My town is losing it's shit - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Main Event...all debate, all the time! WARNING: Anything posted in this forum is fair game for flame! If you are looking for support, take it to the support forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

My town is losing it's shit

I've seen it on national sites too.

Our mascot was the Redskins until last night. The debate about changing it has gone from a light simmer about a month ago to a full on boil this past week. Then a lacrosse team from a neighboring town pulled out from a game because they have Native American players from a nearby reservation. Two more teams quickly said they were pulling out of games too. Last night the school board had a special meeting and voted to drop the name.

From the minute they start kindergarten, the kids are inundated with the district motto "Once a Redskin, always a Redskin". I refused to buy any spirit wear with the logo or word, always buying things that were more generic. As much as I've explained how it's a slur until I was blue in the face, both my kids are upset about the change. They have extra police at the high and middle school today. Twitter and Instagram were blowing up last night and (obviously) the school and police were following things.

My son is a follower. He's totally whipped up into a frenzy about this. I'm disgusted. My daughter cares less but still isn't happy.

It's a fucking high school mascot. You should see how the adults, former student who are my age, are acting. It's embarrassing. Friends of mine booing the school board because of "tradition". Slavery was a tradition. Women not voting was a tradition. It's okay to change traditions when they're wrong. I cannot wrap my head around these grown-ass people getting all butt hurt about a high school mascot.

I told my kids under NO circumstances were they to talk to the media today. I'm sitting here watching things unfold and I'm shaking my head.
AmyinSC likes this.

Opinions are like orgasms. Mine matters most and I could care less if you have one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 04:52 AM
Sunbeastin
Hard-Core Sybermom

Our middle school were Apaches until they changed to Warriors. Do not remember a commotion. Do they have a new mascot?

poster most fowl

tj=bedazzled scrotum tj=creepy skin tag tj=crotch splotch tj=cyber stockings tj=daisy pincher tj=festering bunion tj=gonad masseuse tj=lard broom tj=lard mallet tj=matted back fat tj=musty mittens tj=nostril polish tj=nut gazer tj=pervert tj=puffed anus tj=sphincter flap tj=squid bollocks tj=syber "mons" tj=taint painter tj=toads nipple tonya tarantula turkey is lead paint tutor hard chairs
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Not yet. This part I really like: They're letting the students have a say. They'll be getting input and presenting a few choices to the kids. Then the kids can vote. I love that they're involving the students and this can be their legacy to the district.

Opinions are like orgasms. Mine matters most and I could care less if you have one.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 05:31 AM
CAM
I tried

Whiteness is a helluva drug.
dubby, Kat, Naomi and 8 others like this.

CAM

There are two Americas - separate, unequal, and no longer even acknowledging each other except on the barest cultural terms. In the one nation, new millionaires are minted every day. In the other, human beings no longer necessary to our economy, to our society, are being devalued and destroyed. -- David Simon

I'm magically delicious!

I dated a Nestene duplicate once. Swappable head. Did keep things fresh. Right then! I have questions. But number one is this: What in the name of sanity have you got on your head?
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I am flabbergasted at how the adults are acting. Someone who I otherwise thought was pretty normal said she cried about this. It's a fucking high school mascot. Cried? Seriously?
dubby, wren and Olive like this.

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 06:03 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

That is madness. And gross. It's one thing for your kids to be caught up and not fully understand, but for grown folks? Gross.

"Hands that help are far better than lips that pray."

--Robert G. Ingersoll (1833-1899)
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 06:21 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Ugg. A neighboring town had to change their mascot. They were pissy and changed it to ours. So we both are the wildcats. They are often called the temper tantrum copy cats.
Quiverful Bitch likes this.

Please consider being an organ donor and informing your family of your wishes.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Funny enough, our neighboring district and rival are the Wildcats.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 01:24 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

im with you, its just a mascot, not that big of a deal. i like that the kids are getting to pick a new one though

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 01:33 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

crying??? over a high school mascot??? as an adultClick here to enlarge
Olive likes this.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 02:03 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyjoe View Post
Our middle school were Apaches until they changed to Warriors. Do not remember a commotion. Do they have a new mascot?
Apaches make me think of the Sugar Hill Gang song. Which makes me think of the Fresh Prince of Bellaire.

A community college a little north of us are the Rebels. Their uniforms have morphed over the past 25+ years from having something Rebel themed prominently featured on the sports uniforms to having the college name featured prominently on everything and the mascot mentioned more in passing. I am trying to think if we have any other racially insensitive mascots nearby.

Lime time.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 02:16 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Noodle
My dad just told me. I think that makes ate district one of the last in ny state.

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 02:19 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Dd's school is the Big Reds. There is always chatter of it changing. It never does.

Tapatalk is where the typos are at.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 02:20 PM
CAM
I tried

I've always said we could solve all the "Redskin" team name problems by just changing the mascot to a potato.
Zea likes this.

CAM

There are two Americas - separate, unequal, and no longer even acknowledging each other except on the barest cultural terms. In the one nation, new millionaires are minted every day. In the other, human beings no longer necessary to our economy, to our society, are being devalued and destroyed. -- David Simon

I'm magically delicious!

I dated a Nestene duplicate once. Swappable head. Did keep things fresh. Right then! I have questions. But number one is this: What in the name of sanity have you got on your head?
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 02:39 PM
Dog loves you!
Hard-Core Sybermom

It's a mascot-students will adjust quick.

I think changing everything to avoid offense can go overboard at times (because just about anything can cause offense now) but a name like Red Skins is pretty much a no brainer-it is essentially a white an created epithet for native Americans.

When my high school changed its mascot in the 1970's from the rebels (as in the confederate army rebels so yeah it needed changing IMO) to the Patriots people protested (I was too young to notice or care but my mom remembered the controversy) everyone pretty much got over it within a year.

I just don't see objecting to the change in this instance-and there are plenty of mascot possibilities that won't offend.

This is my signature.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 03:14 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

it's wicked fucking expensive to change a mascot and.doing it on the fly like this is probably not the best approach. And I.still say the teams that use Indians/braves and use stereotypical chants and gestures are just as bad.

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 06:14 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via MSN to polarchick Send a message via Yahoo to polarchick
Tell your sobbing friend to come up here and tell my sister in law why she thinks that is a good name for a sports team, and then she'll really have something to cry about. Click here to enlarge

As for your kids, have they ever met a native person? Do they know the origin of the word 'redskin'? Do they know about the history of the genocide of the first nations in North America? Ask your son if he would feel proud of a team name that glorified the Holocaust or the atrocities in Rwanda, because this really is the same thing. It's just minimized because it happened here.
Pollyanna, Ypsi and Zea like this.

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 08:14 PM
Dog loves you!
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
it's wicked fucking expensive to change a mascot and.doing it on the fly like this is probably not the best approach. And I.still say the teams that use Indians/braves and use stereotypical chants and gestures are just as bad.
It can be expensive but I bet many communities could raise money from local people and businesses to help with the cost.

I also bet if they just made a decision and said that they would be changing the mascot for the 2015/2016 school year that some of the objections would stop. I think you can make the PR case for planning a change but being unable to do it on the fly but just seems like at this point a school using other cultures as their mascot (especially with a name that is essentially an epithet) is wrong.

This is my signature.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 09:26 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

1. I barely remember what my high school's mascot was. I think it was a lion? But I'm not sure. Crying over a mascot change: NOT NORMAL ADULT BEHAVIOR.

2. Getting super emotionally attached to a team name that's a racial epithet: depressingly normal but not acceptable. Christ.
Zea and Express66 like this.

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; and where there is sadness, joy.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 03:16 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

No business in my community would've contributed bc it was such a polarizing topic. And you are talking about ripping up gym floors, replacing every uniform for modified, jv and varsity. Signage, painting, warm ups, stationary, the list goes on. It was a complete cluster fuck in my town. A lot of schools that changed eid so with grant funding or donations from Native American rights groups. That's what I'm saying about doing it on the fly. Figure out how you are going to pay for it....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in