Talk me down! - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Talk me down!

I'm totally freaked out. I just found out today that I have to go to Florida in August for a busines meeting. About 3.5 days away from baby. He will be 6 months at the time, and I assume that we will still be nursing.

I'm so incredibly worried about going and pumping and what do I do with the milk, and will DS have enough to eat while I'm gone, and what if I have to give him formula.

Click here to enlarge Tell me it's going to be okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

It'll be fine, make sure you have a decent freezer stash, bring your pump,and make sure you have a fridge in your hotel room.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to LulaFortune
You've got from now until August to start stashing - you should be fine. Bring the pump with you and even if you have no way of keeping it and have to dump (Click here to enlarge) you'll be using it to keep your supply from dipping. Call your hotel now to make sure a mini-fridge comes in your room OR if they have one they can supply.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

You will be okay. You can do it. Click here to enlarge
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to terra
I'd be a worried wreck, too. Is there any way your husband can take those days off, and he and your kids come with, and it be like a vacation for them? You'd still have to pump and bottle feed much of the trip, but it would let the baby nurse at night and not dip too much into your stash.

Definitely try to work in an extra pumping session until your trip. Consider using fenugreek or something to boost supply until after the trip. If he has to have some formula, it isn't the end of the world- not even the end of your breastfeeding relationship.

What part of Florida?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

You can do it, start hoarding the milk now.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

I don't think it's fair to DH or the kids to have them come to Orlando in August to sit in a hotel room. There is really no way it's going to be fun for DH to watch a 6 month old and a 5 year old in the heat of Florida in August. Also, I don't think we can afford to pay for three plane tickets and more accommodations. If DH could just come with the baby, it might work, but that isn't an option for us.

I'm already taking Fenugreek, and I think I'm going to be on it for at least as long as I need to pump. I'm currently pumping 4 x a day at work and once at night before bed. I need to pump that much to get four bottles of about four ounces each. However, I send DS to daycare with five bottles (for insurance for those hungrier days), and I need some stash in case he eats all five bottles.

My plan is to pump as many times as I can during the day at the meeting and then at least twice before bed and probably once during the night, even though DS sleeps through the night, and then at least once in the AM before the meeting. I'm guessing that I'm going to be dumping it all because I don't know how to get it back. I think I can probably get the last day's worth back in my luggage if I have a place to freeze ice packs. I just want to keep up my supply.

My plan of attack before the meeting is to try to freeze four bottles every weekend. That is going to get me close to having enough for when I'm gone, unless DS ups his intake. If that happens, I'm not going to be able to keep up with him and we will probably have to supplement.

I'm really stressed about this. Usually in my first pumping session at work I get one full bottle and a little start on the second. Today I got one bottle that is a bit short and no start on the second. DS nursed three times instead of the usual two before I left this morning. I'm drinking a ton of water and taking the fenugreek, but I'm really scared of failing and having to give him formula.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I would ship it back in a cooler if it's going to be a lot.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Yep, I'd ship it back too, Fedex overnight it. And I am betting if you call the hotel ahead of time, they can help you store it. Freezer bags store flat, so you could always put it all in those, keep them in the fridge, and bring them back on the plane that way.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Punk Kids - 12 Years Old & 7 Years Old

Send a message via Yahoo to PunkassPie
Lyerin my first thought is do you absolutely have to go? Click here to enlarge

If you do I think you received some good ideas on this thread and it sounds like you are doing so much already with all the pumping sessions, water and fenugreek. I can be stressful when you're working, just trying to make enough. How long is he at daycare during the day and does the amount he eats during the week coincide with how much he eats during the weekend? I am always amazed at how much some babies eat at daycare. Maya still only has three 4oz bottles a day. One thing to also think about, he may be on some solid food at that time and not drinking as much milk as he is now.

I would try to find some way to bring that milk back. You don't want to deplete your stash. Good luck, you can do it Click here to enlarge.

It's not a feeling, it's a knowing.

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
I'll buck the trend, I don't think her kids are all that in the cute department. not all kids are cute. they have other attributes that make up for that, but look at tweedle's aiden, that is a cute kid. and your kids mel, those are adorable kids. Her's are average. I wouldn't take a second look passing her on the street.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 06:05 AM
Samantha Louise, 12 years old on 1/14/16
Hard-Core Sybermom

Of course you can do it!

And it's August. Plenty of time to prepare. No sense borrowing trouble now. Click here to enlarge

--cited as one of sybermoms' most normal members.

http://365project.org/iowafalduto/365
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

If your little one will be 6 months old by August, he'll likely be starting solids so that will help keep up his caloric intake in conjunction with your stashed milk.

I had to do a three day work thing earlier this month (my son was almost one). I made my husband and son come. While physically I could have probably been away from him (done a bit of pumping in the hotel room), emotionally I'm not ready to be apart from him overnight.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

If you start saving even 1 ounce/day now, that's 77-80 ounces in the freezer for the 3.5 days you're gone. You can add a touch of formula to the BM if you have to while you're gone.

Or you could get your husband going on lactating Click here to enlarge
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Well, I'm stashing like crazy.crazy christa After this weekend, I should have about 74 oz. in the freezer.crazy christa I figure I want to have 200 in there to be super comfortable when I'm gone that the baby will have enough.crazy christa I'm trying to stash at least 4-5 bottles worth a week/weekend.crazy christa There are about 9 weeks left where I can stash (I'm taking one Sunday away from the baby so the stash milk will have to stay that week). So I should be able to build up an additional stash of 144 oz. Obviously that gets me over the end goal.

If I make it to 200 or close, then DH will stay here with the baby.crazy christa If not, he's going to bring the baby with him to FL with me.crazy christa DD is going to stay with my parents.crazy christa It won't be a fun trip for DH, but at least it will be less stressful WRT his eating.Punkass, yes I have to go.crazy christa This is a meeting called by the president of the company and there is NO option not to go (unless I don't want a job anymore).47, Click here to enlarge, I don't think that DH wants to lactate, but I'll check.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Click here to enlarge is up with that filter?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in