Am I being horribly selfish? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

Am I being horribly selfish?

Okay, I was thinking of posting this on the ME, but the thought of an ME flaming sorta scares me (Just call it the cherry in me) So, I'm going to post it here. Feel free to "nicely" flame me if you feel the need to do so!

My DS is 16 months old. About two months ago, he weaned...I'm guessing it was because I'm pregnant and when my milk changed, he decided he didn't like it. (I'm guessing that because one day, he latched on, gave me a disgusted look, said "Yuck" and hasn't nursed since.)

Well, today, as I was changing, he crawled up on my bed and just latched on and started nursing away. He gave me the look he usually gives me when I give him veggies (he doesn't like them very much) but continued to nurse anyways. Eventually, he unlatched, laughed and walked away. I'm not sure what to make of this. I'm not sure if he's just feeling a change because the baby is coming and wants to go back to something comforting, if he realizes the baby will be nursing and wants to establish his place again or if he just actually wants to nurse again.

When I first got pregnant, I had no problem with the thought of tandem nursing. I actually looked forward to the bond I thought for sure my youngest would share with his brother due to it. I was actually quite bummed when my DS weaned. But, now I've gotten used to it. I actually became relieved because I know I get touched out really easily when I'm nursing and realized I probably wouldn't be able to handle two nursing. I was also relieved because not wanting to nurse created an independence in my son that I hadn't seen before. He no longer wanted to be on my lap constantly. He would actually go off and play by himself or with his sisters, which is something he wouldn't do before.

Now that I know he may want to start nursing again, I'm feeling this sense of dread. I'm just not sure I can handle two nursing at once. But, I don't want to tell my DS no. I mean, how horrible is that? "I know you want to nurse again and if you weren't going to have a little brother, I'd let you, but not only are you not going to be the baby of the family anymore, but you can't nurse either." But, I'm just dreading possibly nursing two at once.

So, please tell me to just suck it up and think about the feelings of my DS, or tell me you understand. Tell me what you would do. I think it may just seem so bad right now because I'm hugely pregnant and SO sore and tired. But, that really isn't going to change all that much when the baby is a newborn. I just don't know what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 06:59 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Awww, first of all cause this isn't the main event maybe I will get away with some ((hugs)). I understand, I have a 24 month old and a 12 week old. Mandy has mentioned noonies a couple of times but I really don't want to tandem nurse (I think it is great for people who are up for it!). I feel badly because Mandy is my baby too but she weaned when she was 15 months old and I am tired already without the added pressure of nursing her and being touched out is also a big thing for me. Fortunately I have been able to distract Mandy and she hasn't mentioned nursing in a couple of months.
Best wishes with whatever you decide!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 07:16 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

You won't get any flaming from me. Click here to enlarge You are definitely in a tough spot. I personally would not let my older child start nursing again if I were in your position. The nursing relationship consists of 2 people whose feelings matter equally. If you aren't feeling like this is something you can handle, don't do it. You need to be a happy mom to be a good parent to all of your children. If nursing the toddler will make you feel touched out, those feelings will spill over to the baby too. The baby NEEDS to breastfeed and he deserves to have a happy willing mom just like your toddler had when he was a baby. Since your toddler has not started nursing full force again, I would just gently tell him no by distracting him if he wants to do it more often. You let him try it, which I always advocate- and you may even let him try again once the baby is here and nursing, but I wouldn't let him start nursing frequently (daily). Of course you have to do what you feel comfortable with, just know that you aren't a bad mom if you don't let him nurse full time again. GL!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 06:28 AM
LIKE A BOSS
Hard-Core Sybermom

I agree with June Click here to enlarge
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2003, 10:36 PM
Ambulance Chaser

I too agree with every word June wrote.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 01:07 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Barbie
What June said.

And most likely he was just trying it out, he *probably* won't want to start nursing again, is my guess!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 01:21 PM
Ambulance Chaser

I can uderstand the mixed emotions about this. Those thoughts are normal though. I agree that if you don't think you are up for tandem nursing then you shouldn't feel bad about not allowing it. You need to keep your sanity for both of your children's sake. Your doing a wonderful job. Keep it up.Click here to enlarge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in