C-Sec Moms--Was this right?!! - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

C-Sec Moms--Was this right?!!

An acquaintance just had a baby boy via c-sec. During the first hour, the hospital apparently gave the baby sugar water. I was under the assumption that BF babies shouldn't be given sugar water ever, but then I was told that it was different b/c she'd had the C.

Is this right? Should they have done something different? I'm trying to offer her some BFing support, since she doesn't have much around her, but I want to make sure my info is correct, since my BFing experience didn't involve the same issues as hers does.

TIA
--Nancy L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 11:27 AM
eatmeallup
Ambulance Chaser

I have had 3 sections and they only gave my middle boy sugar water because his blood sugar dropped dangerously low. I had gestational diabetes and it's very common for those babies sugar to drop after birth. Having a section has absolutely NOTHING to do with it. Her baby probably would have been given glucos if she had given birth vaginally as well.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 11:47 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Here is some information on the subject
www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T021400.asp

Should they have given the baby a bottle of glucose water? That is hard to say...is it possible there was some medical reason for this? Or was it just "hopital policy"?

The main thing is, did the bottle affect the baby's latch? If not,then don't dwell on the past. Just help her focus on getting the breastfeeding relationship established.

www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html
www.breastfeedingonline.com/31.html

Has she contacted her nearest LLL Leader?
www.lalecheleague.org/leaderinfo.html
Does she know about LLL online chats?
www.lalecheleague.org/chat/chat.html
Both of these would be great sources of information and support!Click here to enlarge

If she is facing criticism from her family and those around her,this would be helpful...
www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/criticism.html
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 12:13 PM
mommamegan
Ambulance Chaser

no, its not right. Babies should never be given sugar water. Like with any other birth the baby should be brought to the mother as soon as possible to nurse.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Unfortunately, she is surrounded with 'faint support'--people who BF for a couple of weeks, but quit b/c it was too inconvenient, and a DH who is most likely going to be no help at all.

From what I know, the latch is going well. I'm going to make sure she has plenty of Lansinoh, and make sure that she knows about those links, in case she does run into any problems.

Thanks for the help!
--Nancy L.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 10:03 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Barbie
don't stress about the sugar water.
And if the latch was affected, it won't help to dwell on why. I've successfully nursed two through bottles in the hospital (#1) and tube feedings for #2. Just try to be there for her with help since you don't think she's getting it at home. My best advice is to try to encourage her to rest with the baby and not worry about the house, etc. Everyone I know who stopped nursing early used that for a reason - it took too much time and they had other things to do.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 10:16 AM
kwl718
Ambulance Chaser

I've had two sections...the sugar water has nothing to do with the surgery. I was able to nurse DS#2 while they were still sewing me up (DS#1 was a preemie and headed straight to the NICU).

Sometimes, hospitals use sugar water as a pain killer during the heel stick for the state mandated blood testing. It is somewhat effective, but nursing is even more so. My hospital did the sugar water thing (they wouldn't let me nurse while he had the stick, they said he'd choke...bullshit, but whatever, I didn't consider it worth a battle).

There is nothing special about nursing after a section, other than the obvious avoidance of putting the baby right on your incision! A bobby pillow and nursing lying down help avoid that. Shoot, I'd think it would be alot easier than having to get up and down from bed to get bottles!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 10:22 AM
kwl718
Ambulance Chaser

That should have read "boppy pillow"...I've no idea what a "bobby pillow" is!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 04:24 PM
GirlOnTheWay
Ambulance Chaser

My nephew was born via c-section and had sugar water shortly after being born. His mom (my SIL) had gestational diabetes as well, so I think it was just to bring his sugar back up since hers was low from dealing with 36 hours of labor before the c-section. I honestly don't know if it's hospital policy to give them a bottle like that right off or not.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 10:55 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I wouldn't dwell on it. Had a c-section, didn't breastfeed right away, baby was monitored for 2 days in special care due to low blood sugar and we did fine. The breastfeeding got off to a good start regardless. Hope she finds some good support. Why do people stop because of inconvenience? I have never figured that out. What could be more convenient? No bottles, no waiting. I always loved long weekends off from work because I didn't have to make bottles or clean bottles. I could just feed her and spend time with her. With the help of pillows, I could feed her while I was eating.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 06:35 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Had a c-sect with both of my boys. Porter wasn't a prob, but J had some breathing difficulties, and had formula (gasp!) via NG tube b/c of low blood sugar. Our hospital is EXCELLENT about finding alternatives if you REALLY dont want your child to get any sort of bottle. No long term effects.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in