This forum is so empty LOL - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to terra
This forum is so empty LOL

If that isn't a sign we are all getting old and having fewer babies, I don't know what is.

Imma post here anyway. Click here to enlarge

Some days, I am so happy and proud to be tandem nursing, and still nursing my giant toddler. He only nurses a couple of times a day, and usually not for more than 10 or 15 minutes, so I normally am totally fine with nursing him. He has such a positive association with nursing, and normally isn't a super aggressive nurser, and is patient and all. Extended nursing is normally good for both of us.

Normally.

Then there are times like today, when he wakes up, and I say, no, we aren't going to nurse because the baby needs a diaper change- let's get up and get breakfast. He cries, breaks my heart, I tell him we can nurse a little. He nurses a few minutes, and we are good to go. Then, around 10:30, he starts telling me that we should go lay down and he should nurse. I tell him, no, not right now. He tries to convince me, but is basically fine with it. About an hour later- around when he normally naps- he starts getting loud, so I ask if he wants to go lay down. He drops what he is doing, and is all, "YEA! Let's do it! Let's go nigh nigh! I LOVE nigh nigh! Let's get ba ba!" So I follow him.

What proceeds is 30 minutes of the most annoying nursing on earth. He is rolling around, rubbing his hand in my cleavage, scratching at any mole he comes across (I have one on one forearm and one on my chest, and he picks picks picks at them), kicking his feet, etc. I put a leg across his feet, finally, and he unlatches and tells me his feet are stuck, and can I help him open them. He is happy to get down and go play, not sleepy at all. Little turd.

He'll be 2.5 in less than a month. My husband has indicated (several times Click here to enlarge) that he feels 3 years moves into the "kind of weird" territory, and he would have a problem with it (though acknowledges it is really my territory, and while I will keep his feelings in consideration, it is my call). He does understand the benefits of extended nursing, blah blah blah. Anyway, my toddler, as mentioned, is only nursing a couple times a day- a little morning nip, a little evening nurse before I leave the room with him fully awake for him to fall asleep on his own, and nursing down for nap. The nap is the only one that takes longer than 10 minutes, though often only takes 15-20. He will fall asleep in the car, and will transfer about 30% of the time (he will wake up the other 70%, though usually in a good mood). He will NOT fall asleep at home without nursing, under any circumstances. So, weaning will effectively end naps. And if he doesn't nap at home, he DOES fall asleep the next time he is in the car, and if it is after about 3 (pick up time for the kids from school), it makes bedtime harder. But, if he doesn't nap, he is unhinged starting around 5 until bed at 8, 9 times out of 10.

I still kind of want to wean. Click here to enlarge I love that he is still getting something out of it, and if he were my last, I don't think I'd feel this way. Or maybe I would. Nursing toddlers can be annoying, yo. But I have the baby, so weaning him isn't an "ending"... for me.

I'm torn. I probably won't listen to advice, because I am a jerk like that, but, if you read this, and have any thoughts on it, I'd like to hear them, anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

45 minutes later, he came back, pleading for a nap. 15 minutes of nursing, out like a light. Thank dog.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I forgot about this forum, actually Click here to enlarge Thank you for reminding me there's a place for me to say OMG I WANT TO WEAN HER SO BAD GOTT IN HIMMEL MAKE IT STOP Click here to enlarge
She's having none of it. I bought her this lovely book, Nursies When the Sun Shines, about night weaning, and it has helped. But only in the sense that I have an official motto to chant while she's wailing and flailing and kicking me two or three times a night. We are gradually getting more food calories into her, but nursing is still the base of her diet, not just a comfort thing. She is ginormous (haven't weighed her since January, when she was 31 or 32 pounds, but she has outgrown most of her 3Ts and wears some FIVES) and I cannot keep up with that caloric demand.

Mickey Mackey Boo Ba Boo
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

B was like that. Know what helped slow her down?

When I got pregnant. Click here to enlarge

Seriously, though, night-weaning saves sanity. Click here to enlarge
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Nurse Send a message via Yahoo to Dr. Nurse
I'm so over nursing. I weaned Trent not long before I got pregnant, then I was pregnant now I'm nursing a kid who is the most obnoxious nurser ever. She flails stands in my lap pulls on and off Click here to enlarge. She'll be 9 months in a week t minus 3 months until I can wean her during the day Click here to enlarge. Already she eats well and loves food so there is that.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Julia was a super nurser, and would have gladly kept going until God knows when. Click here to enlarge But at 2 1/2, I was done. It really was as simple as saying one night - No more mimis, you are a big girl. (and I know I've said this before)- She said "Can I hold the mimis?" and so I sat there, leaning over her toddler bed, so she could hold my boobs to go to sleep. Click here to enlarge We did that for about a week, then transitioned to other nighttime rituals. It wasn't bad.

The good part about weaning a toddler is that you can, somewhat, reason with them. Somewhat. Click here to enlarge Good luck. Click here to enlarge
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 07:28 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Deirdre is not reasonable. Click here to enlarge
She is hilarious, though. This morning she told me "Your nursies are beautiful. Them are the best nursies in the big wide world." Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

She also tells me, often, "Your Mum milk tastes delicious." Click here to enlarge

Mickey Mackey Boo Ba Boo
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 02:17 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I'd like to be done nursing, but at the same time I know I'll be sad when she finally stops. We nurse right before nap and right before bed still.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in