One bottle of formula - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

One bottle of formula

Do you think it would be bad if I started giving dd one bottle of formula a day? She's always real fussy between picking ds up from school and his bedtime and I'd like to be able to feed her and play with him more so I thought I could give her a bottle at that time instead of nursing her. Will that mess anything up? Is there a kind of formula that's better than the others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I had dh give Owen a bottle of formula once when Zach and I were playing with something and I just did NOT feel like stopping to bf Click here to enlarge

I don't know what's better. Owen got a butt rash after that bottle (dairy, probably).
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Does she like bottles or formula? What makes you think the formula would make her less fussy?

Lots of moms successfully give a "relief" bottle at some point but I am not sure if it always accomplishes what you would like.

regardless, one bottle a day should not compromise your supply as a whole. It would probably mean playing catch up supply wise if you ever chose to stop using the relief bottle.

To decide which formula you should probably talk to your dr. They are basically all the same with minor differences which may be important if you are concerned about allergy, soy, lactose and etc. but none is superior in and of itself.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 09:02 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Nurse Send a message via Yahoo to Dr. Nurse
Can you pump at all? Just thinking the supply thing like Ima, if you're pumping out a bottles worth that should keep it up. I just bought bottles, just waiting until I get enough freezer stash to have dh try it out. And even if you do just do formula it's not that huge of a deal imo Click here to enlarge.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

the question you really need to ask is "what am I trying to accomplish?"

I dont think a bottle (of whatever) will make your baby less fussy for that time period, necessarily.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ima Cooze
the question you really need to ask is "what am I trying to accomplish?"

I dont think a bottle (of whatever) will make your baby less fussy for that time period, necessarily.
I guess you're right. If dh was here to feed her that formula it would make her less fussy I guess. I can pump, I just hate it and haven't been getting much lately.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

if your dh were there to take her away and let you have time for your other child it would all be moot right?Click here to enlarge

can you carve out another bit of time for the other kiddo?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

My daughter is two months now and I've been having such a hard time sleeping that I hand her over to my husband at about 4 a.m. and let him feed her a bottle of formula. She gets one bottle a day and it hasn't seemed to interfere with the BFing. I suppose I could pump a bottle the night before but I've been so sleep deprived that formula is just easier now.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I'd be concerned about my supply at that time of day, honestly. I know just personally, I'm like a fountain the morning and it can be touch and go at night, which I think is pretty common among nursing women. I'd be worried about limiting the nursing at night, especially if you say you're not pumping all that much off that time of day.

That said, my VERY crunchy ped told me that if I absolutely had to (this was when I was having issues with mastitis and wondering if I needed to wean) supplement or have SO feed dd, as long as they're getting 50% breastmilk a day, they're getting most of the benefits of bf.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to scout
Coop has had the occasional bottle of formula, and it has been fine. I am still the milk-fountain and he's content as long as it's food. Frankly, just shoving the boob in his mouth is easier, though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in