(Night) weaning help - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Maevele
(Night) weaning help

My son will be two next month, and is still nursing like a madman. Like 5-6 times a day, and at least that many times at night. I'm going nuts. We had been telling him both that when he was big he'd stop needing the boob, and that he'd start sleeping in his own room soon, and he decided to go with the sleeping in his room, which would be great, but since he's still nursing so much, I'm sleeping in his room with him, just so I don't have to get up 5 times.

Anyhow, i've got the pantley book, and was using some of those suggestions before he moved to his room, but none of it is working now, he has totally backslid. I also have the "nursing mother's guide to weaning" but they don't cover the night thing so well. I had "planned" on having him weaned by 2, but now if I can just get him night weaned, he can bloody well go on nursing for a few more months, if he'd just let me get some sleep.

I asked at an LLL meeting, and I got a lot of talk about how this one's kid night weaned at 33 months, and that one weaned halfay through pregnancy #2, which was NOT helpful.

Anyhow, I'm just hoping some of you innovative women have some great suggestions for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 02:29 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Here's what I did. You mileage may vary, but this is more inspirational than the 33 month old...

When Zoe was about 20 months, I stopped nursing her to sleep. I'd still nurse her in bed before sleep, but before she fell asleep I'd say, "Just a little longer. [count to 10] Okay, that's it. Now it's time to go to sleep." And I'd lie with her until she fell asleep.

When she was about 23 months, we night weaned. When she woke in the middle of the night and asked for it, I'd say, "No mom'o' until the sun comes up." There were a few nights with crying, but not the heart-breaking crying just the frustrated crying. Then it all worked out.

During this time I made no resctrictions on day time nursing.

Here's the thing, though. I had made previous attempts, but they resulted in the heart-breaking crying. I figured that meant she wasn't ready and I gave them up. Tried again, gave them up. Tried again, and it worked.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2003, 11:14 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I'm not sure how helpful I can be - I just night-weaned my toddler only to back off and resume night feedings when he came down with an ear infection- but I did night-wean my first, and I have to say that it is actually easier, IMO, to night-wean while still co-sleeping, especially at your child's age - like Momtose said - you are always right there for him, comforting him with touch and voice, while explaining that he can't nurse until it's light out.

I also agree that it's worth trying, and backing off if there's heartbreaking crying involved, and trying again in a few months.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2003, 12:27 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

good luck. I am in a similar boat. I have been in the process of getting ds to sleep all night. I was doing the no boobie until morning, and it worked pretty well. He just keeps getting sick and then we backslide back to nursing again. we are starting again tonight on the boobie goes nite-nite.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 10:23 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

excuse my typing, i sprained my wrist.

my ds is going to be 2 in may. i just night weaned him. in three days he went from waking about 3-4 times a night to sleeping through. before that he had never slept through.

i just started telling him how we were not going to be nursing at night anymore, and stuck to it. i too was sleeping in his room for convience. i now get to sleep in my nice big bed, with my dh for almost all of the night.

if your going to do it, i think the most important part is sticking with it. good luck.

YO!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 05:29 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

We nightweaned a couple of months ago when our little guy was 15 months old. Up to that point he had never, ever slept well. Like 7-15 wakings on an average night. We used
Dr. Jay Gordon's nightweaning plan more or less. It was easier than expected, but wasn't terribly successful - he wasn't nursing for most of the night, but he would toss and turn and cry, signing milk over and over... Ugh. Finally, we realized that he wasn't getting that whole 6 hour period thing that Dr. Jay recommends - he knew I would nurse him eventually and he was just holding out waiting for it. So, I stopped nursing in bed completely. We had one bad night, one better night, and then he started sleeping. Like through the night. Like 7-8 hour stretches. Like un-frickin-believable.

He does nurse more during the day, but I don't mind that...

Good luck to you...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in