Biting while breastfeeding - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Biting while breastfeeding

My babe is 10 months now and a lot of times he ends his nursing sessions with a bite on my nipple and it hurts like crazy. I try to look stern and put the boob away, but I don't think it bothers him because he was done with that boob anyway.

I look stern for a couple of minutes, and talk about how that hurts mommy, but then I switch him to the other side and when he's "done" there, many times I get another nip.

He doesn't do it when he's sleepy or relaxed.

Any thoughts, advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 06:41 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

If you really watch you can tell when he's about to bite. I used to nurse ds with my finger right next to his mouth and when he was about to chomp I'd stick my finger in there real fast, then say "no bite" and end the nursing entirely.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Punk Kids - 12 Years Old & 7 Years Old

Send a message via Yahoo to PunkassPie
Yeah I remember with Harrison I would do what chickenhead said to do, he didn't do it very much.

This baby though she has started pinching me and it hurts like a mother! She's like pinching me with her fingers but with only one, like pinching my skin in between her knuckles or something. It's hard to explain.

It's not a feeling, it's a knowing.

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
I'll buck the trend, I don't think her kids are all that in the cute department. not all kids are cute. they have other attributes that make up for that, but look at tweedle's aiden, that is a cute kid. and your kids mel, those are adorable kids. Her's are average. I wouldn't take a second look passing her on the street.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

punk, my 6yo would pinch the inner part of my upper arms. Click here to enlarge I had little bruises there for months.

Mikey has bit me once, and it was more of an "experiment" than anything. Once he his precious boobie taken away and placed on the floor, he realized that experiment wasn't any fun, and hasn't done it since.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

He's still a biting little bugger. I have a cold booby tube on my right boob as I type this. I've been watching for a sign that he's about to bite, but I haven't spotted it yet and I'm tense and fearful, which isn't good for nursing. Biting has now turned into his "dismount" for lack of a better term. My husband suggested that I just let him nurse for about 4-5 minutes and then bust him off. Maybe get him out of the habit of biting. I hope that works. I don't want to wean him and he seems to really still enjoy nursing so I don't think he's not trying to wean himself.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

With ds the sign was just that just jaw would open the tiniest bit (I guess in preparation to chomp down).
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Well the good news is he hasn't bitten me in at least 3 days. Knock wood. I talked to a Lactation Consultant too and she had a couple of suggestions (just to make nursing as cuddly as possible and to have a teether ready if he does bite). She felt it was a normal stage so I hope that's all it is (was? I hope I hope).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in