I'm at a loss here. - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Yeah that.
Hard-Core Sybermom

I'm at a loss here.

Eleanor is getting to be absolutely miserable to nurse. It's almost to the point where I'm dreading our time because she's all over the place.

Rolling around on my lap CONSTANTLY. If she hears a noise, she pops off and whips around to see what's going on. She's much less patient with working it until let-down and then when the milk finally does start flowing, she's fine until it starts to slow down (about a minute in) and then she's pissed that it's not quick enough for her.

Click here to enlarge

She's gaining weight perfectly fine and has plenty of wet diapers. So I guess she's getting enough but I definitely don't feel like I'm her primary source at the moment. She's eating way more food in her high chair than any of my other three did at her age.

I'd started giving her some water in a bottle because I was worried that she wasn't getting enough milk from me to stay hydrated. She takes sips here and there when she's eating but I don't feel like she's downing the bottle or anything.

I'd even *gasp* given her a little formula after one nursing session because I felt like maybe she was still hungry (she was particularly fussy but I'm thinking it's teething) and she drank maybe 1-2 oz of it. So it's not like she was downing 4 oz to fill her belly, you know?

I feel like she's trying to wean but I'm unsure of what to do. If I could have my way I'd get my still, patient baby back and we'd continue nursing for a long while. But that's not going to happen. And frankly, I'm just about aggravated enough to let her wean. But she's only 10.5 mo. And it's not like she'd take a bottle of formula to get her nutrition.

But then I'm thinking is 12 months really some magical age where they don't need breast/formula anymore? Am I stressing about this too much? And I just need to continue nursing her every three hours until she's a year and then just let her do her thing?

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Thanks for making it this far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Is she teething? I know that's always the first question, but the times that B has seemed like she's ready to wean have been when a tooth is working its way down. She was like that over the weekend, and I was getting annoyed, and lo and behold I noticed a tooth popped through today.

Susie, my 5 year old, was my power-eater. Put it on the high chair tray and she'd eat it, no questions asked. Meat, chicken, fish, veggies, fruits, etc., etc. The more the better. She also nursed until she was 3. She started on whole milk around 15 months but still nursed - I didn't night wean her until she was around 18 months.

Maybe you could try cutting out a session or two and see how she does. Our schedule is first thing in the morning, after her morning nap, a quick one before her afternoon nap, then before bed. And of course on-demand at night. *yawn* Not every 3 hours, definitely. I could probably drop that one before the 2nd nap, too.

Hope she calms down for you soon. Click here to enlarge

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

When Rosie started to be like that, I took it as a sign that she was ready and willing to wean. I didn't enjoy that phase and she was happy to quit, so we were done by 15 months, just cutting back gradually.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Yeah that.
Hard-Core Sybermom

If she were 1.5 mo older I'd so let her wean because we're both miserable at this point.

She latches on just fine and then she gets aggravated that it's not flowing and she tries to flip over on my lap and get down. So I flip her back toward me and she cries because I won't let her down. (If I do let her get down, she cries because I put her down Click here to enlarge) I shush her for a sec and re-latch and she works it for about 5 seconds until repeating the flip trick. We do this about 10 times until my milk finally lets down and she gets her small fill.

Lips, we're already down to 4-5 feedings a day since she's sleeping 12 hours at night Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

I do think she's teething but maybe I should pick up that 10pm feeding again since she'll likely nurse well since she's in a sleep coma.

I'm sad because I really want to nurse her for at least 18mo Click here to enlarge
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to terra
It's hard with other kids about, but if you have eliminated teething as a cause, try going to a room where it is quiet with no distraction. She is at an age where she wants to DO and SEE, and if she isn't starving, sitting still and concentrating on nursing may be too boring to be worth it beside a nip to tide her over.

The other thing is maybe extend time between nursing session. Nothing says that it needs to be every 3 hours, on the 3 hours. I have never timed it, but I know we have had times with every kid where they would go 4 or even 5 hours during the day without nursing, and then sit down for a good feeding, and follow with another an hour later.

I give a limited number of chances. Even the baby as young as he is. By the third or fourth time, I say all done, and close up shop. He gets pissed sometimes. If a cuddle doesn't fix him right up, we will try nursing again. When he is older, I will still warn him if he is fooling around we are done, and if he keeps going, I will put everything away and put him down. 90% of the time when I did that with the older two, they were delighted- they weren't really hungry, and wanted to play.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I also did add in a dream feed when they were at that stage when they were so busy I worried they weren't bringing in enough calories. Click here to enlarge

For the teeth, try letting her suck on a damp washcloth- pop it in the freezer for about 10 min, let her gnaw on that about 15 min before nursing, for about 10 min.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 07:08 AM
Punk Kids - 12 Years Old & 7 Years Old

Send a message via Yahoo to PunkassPie
Isn't the 10 month old time notorious for baby's getting fussy with nursing and that is why a lot of people end up weaning then? I think I remember hearing that.

Since our girls are practically twins in regards to doing things at the same time of course I can relate, see my biting thread and the freaking out Click here to enlarge. I think it is related to teething and she finally finally! got a new tooth yesterday. But I do what terra does, if she doesn't want it then I try again later. I don't nurse every three hours anymore either, although DH is still sure she will expire if she doesn't eat every three hours Click here to enlarge. It's probably more like every 4 hours or so, or just whenever it's "time". And we have to be in a room all by ourselves and DH and Harrison know that when I'm feeding her they cannot come in or even peek their head in or be loud by the door because she will want to see what's going on.

How long does it take for you to let down? Can you try something to distract her after you first latch her on and before you let down? Like a nursing necklace or your hair or something?

Seriously though, I can totally relate. Lately Maya will grab both her feet and will just play with them, I can wind up with a foot on my face Click here to enlarge.

It's not a feeling, it's a knowing.

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
I'll buck the trend, I don't think her kids are all that in the cute department. not all kids are cute. they have other attributes that make up for that, but look at tweedle's aiden, that is a cute kid. and your kids mel, those are adorable kids. Her's are average. I wouldn't take a second look passing her on the street.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Yeah that.
Hard-Core Sybermom

Feet in the face is a common occurrence Click here to enlarge They also know my stink eye when they walk in to our bedroom and I'm nursing her. It means GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE WITHOUT EVEN TAKING A BREATH. Click here to enlarge

Thanks for the suggestions. My bet is that it's teeth plus the 10-month-old curiosity.

I probably do need to let go of the every three hour thing I just get paranoid that she's not getting enough since she's sleeping through the night and I'm worried my milk supply will dry up. I've never nursed a singleton this long (weaned Hayes around 6mo) and I never, ever worried about my milk supply with the twins I don't think. I'm going to pick up that twighlight feeding and I'm certain it will ease my anxiety.

Let down takes anywhere from a minute early in the day, up to five late in the day. A nursing necklace is a really good idea. Where's a good place to find one? Is there anything in particular I"m looking for?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Your supply may drop, but it will continue to meet her needs if you nurse on her cues, and offer nursing before solids.

http://www.breast-buddies.info/page2.htm

http://earthybabes.com/Store/WsDefau...FR2dnAodghNjLQ

http://www.mommynecklaces.com/
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 08:52 PM

You can just make one out of your kid's craft supplies. Just string some beads on a string and throw it around your neck, or grab something long from your jewelry box. Hang in there Megs Click here to enlarge

Oh and Click here to enlarge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs View Post
They also know my stink eye when they walk in to our bedroom and I'm nursing her. It means GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE WITHOUT EVEN TAKING A BREATH.

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
I'll buck the trend, I don't think her kids are all that in the cute department. not all kids are cute. they have other attributes that make up for that, but look at tweedle's aiden, that is a cute kid. and your kids mel, those are adorable kids. Her's are average. I wouldn't take a second look passing her on the street.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Yeah that.
Hard-Core Sybermom

Thanks gals. Click here to enlarge I think I needed to hear that I'm not alone or crazy Click here to enlarge
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Alone, no. Crazy... well.... Click here to enlarge

B refused me twice this morning already and it is only 11:00 am.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 09:54 AM

I got refused once already today too Click here to enlarge

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

These girls are in cahoots.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I remember getting frustrated with the older two now, as well. "You're hungry! I know you're hungry! Why won't you eat!?"
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Yeah that.
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetThereBeLips View Post
Alone, no. Crazy... well.... Click here to enlarge
Sez the woman with a Click here to enlarge already Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs View Post
Sez the woman with a Click here to enlarge already Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Beck hardly nursed at all today. Way too busy trying to stand up and cruise the furniture. It's about damn time she did that, but take time out to have a good long drink of milk!

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Yeah that.
Hard-Core Sybermom

She keeps biting me Click here to enlarge

Today she got me so good I swear I thought I was going to see blood dripping out of her mouth like a vampire. And I yelped so loud I scared the absolute shit out of her and she was breath histing (I have no idea what this is really called but it's when you're crying so hard your breaths sound funny). It took me about 10 minutes to calm her down.

I see the two teeth on the bottom. Like the little holes have finally formed. This is the tough part, right?

How is it that I've nursed four babies and this is my first real biter? I know I should count my lucky stars but GOOD HELL ELEANOR YOU ARE HURTING ME Click here to enlarge
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 08:00 PM

I've never heard of breath histing but I know what you're talking about Click here to enlarge. Ohhh poor mommy, that had to hurt to badly Click here to enlarge. And poor baby too. It has to be the teething, she just doesn't know what do to and she wants to bite things.

I remember two things from when I was nursing Harrison and reading nursing books, say No biting and take the boob away, or smoosh their little face into the boob. I don't really get that last one Click here to enlarge but try to do the first one? But when you are in shock and in pain I know that's hard to do.

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I've done the boob-smoosh thing, and I swear my kids will smother before they STOP BITING. I just would keep a finger handy to get in between their teeth to push them apart, saying NO loudly and firmly, and put down.

It passes. I hope she feels better soon. In between nursing, put cool compresses on you, to help with the pain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in