Suggestions? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Suggestions?

I had all my teeth pulled last monday. The nurses still didn't tell me what they used to put me out, but I didn't push it just because I had someone keeping both boys until the next afternoon.

Anyways, since I had it done, it seems my supply has REALLY dropped. I never feel full (granted, I don't ever get overfull anyways, but I could always tell when it had been awhile). Daniel eats and eats and eats, never seems satisfied. Then a few minutes later, that is all he wants. When I pump at work (which I can only do once in a 6-7 hour shift since I am alone for 3 hours of that), I barely get an ounce. And that is total from both sides.

So...is it a medication thing (the anesthia, the hydrocodone for pain? I haven't taken any of that since last friday.) Could it be because I can't eat anything but soups and puddings?

What can I do to increase supply? We just had two people quit out of the blue in the past week, so I am now going to start working at least 5 days a week, which means everyday I can only pump once. I need something to increase my supply! I will gladly attempt oatmeal even though I hate the stuff. But we don't have any health food stores here for some of the usual recommendations. We have a walmart and two other grocery stores. Is there any sense in calling and seeing if my doc can give me a script for anything? I guess I am more worried about stopping now. I never expected to go 8 months and now I would really like to make it to a year. He can tolerate formula, but I would like to see him get as much breastmilk as possible!

Thanks for any suggestions any of you may have. I am just paranoid. Last night I fed him almost constantly for an hour and you could still see the soft spot, but finally he seemed much better. I could still express milk by hand, so it almost seems as if he has to work harder to get it? Latch still looks good, it has never been an issue. Maybe I just worry too much...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 07:09 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

If you can see his soft spot sinking you aren't over worrying, don't feel bad giving him formula if his dehydration is visable. Click here to enlarge
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I can just vaguely see it...don't know if that makes much sense. But it did get better (with nursing for an hour almost constantly!) I know he can down an 8 oz bottle of formula like crazy, but I am hoping to avoid going strictly to formula. Just wish I knew what caused all this to happen Click here to enlarge

But rest assured, I will not let him get dehydrated. I get worried if I start to see the outline, and if nursing doesn't seem to help, he will get formula. This sucks! lol
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 06:49 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via AIM to bleedsink
Do you have a a double electric pump?

I know when I was getting ready to come back to work and needed to build up a supply to get some in the freezer the LC at my hospital suggested that after each feeding I pump for 10 minutes for 4 days. And once a day to do what she called a power hour. You pump for 10 minutes, 10 minutes off breast, 10 minutes pumping (etc).

You should be able to order mother's milk tea and fenugreek extract online.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I have a PIS pump that I use at work. I have been working since April, but everything took a nosedive the last week or so. Although I was very very excited yesterday, because I managed to pump a whole 2 ounces. For the past week I haven't even gotten one total ounce. So I am hoping things get better?

Last night he ate good, it wasn't taking as long and he seemed satisfied. Slept good too. Maybe all the medications had to get out of my system lol.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 03:38 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Strange
water water water and then a good hoppy beer-if you can't get hopps tincture

take him to bed and let him nurse all night

oatmeal cookies Click here to enlarge

STFU Mags

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in