HELP I am in PAIN - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

HELP I am in PAIN

I have been nursing dd for almost 2 years(in August). She is just about weaned. She mostly only nurses at night. Not very often. She went to my moms for 2 nights. At mom's she is fine. She only wants to nurse if I am around. She does this with dh to. So at the rate she was going I think she may not want to anymore once she gets home.
I want to self wean but I am just about ready to stop myself. I think it may have somethign to do with our fertility problems. I think she is ready.
I am starting to be in a lot of pain. I am leaking a little. I don't want to pump b/c if she gets home and doesn't want to nurse again, will I be hindering the process of drying up my milk?
How do I go about this? Should I pump a little. All of it.?Should I pump some for her to have in a cup for when she wakes up at night.
Anything for the pain. How long will it take. Anything else I may have forgotten?
I thought my milk was just about gone but I haven't been this engorged since she was like 2 months old and then I just nursed to help it. Will this cause a clogged duct HELP. PLEASE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 07:29 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I have no advice on the weaning/ not weaning subject. That is a totally personal thing and you have done a great job nursing your kid for 2 years. When you stop is up to you and her.

As for being engorged, I would take a couple of ibuprofrin (sp?) or tylenol for the pain. I have heard that cabbage leaves in your bra help a lot, but I have never tried it personally. Maybe you can hand express just a little milk to make yourself more comfortable. Or take a bath and let the warm water do the work for you, just leak into the water. Maybe alternate that with cold packs if that feels good. Stay away from beer and oatmeal as they will increase your milk supply.

Good luck! I hope the pain lets up soon.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

I took some tylenol and I am off to take a bath.
I know I am going through this for nothing. I know I am going to nurse her as soon as she gets home. I can't make her thoughClick here to enlarge
My mom said there was a pill to make your milk dry up. I told her that I don't think they do that anymore.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 07:57 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Hope you and your dd have a happy homecoming. Whatever happens, it will be ok. And I think they may still give out the pill, but I am guessing that you are most of the way there already. It's been 2 days? Maybe a few more is all it should take...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

I hope so. We're going to the lake for the 4th. At least I'll be perky, for the first time in forever in a bathing suit Click here to enlarge
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 10:06 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Good luck... sounds like you are both ready to wean and that's great.

I don't really have anything to add... if you do get a clogged duct, make sure to massage it under a warm shower so that it goes away and you don't get an infection.

If she doesn't nurse, the pain/engorgement should subside pretty quickly, in a matter of 2-3 days...

Let us know how it goes and again, good luck!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Don't you hate it when you type a really long post and then you lose it. I replied and then my computer went down.
I said that I am weak. I pumped it all out and saved it in the fridge.Click here to enlarge
Dh and I looked up some info on weaning and had a talk and decided to wean her slowly over the next few weeks.
I think I am more ready than she is. I have just been getting a lot (more) flak as it gets closer to her 2nd bday. Dh said that he is going to help me to wean her and he is going to step in if any more negative comments are made.
I do not know if she will want to nurse when she comes home. If she does, which she probably will since she hasn't seen me,We are going to cut out a session each day. I will distract her unless she really insists. Hopefully together we can do it over the next few weeks and do it right.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 12:40 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Barbie
first of all, only wean if that's what you truly want. Not just because of idiots who say things.

that said, I weaned my oldest very slowly. I was just nuring her at night then one day I realized it had been a day or two since she had nursed. It was nearing New Years and I decided to "don't offer, don't refuse" to see how she did. She never asked to nurse again. (I really wanted some champagne that New Years, Dh had brought back a bottle of Dom Perignon from Bosnia...that's another story...).

but the best part was NO PAIN at all. none. Doing it gradually has it's benefits!

I hope this post makes sense, I"m tired tonight! I hope you had some fun while dd was gone.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 10:02 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I don't think they give the pills to dry you up anymore because taking them has been linked to breast cancer.

My weaning experience will be different from your because I was EPing and pregnant. But here's what I did;

I had to pump just enough to relieve the engorgement. It took several weeks for me to dry up completely. I just cut back more and more each day until I was only pumping every other day, to every 3 day and so on until I could make it without it being painful. I pumped just enough to relieve the pressure and not keep my supply flowing. I took Advil. I put the cabbage leaves in my bra. The only difference I could tell with the leaves is they felt nice and cool. They were soothing more than anything. I'm sure some of the same can be applied with nursing.

A good book to pick up, check out or borrow is,
"The Nursing Mother's Guide To Weaning" by Kahleen Huggins, R.N.,M.S.
And Linda Ziedrich

It has a lot of good info. Good luck!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 10:04 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Typo

Her name is Kathleen. I should have proof-read Click here to enlarge
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Well she is home. I tried to give her some in a cup but she would have none of itClick here to enlarge
She nursed a little and was fine. I think she just missed me. We are going tot ake our time and try to do it right in the next few weeks.
I can't believe how much I missed her.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 06:30 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I think weaning more slowly is a good idea. If the engorgement doesn't let up, though, you can try these natural remedies to decrease supply.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 08:57 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
We are going to cut out a session each day. I will distract her unless she really insists.
Sounds like a good plan. Click here to enlarge
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

We are doing good. I had never heard that about the sage thanks.
She has nursed a lottodya but i think it is just b/c she missed me. I still can't get her to drink it out of the cup. She has had water and juice but wont touch the milk. I don't want it to go to waste. It is just 4 oz but I've never pumped that much Click here to enlargeMaybe it is b/c it is cold. She never would take a pumped bottle much either. she will drink cows milk from a cup. I think a lot is just comfort.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 09:07 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Sounds great. I am glad you decided to listen to your instincts. Weaning is really more of a stage than an event, in my opinion. It takes a while to get the hang of it. I mean really, you have been nursing this child since she was born. It takes a while to learn to relate to each other in a different way.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

I know. I hadn't thought of it that way. Boo boos, tantrums, sleepy, I turn to the boob.
A few months ago I had my cousins baby. She was crying and wouldn't stop. I couldn't comfort her. I tried everything. I didn't know what to do. When she came back my mom said I was a mom I should know what to do. My first instinct was to put er to the breast. I couldn't do that. I was totally lost.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in