Mastitis & dumb doctors - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Mastitis & dumb doctors

So I have mastitis. It's Sunday, so urgent care is the only way to get abx. The doctor asks why I'm there and I tell him it's mastititis, I've had it with every baby at least once, I can diagnose myself immediately, I just need abx. So he proceeds to give me a full breast exam, as if looking for lumps. He is clearly confused by lactating boobs, and doesn't know what to make of the fact that one is empty and one is engorged. Click here to enlarge Then he tells me I absolutely can't nurse on the affected side. Click here to enlarge I explain that, um, nooo, that's exactly opposite of the truth, and he wants to know who told me that?! He will go and "look up the most recent recommendations" and prove to me how crazy that is.
He had the good grace to apologize after "looking up the most current recommendations" (google? Click here to enlarge) and to admit that he, uh, doesn't see many "lactating ladies."

Mickey Mackey Boo Ba Boo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Just ick! Ask your ob/gyn if they'll give you some abx samples to have on hand just in case that happens again.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Ouch. Did he palpate the infected breast? I only had a rip roaring infection once and I probably would have kicked the doctor if she had touched it.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

wow... unfortunately most drs know next to nothing about breastfeeding.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

My nurse practitioner wasn't anti-bf, but I always thought it was funny that she said a few times "oh, I couldn't do that". She has 3 boys. I assumed she was unable not unwilling, but who knows? I just thought it odd that she was a nurse, a woman with 3 kids and I knew more about bf than she did and I knew very little.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 07:29 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

sounds like the doctor I had on base. He was rather confused by the fact that I was breastfeeding.

Remember to take Activia and do you have any anti-fungal medicines? The only bouts of thrush we ever dealt with had to do with the antibiotics.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I saw a doctor once and he was so awkward when it was time to see my boob Click here to enlarge He was like "uhm, I guess I should look at it now" and I just whipped it out and it was bright red and he was like ok, that's good enough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in