Want to feel guilty about your divorce? Or planned divorce? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Main Event...all debate, all the time! WARNING: Anything posted in this forum is fair game for flame! If you are looking for support, take it to the support forums

46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Want to feel guilty about your divorce? Or planned divorce?

Then read this:
https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/kids...330654983.html

Urgh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 09:42 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Click here to enlarge Really??
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 09:43 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

She sounds angry Click here to enlarge
LaughingCow likes this.

And Julie said "Futz", "Futz" said Julie.
"Futz around until my return."
The definition of "futz" was something we had yet to learn,
But we tried to do it anyway, anyway,
'Cause Julie, we'll do anything you say.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

She does sound angry.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 09:56 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Why do I get the feeling that her parents were divorced and she's incredibly bitter?
LaughingCow, Patsit and Azrael like this.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 09:57 AM
Worthless sack of shit
Hard-Core Sybermom

"you have taught them that love is unreliable" Sweet baby jesus someone is bitter
Patsit likes this.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 10:01 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

She does sound angry, but as an adult child of an ugly divorce I can say there's a lot of truth there. Sorry,but it's true.

Number 5 is especially true. My 73 y.o. father (who was a deadbeat alcoholic shithead, so take that for what its worth) calls me every now and then whining about his deep regret.
LaughingCow likes this.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 10:03 AM
Worthless sack of shit
Hard-Core Sybermom

and she couldn't make her relationship work for whatever reason, whether it was her fault, his fault of a combination of both---and instead of owning that, she's placing blame
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 10:19 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I too see seeds of truth there presented in a overly simplistic, unrealistic way.

My dad is at the "almost end of my life, maybe it's time I really thought about my actions" stage. And his expressing his regrets doesn't make it better now, it just compounds the selfishness that his actions always stemmed from. Only now it's because at the end of his life he realizes his actions hurt him. It's not at all about how it affected his family.
LaughingCow likes this.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I do think there's some truth in it, which is why I've worked so hard to make a shitty marriage work. I think in most cases you should definitely do some work on yourself and/or on your marriage before you call it quits. But damn. If you can't make it work, you can't make it work and acting like you've fucked up your kids' lives irreparably isn't helping. I'm certainly not going to look at every divorcee as a shitty, selfish parent.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 10:31 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

She sounds very angry. My parents split when I was 4 and divorced finally when I was 8. I never wanted them back together and I have always asked them both what the hell they were thinking getting together in the first place Click here to enlarge

I will say that dh and I are only together because of our kids. We will be divorced when they are grown but we cannot give them a good life while trying to maintain two households now.
LaughingCow and FTSP like this.

Tapatalk is where the typos are at.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 10:33 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaverballs View Post
Only now it's because at the end of his life he realizes his actions hurt him. It's not at all about how it affected his family.
yep. that's how it is here too.
LaughingCow likes this.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 10:34 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I'd like her to make it fucking work with my ex-asshole and then continue with her shitty judgmental assholishness. Click here to enlarge

I haven't hocked Scentsy in forever.
So I decided it was time to change my signature.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 10:34 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I am a child of a horribly nasty divorce too and am a divorced mother (first marriage) and see the kernels of truth, too but that article places an awfully hard line on things when there are just to many variables.
LaughingCow likes this.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 10:38 AM
Dog loves you!
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCar View Post
She sounds very angry. My parents split when I was 4 and divorced finally when I was 8. I never wanted them back together and I have always asked them both what the hell they were thinking getting together in the first place Click here to enlarge

I will say that dh and I are only together because of our kids. We will be divorced when they are grown but we cannot give them a good life while trying to maintain two households now.
But not every kid thinks this either

My bil divorced his wife and it was a divorce that needed to happen (she was abusive, medically neglected their children and refused to take anti depressants but self medicated her hi polar with a variety drugs and alcohol).

My bil is happily remarried to a very good woman who has been very good to his children from his first marriage. To this day my almost 20 year old nephew still wants his parents back together. His sister has had the blinders removed and she sees her mother for the selfish woman she is but my nephew still has some sadness and resentment over the divorce.

I think it's foolish to think divorce doesn't affect kids but I also think some divorces are needful even if it may affect kids negatively at the time.
LaughingCow likes this.

This is my signature.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 10:42 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

That's what I'm saying. She is saying all kids want their parents back together. I didn't. My dad didn't abuse me, he did abuse my mom but I didn't know until I was older. They were just very different people who only had me in common. Click here to enlarge
LaughingCow likes this.

Tapatalk is where the typos are at.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 10:45 AM
CAM
I tried

When I was young I prayed my parents would divorce instead of stewing and being passive-aggressively venomous to each other.
LaughingCow and Azrael like this.

CAM

There are two Americas - separate, unequal, and no longer even acknowledging each other except on the barest cultural terms. In the one nation, new millionaires are minted every day. In the other, human beings no longer necessary to our economy, to our society, are being devalued and destroyed. -- David Simon

I'm magically delicious!

I dated a Nestene duplicate once. Swappable head. Did keep things fresh. Right then! I have questions. But number one is this: What in the name of sanity have you got on your head?
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 10:54 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I rememver the day middle ds came home and told me "dad isn't drinking anymore, you can move back in together now" telling him no, it was't just his father's drinking, sucked, but other than that, they've adjusted fine. And it was still the best 5-6k I've ever spent.
LaughingCow likes this.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 10:57 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I divorced when DS was 2. He is 8 now and wonders why we aren't together.
Bf divorced when DSS was 4. He is 9 now and still regularly expresses a desire for his parents to get back together.

I definitely see a lot of truth to this. But yeah, it's pretty black and white for an extremely gray issue.
LaughingCow likes this.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 11:16 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via AIM to mrs*skankypants
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Wrecked View Post
I'd like her to make it fucking work with my ex-asshole and then continue with her shitty judgmental assholishness. Click here to enlarge
as the daughter of divorce, i agree with this. if you're between that rock and the hard place, choose the rock, dammit. your kids, yourself, and all that you have built are better off without some sociopathic alcoholic motherfucker ruling your life. though the choices my father made changed my life and influenced it forever, we all made stable, happy marriages, including my mom. it took a helluva lot of work and therapy, but we did it. and you can bet all three of us are really proud of that.

divorce is a holocaust, but it's sometimes really necessary. the best arrangement for that kind of marital incompatibility is both parents staying in the same city with generous visitation and mutual respect.

and even without that ideal scenario, it's still a better alternative than parents who have given up trying to work it through with "humility and determination." the ravages of alcohol and other diseases have nothing to do with "strength of character." what bullshit.
LaughingCow likes this.

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen

"We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them." -John Waters

Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars- Serbian proverb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in