulled as snug as I can get it, and end up with the rings either too high up on my shoulder/neck/it feels too tight, or too close to his head. It's like there's not enough space to keep him snug and keep the rings in a good position. And I can't seem to get the fabric to spread across my shoulder b/c of bad ring position/too tight/something.

Noodle, he actually prefers the silicone Avent paci to the soft MAM ones. Go figure Click here to enlarge
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 07:58 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Merlot, the sling may just be too big for you. Try a Kangaroo Korner sling, she has different sizes.

http://www.kangarookorner.com/

And can I just say that her site has come a long way in 6 years. Wow...
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

You know, I think it is too big. I bought it so long ago (Zach was about 4 mos?) and it's a medium. I'm pretty darn short, I think I must have been wanting to make sure that dh could wear it.

Anyway, I have been looking at the Ergo, but I just hesitate b/c I have a tendency to jump toward something w/o knowing enough about it. I'm just afraid of shelling out the money, and then finding it's not practical to use all day long/in the house/etc. Like, can you pee while wearing it? Click here to enlarge
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 04:17 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I understand completely, that's why I went with what I found would fit me last time, and got a Bjorn. Even that was adjusted almost to it's smallest settings. I tried a Nojo sling(only thing I could find B&M at the time) and I just could not adjust it small enough for me.

This time, I'm going to order a pouch from Kangaroo Korner. I'm going to have 2x a week baseball games, and t-ball games/practices that I'll have to nurse during at least some of them, so I'm planning ahead.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in