Going back to work - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Going back to work

Click here to enlarge Next week I go back to work after my 7-8 mo maternity leave. I have been giving Ian two bottles of formula a day to get us ready for this transition. (I have no decent place to pump).

How long should I be able to keep up my supply if I am nursing in the morning and at night? Anyone with a similar experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 07:02 PM
Punk Kids - 12 Years Old & 7 Years Old

Send a message via Yahoo to PunkassPie
Well first I am totally jealous of your maternity leave and Click here to enlarge, I know it will be hard to go back.

I don't have any experience but I'm worried for you, won't you be really sore? I would guess your body will adjust and you will be fine.

It's not a feeling, it's a knowing.

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
I'll buck the trend, I don't think her kids are all that in the cute department. not all kids are cute. they have other attributes that make up for that, but look at tweedle's aiden, that is a cute kid. and your kids mel, those are adorable kids. Her's are average. I wouldn't take a second look passing her on the street.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 05:19 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

IIRC, if you are taking milk out, you should still produce milk. I think that you can go a long time even just nursing a couple of times a day. Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Thanks, Ly.

Pap, I'm worried that I'm going to be sore. I don't think that I have made it through a full workday (7-6) yet. Sigh. I think I'll bring thepump and if it is horrible, I can try to find a place to pumpo at lunch.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 04:57 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Nan, I bought a Medela hand pump (I can't remember what it's called but it's the one that isn't electric). I've never used it (it has been washed in the dishwasher but never used). I'm happy to send it to you if you want it - that way if it comes down to it you could even pump in the bathroom if you were really engorged. Let me know.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I nursed in the morning (if she got up before I left) and at bedtime with DD when I went back to work (she was a year old). She only went about 2 months but I think we could have gone longer if it hadn't been for other factors that caused her to self-wean (teething, a cold, etc.) Your body will keep making enough to support whatever you take out, so if he nurses 2x a day your body should make enough to do that indefinitely. Good luck, I feel for you going back to work, it's tough. Click here to enlarge
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

I have a little hand pump that I can bring to work, if I need it. Thanks though. That is really nice.

Agnes, that's good to hear. I went back to work when dd was 13 month old and we just nursed at bedtime and through the night Click here to enlarge. She weaned at 16 months.

With ds2, I'm not sure how long it will last since he is 7.5 mo. I don't want to be done yet. Click here to enlarge
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

When I went back to work, I could only pump once a day for about 10-15 minutes. I was able to pump about 1 oz. and that was it.

The babies had formula while at daycare and nursed morning and night. I was able to maintain my supply no problem. They are still nursing at 13 months and now I don't even bother pumping whille at work.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Click here to enlarge Dallas That is what I was hoping to hear.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Ds had bottles at daycare and I kept my supply up (I went back to school when he was 3.5 months). They started out as EBM but by 10 months we had to start supplementing with formula. He was out of daycare by 11.5 months. I was a student and at an internship so I rarely had time to pump and sometimes didn't pump at all. He still nurses now and is almost 16 months but we don't do it everyday.

I'm worried about the new baby though b/c I have to go back to school at 4 weeks PP Click here to enlarge and I am a horrible pumper. I know I will have to use formula very early on with this one even though I am not happy about it and will try to use as little as possible. I just have to work it out until he is 4.5 months and then I will be officially a SAHM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 07:24 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

We probably dropped down to nursing 2X/day around a year old. Nursing in the morning worked well, but he'd get all bitey and fidgety for the evening nurse so I eventually stopped it. We still nurse every morning for 5-15 minutes depending on his mood and there is milk. I don't know how much but he seems content with it. Anytime he's sick the boobs come out full force though. It's such a wonderful way to comfort him in the middle of the night when he feels like crap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in