Ready to quit! - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to LucyLooLoo
Ready to quit!

Ouch. I am an emotional wreck because of the nipple pain (mainly the left one, but the right one aches when not in use, too), and feelings of complete inadequacy and moo-cow-dom. Evan has already gained a whole pound since birth, so I know he's getting something good out of breastfeeding, but I am constantly miserable.

My left nipple is a little flatter than the right, so he has some trouble latching on, even when I pancake it. I'm afraid to introduce a nipple shield, but am starting to think that would be better than avoiding letting him nurse on that side (it's not so bad laying down, so when I need to, we go and lay down). I have breast shells, but have not had much luck with them. My breast pump seems to draw my nipple out, but not until I've made a significant milk donation to it, and by then Evan is quite angry from waiting.

I have 4 different nursing bras, and I hate them all.

The "good" news is that we've already been much more successful with breastfeeding than I was with DS #1 Click here to enlarge

Somebody tell me it's worth it.

You want a piece of me, present roll?

What about you, Asshole?

wishing you eternal tomfoolery, goob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 12:56 PM
Ambulance Chaser

Honey, if nursing wasn't worth it, do you really think I'd fight chronic thrush with both my kids and EP for the first one just to be sure they got the good stuff? Believe me when I say I feel your pain. It will get better between 6-8 weeks. That's about how long it took before it didn't feel like my head was going to blow-off from the force of curling my toes up so tight. Just take it a day at a time. With my thrush, somedays that's the only way we make it.

As far as the bad nipple, my left one is slightly flat/inverted and if I hold it like a cig between two fingers just behind the nipple, he can latch on to it. As he grew, it got easier for him to grab. He still prefers the right and somedays I'm a little off centered but it works. If you can believe it, the bad nipple is the only way I can NAK. I'm right handed Click here to enlarge Try to stay away from the nipple shield they are Click here to enlarge

Have faith in yourself. You can do it! Click here to enlarge
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 01:25 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

It is SO worth it. Just give it a full 6 weeks. If things haven't gotten better by then, you can start thinking about giving it up. I bet 2 new nipples that you'll be feeling a lot better by then. By 8 weeks, you'll be an old pro. Click here to enlarge You can do this!
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 01:36 PM
Ambulance Chaser

Hang in there....It is worth it!

It is worth it! I am nursing #4 and the first two children were very difficult but after a month of nursing everything was okay. When ds was born I had to have an emergency c-section. So that first couple of days I was so drug out. Old dr that was as cooky as can be. I remember informing the nurses that I was planning to bf but they stuck a bottle into his mouth instead of letting me nurse him. When I got home I was so sore because ds wouldn't latch on correctly. I had blood blister on the left breast. I was about to give up just like you when my aunt drove all the way up from South Alabama to Birmingham to help me nurse. She had nursed my cousin for 18 months. Well I made it and when I was pregnant with dd I decided once again I was going to nurse. This time nursing in the hospital was easy. The nurses were supportive along with my new ob. But when I got home I ended up with the dreaded Mastistis (spelling wrong probably) and I thought my nursing was over. Well thanks to a very supportive dr and nurses I made it and nursed her for 10 months. Then when my third child was born nursing was like something I had done all before. And number four I am still nursing. So hang in there. It is well worth it. Just make it through this first month! Click here to enlarge :hugs
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to LucyLooLoo
Yeasty--I finally understand your username! Click here to enlarge

Thanks for the quick and honest responses--I'm in a better frame of mind right now, and reading what you have to say helps some more. Click here to enlarge 2 weeks down! Click here to enlarge

You want a piece of me, present roll?

What about you, Asshole?

wishing you eternal tomfoolery, goob
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 01:46 PM
Ambulance Chaser

Back in the day, I was known around here as Yeasty Tits. Dropped the tits when I got pregnant Click here to enlarge No sence changing it as I am a flora-challenged mother. Click here to enlarge
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 02:57 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I had flat/inverted nipples and only got 3 decent latches in the first week, even with nipple shields/shells to draw them out. DD dropped more than 10% of her body weight and had to stay an extra day in the hospital for jaundice. Things weren’t much better when I got home so I pumped for a while and then gave up altogether. I’d had a nasty pregnancy and, at the time, it seemed like the only way to save my sanity but now I’m sorry. You’ve already made it so much farther than I did and your baby is thriving so try to stick out one more day. I know it's hard but one more day could make all the difference.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 03:32 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Strange
Your post brought back some not so distant memories of dd's first few weeks of life. Click here to enlarge I came so close to quitting so many times.

Take it one day at a time...one feeding at a time.

I have flat nips too. I've had to wear these breast shields http://www.medrhino.com/medbpump/ with both my kiddos.

Can you nurse on the right side while pumping on the left to pull your nip out? With your kiddo's weight gain he's gonna be strong enough to pull out that nip and get a good latch soon.

I gave up on nursing bras this time around and bought some nice cotton regular bras that I just pull up when dd wants to nurse.

STFU Mags
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 04:24 PM
Ambulance Chaser

At two weeks I was thinking, "I'm 1/12 of the way!" (My original goal was 6 mos.) At three weeks I was thinking, "I'm 1/8 of the way." At...

Eventually things fell in place and I stopped counting! Click here to enlarge
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 09:07 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Don't give up yet! As everyone else has told you,it will get better. Around 6 weeks seems to be the magic number for most moms.

About the nursing bras...I had one that opened from the outside instead of the top. I liked it much better than the other styles. Also,some companies are now offering a sports nursing bra. They shouldn't be too hard to find. As another poster stated,some moms use a regualar *stretchy* bra and pull it over to the side or up. If you try this,make sure the bra doesn't put alot of pressure on your breasts. If it does,it could lead to plugged ducts.

About the soreness...have you seen an IBCLC or LLL Leader?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 01:43 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Originally posted by Momtose

Quote:
At two weeks I was thinking, "I'm 1/12 of the way!" (My original goal was 6 mos.) At three weeks I was thinking, "I'm 1/8 of the way." At...
I can totally relate to this! When I had my first ds, I kept couting down how much time I had to breastfeed. By the time I got to 3 months, I didn't even think about it anymore.

The nipple, um, discomfort and pain during let-down was completely gone by the time I was nursing for about 10 weeks. This time around with ds#2, there was pain during let-down, but no nipple problems at all. Keep going and it will most likely turn into a nice, easy experience.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 05:25 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I have a flat nipple on one side. Better than pancaking my breast, it helps if I cup my breast and push toward my nipple, making it fuller in the areola. When I pancake, she slips right off but with this other technique, she has more to create a suction on.

Hang in there! I didn't nurse my second dd pain-free for about three weeks and my first much longer than that. when it all finally comes together, though, it is well worth it. No bottles to worry about. Warm milk available on demand. Plus, you know you're baby's getting the best. I agree with setting small goals for yourself. 6 weeks. Then 6 weeks more.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 07:26 AM
Ambulance Chaser

I almost quit so many times, Lucy. I hated it at first, I mean really HATED it. I would cry the entire time I nursed her it hurt so bad. But being stubborn made me stick it out, I kept telling myself just ONE more week. One more week. And before I knew it, nursing didn't hurt anymore and I was finally starting to "get it".

Good luck, Lucy, and have faith in yourself. Click here to enlarge
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 10:00 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Good luck Lucy, you can do this. I agree that once you hit 6 weeks it will get easier.

Btw, he's TWO WEEKS old already? wow! Click here to enlarge

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 02:19 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticFrig Send a message via Skype™ to CelticFrig
I'm right there with you Lucy. Some days are worse than others and I'm not even having the physical problems you are. Our issue is gas. It seems like no matter what I eat or how he feeds, he has terrible gas which leads to pain, late nights, no sleep, and a very irritated baby. It has gotten a little easier, but there are still days I'm not sure I'm going to make it with breastfeeding. We are at 5 1/2 weeks now. I think daily about the 6-week mark that everyone mentions in terms of improvement and hope fervently the same is true for us.

Right now, we take one day at a time. Hopefully we will reach our 6 month goal. I don't have any advice, but I can offer my ear for commiseration. Hang in there.
Dana

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in