anyone here work and breastfeed an older baby? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 08:30 PM
lilmomma
Ambulance Chaser

anyone here work and breastfeed an older baby?

my df wants me to start working when our son is 10 months (next month to the day) for some extra money for when we get married... it will only be for 6 hours. im only going to work part time where ever i get a job. i really dont want to stop breastfeeding though. i wanted to let jayden self wean. will i still be able to do that? as of right now he has to nurse before he takes a nap or goes to sleep and he breastfeeds for real about 4 times a day and 4-5 times at time (thats not counting all the little ninny snacks and comfort sucking). you think a 9 month old can go 6 straight hours with out nursing? have any of you done it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 09:02 PM
Nina
Ambulance Chaser

I'm guessing you mean has anyone gone back to work when their baby was this old? I've worked since ds was 6 weeks old, but have talked to others.

Anyway. Does he take a bottle at all? Have you tried? Has someone else tried with you out of the house?

A number of things might happen: he might take a bottle of ebm just fine (have you gotten a pump and given it a try? it can take a while to get used to pumping). If he will take a sippy cup, he could get liquid that way. I have heard of something called reverse cycling (there's another post on here about it). From what I understand, the baby might just not want to take a bottle and will nurse a lot when you are together. If he is getting solids, he will probably be just fine.

As for nursing to sleep, my son does the same thing. But when he is at daycare he goes to sleep for her. She usually rocks him to sleep, or just holds him, or sometimes he just goes to sleep where ever he is (carseat, playpen, etc.). They behave differently for other. When you find the right daycare it will work out.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 09:05 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I think again, it will take some getting used to for him. Of course, the first few days will be an adjustment for him, but I think once he gets used to the schedule, he should be fine for 6 hrs, especially if he is on solids. Maybe you could gradually switch his feeding schedule to where he will have his solids while you are at work?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 09:12 PM
lilmomma
Ambulance Chaser

i do have a pump (avent) i had to pump for 2 weeks while my son was in the hospital. he was born early and has to stay in nicu. and another 2 just to get him use to the breast.... but now he wont take a bottle or cup of milk for anyone. he will take a few sips of water or juice out of it when he's eating his meals though. but thats it. so you think if he eats solids in between the time i leave and get home he will be ok and i wont have to pump?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 10:16 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

He'll probably be okay w/o breastmilk for the time you are at work. Though, i would have caregiver TRY to give him cup of ebm. You will probable want to pump for comfort and supply. Was it an Avent Isis? Do you still have it?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 08:30 AM
lilmomma
Ambulance Chaser

Quote:
Originally posted by Momtose
He'll probably be okay w/o breastmilk for the time you are at work. Though, i would have caregiver TRY to give him cup of ebm. You will probable want to pump for comfort and supply. Was it an Avent Isis? Do you still have it?
yes, and yes i still have it. but how would i have time to pump?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 12:30 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

My dd is 11 months old and wouldn't take a bottle or cup of milk until the last couple of weeks. Before then, she would get solids and water while at daycare. I go and nurse her on my lunchbreak and she has solids in the morning and afternoon.

As far as going to sleep, when dd is with me I have to nurse her to sleep. At daycare, they put her in her crib and say night night and she lays down and goes right to sleep.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 12:30 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I wanted to add that before she drank ebm from a cup, I would still send some to put in her cereal. That way she would still get some nutrients from it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 02:22 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally posted by lilmomma
yes, and yes i still have it. but how would i have time to pump?
In the 6 hour shift, do you get a break? In a 15 minute break you should be able to pump some. It's not like he's undr 6 mos and you have to pump all his food. Now anything you pump is better than none.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2003, 10:03 AM
momiam
Ambulance Chaser

Where's he going to be while you are working? If he's staying with a relative or friend, you might want to try some trial days so that he can get used to the new routine and falling asleep by being rocked, taking a bottle, etc. As far as pumping goes, it kind of depends on how much solid food he's eating. By 12 months, my son was going from 7 - 12 without nursing or a bottle. He would eat solids and drink water. His choice. He just would refuse the bottle and wait for me to come home at lunch. At 10 months, though, he was still taking about 2 oz during that time frame. If you don't have time to pump at work, I would try pumping first thing in the morning. And start now so that you'll have ebm for trying bottles and maybe some extra for your freezer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in