Weaning help... - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Weaning help...

Well, not really with weaning, more like with getting her to drink milk. I've started to "not offer, not refuse" with Becky, and she pretty much has no desire to nurse during the day at all now. She'll laugh at me, actually and launch herself off my lap. When she wake at night (at least once) she nurses herself back to sleep but even that is more comfort nursing than nutritional nursing. I'm guessing the flavor has changed enough due to pregnancy that she doesn't want to be bothered with it anymore. Honestly I am not horribly upset because it gives me back my boobs for a few months.

So, she's fine with a sippy filled with juice-flavored water as I like to call it. Mostly water with a splash of juice.

I got some whole milk and I've been offering that in a sippy as well. She'll take a drink, wrinkle her nose and put it down.

Should I just keep trying with the sippy of milk? Try a regular cup? Try soy or something other than cow's milk? The other two transitioned easily. Oldest was using bottles since she was in daycare and middle nursed happily until she was 3 but would also drink milk from a sippy without a fuss. So this is new to me. Click here to enlarge

Any hints and tips are greatly appreciated, as always!

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Punk Kids - 12 Years Old & 7 Years Old

Send a message via Yahoo to PunkassPie
I guess keep on trying. Good luck!

It's not a feeling, it's a knowing.

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
I'll buck the trend, I don't think her kids are all that in the cute department. not all kids are cute. they have other attributes that make up for that, but look at tweedle's aiden, that is a cute kid. and your kids mel, those are adorable kids. Her's are average. I wouldn't take a second look passing her on the street.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to terra
I just wouldn't stress it. We don't do much milk here- the kids get maybe 6oz over the course of a week, and have pretty much always gotten that little. We get calcium, fats, vitamin D, and protein from other sources.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Punk Kids - 12 Years Old & 7 Years Old

Send a message via Yahoo to PunkassPie
I just read my reply again and wow, I'm helpful Click here to enlarge. I just didn't want to read and not respond but seriously that's what I would do Click here to enlarge.

It's not a feeling, it's a knowing.

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
I'll buck the trend, I don't think her kids are all that in the cute department. not all kids are cute. they have other attributes that make up for that, but look at tweedle's aiden, that is a cute kid. and your kids mel, those are adorable kids. Her's are average. I wouldn't take a second look passing her on the street.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Don't worry, PAP. Click here to enlarge Sometimes the short sweet responses are the best. Click here to enlarge

Thanks Terra - I make a batch of pancakes just about every other day now with whole milk and she downs them like I can eat m&m's. And she likes eating grilled cheese sandwiches now too so I know she's definitely getting the calcium. As long as she'll drink some fluids she's ok, right? Juicy water and plain water is fine?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 06:01 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Maybe try the next step formula. I know there are some babies that actually like that stuff. I had to do that with my last son. He didn't like milk but actually liked the formula. Nasty as it may be he drank it. Click here to enlarge
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetThereBeLips View Post
As long as she'll drink some fluids she's ok, right? Juicy water and plain water is fine?
Click here to enlarge

I also found that when my milk started drying up, around 5 months, Bbaby became a VORACIOUS eater. Girl could have survived (and did! Click here to enlarge) on breastmilk as long as I let her, ~20 months old? Then she started eating, grew inches and lost pounds. It was crazy. Click here to enlarge
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 06:08 PM
First day of school
Hard-Core Sybermom

None of my kids liked milk until after they'd stopped nursing for several months. Between yogurt and cheese they always seemed to get plenty of dairy. Even now my 5 year old doesn't often drink milk, the almost 2 year old is just about done with nursing and still makes a face if I offer her milk to drink but will have it on her cereal or oatmeal, the 10 year old would drink it by the gallon if I'd let him, and the 7 year old drinks 1-2 small glasses a day but would prefer to drink juice instead.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 06:55 PM
MIZ
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I was going to suggest yogurt - the Stonyfield yo-baby ones are whole milk, and yummy, and I used to buy the Kefir drink and put it in a sippy cup for my kids.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Click here to enlarge Drinkable yogurt. Owen still won't drink plain milk most of the time, but a half container, or even less, of the yogurt mixed in is enough to get him to guzzle a sippy full of milk.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Thanks, MM - that sounds like a good idea. I'll pick some up at the store tomorrow. Click here to enlarge

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

And Miz! Click here to enlarge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in