Weaning questions - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Weaning questions

Ok ds is 13 months old and I swear the child still nurses like he's 6 months old. Of course now he has this thing where he is always putting his hands down my shirt and rubbing my boobs. Click here to enlarge Its funny but at the same time very annoying.

I've been thinking about weaning him since we are over the 1 yr mark. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease, where my thyroid keeps jumping between hypo and hyper. I put off taking the meds because of me nursing. My dr said it would be ok to take but if I could put off taking it as long as possible while nursing that is even better. I've been feeling ok but I want to start feeling awesome. Like my old self so to speak. I want my hair to quit falling out and my heart palps to go away.

So I think I've done a good job on getting Braden thru the 1st year. 13 months to be exact. Click here to enlarge So how do I go from nursing from 7-8 times a day down to weaning? I can't remember. The last one was 18 months old and he self weaned. Braden is just sooooo attached to the boobie I just know it will break his heart. Click here to enlarge That is his comfort...when all else fails boobie makes everything all better.

He has to nurse to fall asleep. He still wakes 2-3 times a night to nurse. What am I going to do? Not to mention he thinks he can play with them any times he wants to. Click here to enlarge

Help me wise Sybermoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 07:15 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Don't ask, don't offer? I don't know, 6yo self weaned, and baby hasn't nursed to sleep in a few months, and is down to 4-5 times a day nursing, usually just for 5 minutes or so.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I'm curious as to why your doc said to not take the thyroid meds while breastfeeding. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's after my oldest was about 4 months and I've been on either Synthroid or Levoxyl ever since. I was never told to not take the meds while nursing. Is it some other medication they want to put you on?

As far as weaning, start by cutting out one a day - first one of the morning is a good place to start. Once he's used to not having that, then eliminate another one. As far as night-time, can your SO do the honors of rocking him back to sleep for one of the feedings?

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

For daytime, offer a cup of milk every time he wants to nurse. That's what I did for Luke to get him to stop nursing during the day. He still nurses from time to time during the day, but not too often. Of course, offer food when he wants to nurse out of hunger.

Nighttime weaning is obviously much more difficult! I would say lose the nighttime weaning last. Let him nurse to sleep, but instead when he wakes up at night offer him water/milk. I was a cosleeping momma with my oldest so when he woke up I'd give him a cup and then pat/sing/snuggle back to sleep, despite the screams and the tugs at my shirt.

It's hard, but if it's time to end then it's time. You did great Click here to enlarge
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Lips I tend to stay on the hyper side more than the hypo. The synthriod won't help with that. I would have to go on PTU. Which my family dr says is fine to take but my OB suggested that I hold off unless I start feeling worse. He said that its ok to take but I would have to have Braden's thyroid checked because it could affect him. I hate the thought of having him poked and prodded if I don't have to. But thats my personal hang up.

I keep getting conflicting stories as to my own care and I don't want to have to add Braden to that mix. So I figured if I could wean him by 16 months then I wouldn't have to worry about it. I know its going to take a few months so I thought I would gradually start tapering down on the nursing session. Of couse little man may have other plans. Click here to enlarge But we'll see how it goes.

Heck I've thought about saying screw the dr's but I want to feel normal again. Click here to enlarge When my heart goes crazy I have this thought of keeling over from a heart attack and leaving my babies to fend for themselves. Click here to enlarge Thats why I'm so confused on my own treatment. My blood tests jump all around and leaves my dr so baffled that all he can do is shake his head. Its so weird.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Yeah that.
Hard-Core Sybermom

BN, the chance of ptu affecting his thyroid is very very slim. I am on it and E is totally fine.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 03:20 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Weaning questions

Here you can post your questions, if you have them, to God, if you want to.

Ill start first:

How can you cope, sit by, as the people you have created continue to harm eachother? Dont you see what I see? All the missery? Dont you want to end it like I want to do?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 07:22 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Gotcha. By the time I was diagnosed my thyroid had shut down (after being hyper for a while) so I went right to Synthroid.

Hope the weaning goes smoothly. Click here to enlarge I've been starting to think about weaing B because I don't know if tandem nursing is something I want to do, but she is like Braden, still quite the frequent nurser so we'll see what happens.

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in