Nursing strike on just one side?? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Nursing strike on just one side??

the last two days, DS has barely nursed on the right side. Of course, my right side is the side with "issues"(blocked ducts) He actually just took a bottle of cold BM rather than be nursed on the right side.

Any ideas? Or am I just going to have to pump to make sure I don't get mastitis again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 11:20 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to terra
I think given everything, I would consider trying to gradually wean that breast from producing, and go to left-side-only nursing and pumping.

A lot of babies pick a favorite around 10-18 months, usually the better producer or breast with faster let-down, and it is hard to encourage them to continue with the other breast.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Click here to enlarge I'm already a cup size different in the right compared to the left. Click here to enlarge

The left has always been the better producer, usually at least 2x as much as the right so that does make sense I guess.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:09 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to terra
I'm sorry! Click here to enlarge I knew someone who could get her young toddler to nurse on his less-favored side by holding him upside down by his feet. She got tired of that after about a week. Click here to enlarge You could try different positions?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:14 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to cheeky
offer the least preferred side first. if they're hungry, they'll go for it. of course, i don't know the back story on the other issues you're having....

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:58 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra View Post
A lot of babies pick a favorite around 10-18 months, usually the better producer or breast with faster let-down, and it is hard to encourage them to continue with the other breast.
Thank you, I didn't know that. My son is almost 10 months & just recently gets really mad if I try to feed him on the right side.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I've tried feeding him on that side first, every time. He gets pissed and will just pull off and then scream at me. Click here to enlarge I can nurse him on that side at night though, so I think that's what I'll just continue doing, for as long as it works that is.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 03:44 PM
Yeah that.
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra View Post
I knew someone who could get her young toddler to nurse on his less-favored side by holding him upside down by his feet.
the visual on this Click here to enlarge
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I got the same crazy visual Megs, and I tried some crazy stuff when I had the blocked duct.

I did manage to get him to nurse on the right side for a few minutes today, and I pumped it once. I'm about to pump it again. I'd love to not pump it, but I can't. If it gets too full, my problem duct(its one on the top of the breast) gives me problems and starts hurting. Once it starts hurting, it's just a matter of time before I have mastitis. I have been cutting down on the pumping time though.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 05:16 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

My left side has been the preferred side by all my kids. My first broke a bit of nipple off so that might be it, but mostly I think it might be me. I'm right handed, I hear out of my left ear and tend to have everything to my left. Even holding a baby on my right shoulder is hard. I used to really have to work at remembering to switch sides. But, I co-sleep and the right breast gets used mostly then.

I also second offering the least preferred side first. When Jaylen freaks out and won't take a side I'll switch her but the next time I will try and hold her off until I know she's hungry and not just wanting to nurse/play and then offer that side again. So far it's been okay, but bc of my supply issues I hold my breath and heart every time, afraid she might just give up on me. Click here to enlarge
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

He's still touch and go on the right side, but I've found he will take it when he's tired, or just waking up, so that's when he gets it.
janet, I'm sure it's because I'm right handed too, thankfully though no supply issues, or if anything, I have a bit of an oversupply issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in