BFing and Low Carbing? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 07:34 PM
poobutt
Ambulance Chaser

BFing and Low Carbing?

Hi,

I'm still BFing my 5 mo. old DD, and I want to continue until at least she's a year old. However, I have PCOS, and the symptoms are coming back, especially these evil mood swings. Low carbing has helped me before (got me pregnant! Woo hoo!) and I think it'll help my moods. However, how will it affect BFing? I'm not doing this to lose weight (I could never lose weight low carbing); I just need a handle on these moods.

Has anyone low carbed and bf'ed at the same time? Is it safe? I'd love some input.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 07:55 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Low carbing should be okay if you're getting enough calories. Doing the induction portion of Atkins, or anything that would throw your body into ketosis, is not recommended.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 07:57 PM
mynameismom
Ambulance Chaser

I have pcos too and would like to lose weight low carbing. I haven't been able to find any sites that say what the recommended amount of carbs is.

Sorry your symptoms are coming back. Low carbing is the only way I can lose weight but don't want it to interfere with b/f. Good luck
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 04:11 PM
MamaCow
Ambulance Chaser

I tried Atkins a few times while we were nursing and my supply dropped about 30%. Carbs and sugar make milk. It sucks because it is a great diet.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 05:48 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2003, 01:54 PM
Just AmyG
Ambulance Chaser

Low carb is fine when nursing, as long as you don't go too low.
Like any dieting while nursing, the best way to approach it is to figure out where you are NOW--weigh yourself, and write down what you eat now. Then look at how many carbs you are currently eating in your average day. Then start to slowly lower your carbs(or calories if you are a calorie counter) each week by a reasonable amount. Like calories, try dropping 100 a week, re-evaluate after a week; in carbs maybe drop 20 carbs this week and see how you feel, and how your weight is effected, AND how it effects your milk. Instead of using Atkins and dropping your calories SUPER low, and then slowly build back up to a reasonable level where you lose your weight and feel your best, work backwards, and just slowly lower your carbs until you find the level that works best for you, your milk supply, your PCOS and your weight....

Hope that helps!

AmyG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in