If that isn't a sign we are all getting old and having fewer babies, I don't know what is.
Imma post here anyway.
Some days, I am so happy and proud to be tandem nursing, and still nursing my giant toddler. He only nurses a couple of times a day, and usually not for more than 10 or 15 minutes, so I normally am totally fine with nursing him. He has such a positive association with nursing, and normally isn't a super aggressive nurser, and is patient and all. Extended nursing is normally good for both of us.
Then there are times like today, when he wakes up, and I say, no, we aren't going to nurse because the baby needs a diaper change- let's get up and get breakfast. He cries, breaks my heart, I tell him we can nurse a little. He nurses a few minutes, and we are good to go. Then, around 10:30, he starts telling me that we should go lay down and he should nurse. I tell him, no, not right now. He tries to convince me, but is basically fine with it. About an hour later- around when he normally naps- he starts getting loud, so I ask if he wants to go lay down. He drops what he is doing, and is all, "YEA! Let's do it! Let's go nigh nigh! I LOVE nigh nigh! Let's get ba ba!" So I follow him.
What proceeds is 30 minutes of the most annoying nursing on earth. He is rolling around, rubbing his hand in my cleavage, scratching at any mole he comes across (I have one on one forearm and one on my chest, and he picks picks picks at them), kicking his feet, etc. I put a leg across his feet, finally, and he unlatches and tells me his feet are stuck, and can I help him open them. He is happy to get down and go play, not sleepy at all. Little turd.
He'll be 2.5 in less than a month. My husband has indicated (several times
) that he feels 3 years moves into the "kind of weird" territory, and he would have a problem with it (though acknowledges it is really my territory, and while I will keep his feelings in consideration, it is my call). He does understand the benefits of extended nursing, blah blah blah. Anyway, my toddler, as mentioned, is only nursing a couple times a day- a little morning nip, a little evening nurse before I leave the room with him fully awake for him to fall asleep on his own, and nursing down for nap. The nap is the only one that takes longer than 10 minutes, though often only takes 15-20. He will fall asleep in the car, and will transfer about 30% of the time (he will wake up the other 70%, though usually in a good mood). He will NOT fall asleep at home without nursing, under any circumstances. So, weaning will effectively end naps. And if he doesn't nap at home, he DOES fall asleep the next time he is in the car, and if it is after about 3 (pick up time for the kids from school), it makes bedtime harder. But, if he doesn't nap, he is unhinged starting around 5 until bed at 8, 9 times out of 10.
I still kind of want to wean.
I love that he is still getting something out of it, and if he were my last, I don't think I'd feel this way. Or maybe I would. Nursing toddlers can be annoying, yo. But I have the baby, so weaning him isn't an "ending"... for me.
I'm torn. I probably won't listen to advice, because I am a jerk like that, but, if you read this, and have any thoughts on it, I'd like to hear them, anyway.