sigh - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

sigh

I am not really asking you all what I should do, but what should I do? Click here to enlarge

My supply can no longer keep up with DD, 19 months. I still oblige her anytime she wants to nurse, and had planned on letting her self wean, but I am empty before she wants to be done. So, inform the ignorant, is my supply dropping kind of sort of connected to self weaning? To sound really cold, how much work is it to get my supply back up? At 19 months old I am not sure how much effort I want to put into to upping my supply when I think she is just about ready to wean anyways. She spends way more time playing and exploring then cuddling now and I think once summer hits she will just want me for sleeping. So, even though I am not asking you to tell me what to do...what would you do?

Go with the flow or do whatever it takes to up your supply until babe decides they are done with nursing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 04:55 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I've never been in your situation and I don't have any advice, just wanted to say good luck with your decision.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 05:58 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

If she is getting plenty of other foods, I'd probably go with the flow and take the opportunity to make sure she can be transitioned to cow's milk (even though I don't really think cow's milk is a necessity) and then (once she does wean) I would probably mourn the end of an era Click here to enlarge and celebrate the beginning of a new one!Click here to enlarge

But since I haven't been in your shoes yet, I'm just guessing.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 07:11 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

If you're interested in getting the ol' suppy up, may I suggest some brewers yeast supplements? Or you could drink a beer after she goes to bed or something. Seriously, it increases the supply massivly. (at least, in my case it has)

Also, pump after each feeding, even if you think you're empty. More stimulation=more production.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 07:18 PM
bake1856
Ambulance Chaser

What makes you think your supply is low? I've had times when I swore I wasn't making any and she'd fall asleep and there would be milk in her mouth. I say go with the flow. As your child gets older you the nutrients in your milk become more concentrated. So although he/she is not taking as much, he/she is still getting the same amount of antibodies. I assume it's true of nutrients too. My dd sometimes seems to have lulls in nursing. Then different things will increase the frequency (colds, teeth, etc).

Good luck with your decision.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 08:25 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I feel like I am in the same situation. DS is 13 months and I have stopped pumping during the day at work. When he nurses to sleep in the evening he seems to get frustrated with the amount of milk that he is getting after a couple of minutes. I want him to nurse as long as he likes, but I'm not really going to do anything to increase my supply at this point. What I have been doing when he starts getting frustrated is switch him to the other side. A couple of times I've had to switch back and forth 2-3 times before he's done and falls to sleep. Seems to be working o.k. so far.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 11:48 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
If she is getting plenty of other foods, I'd probably go with the flow
I agree. 19 months is wonderful, and the stress of trying to bring your supply up isn't worth it, IMO.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 01:44 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Noodle
At that age, I'd go with it, and let her self wean. I would not attempt to increase my supply unless i was worried about her eating habits otherwise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in