Spinoff from the child support thread: Millenials - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Main Event...all debate, all the time! WARNING: Anything posted in this forum is fair game for flame! If you are looking for support, take it to the support forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Spinoff from the child support thread: Millenials

Pudin said something on the child support thread that I thought could make a great thread on it's own. This whole differences between generations thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudin View Post
I think the next generation will be worse. They were raised on participation ribbons and feel good about every bad thing you did bullshit. Blame the teacher when your kid acts like an ass, etc.
Millenials take quite a few knocks for this whole "everyone gets a ribbon" and "everyone gets praised" thing. And for "not being able to do anything for themselves" because they are group-oriented. (Not quoting Pudin here - just using general quotes often said about Millenials.) I know I've said it about them myself often enough.

Then somewhere about a year ago I read an article talking about it from a different perspective.

We X'ers were the "me" generation - we were a very independent, do things by ourselves kind of generation. Millenials are the "us" generation - they were raised in an environment that valued teamwork and group participation with the "everybody gets a ribbon" thing. As a result Millenials don't do things by themselves like X'ers, but rather they turn to the peer that has that knowledge/strength/expertise for their assistance.

Basically they work together like a squad in first-person shooter games. Click here to enlarge Each of them has their role and they each play that role because they know the squad works best and can accomplish the most when each role (assault, sniper, support, engineer, etc.) focuses on the designated task in their role instead of trying to do them all.

This made the whole "can't function outside of the group" thing I struggled to accept about Millenials make more sense to me. Yeah, it's very different from how us X'ers are. But we X'ers have our downsides too.

We're not just the "do things by ourselves" generation, another aspect of the "me" generation is the "do things for ourselves" part. The overall mood of the X'ers was a very driven "what's in it for me". Not Millenials - they want to be part of something that has a larger purpose and benefit for society and others (going back to the group mentality), even if it does mean they don't get as much out of it for themselves individually.

Anyway, that's basically just a long-ass way of me saying that what I read made it a bit easier for me to accept the group mentality of Millenials. Click here to enlarge And how after reading it I can see the benefits of a group-oriented generation. (Especially one that immediately follows a "me" generation.)

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 08:48 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Every generation thinks the next generation is the worst ever. Click here to enlarge the millenials will be just fine, just like us gen X-ers are just fine. And for the record, I still have my two participation trophies that I proudly received on everybody gets a trophy day Click here to enlarge
Lorrie likes this.

And Julie said "Futz", "Futz" said Julie.
"Futz around until my return."
The definition of "futz" was something we had yet to learn,
But we tried to do it anyway, anyway,
'Cause Julie, we'll do anything you say.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peent View Post
Every generation thinks the next generation is the worst ever. Click here to enlarge the millenials will be just fine, just like us gen X-ers are just fine. And for the record, I still have my two participation trophies that I proudly received on everybody gets a trophy day Click here to enlarge
Well I agree. Silent generation called the Boomers spoiled and entitled. They called us X'ers self-centered, etc. Click here to enlarge

It was just helpful to me to see the positive in how the Millenials function.

Oh, and on a purely entertaining note. My children's generation (the Y's) has been dubbed the "Boomlets". How cute is that. Click here to enlarge
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 09:00 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Boomlets Click here to enlarge

Pudin is just a grumpy old man Click here to enlarge

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 10:53 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I think a generation would have to go through something akin to the Great Depression or a World War to have the same shared formative experiences that guarantee an actual shared generational characteristic. Participation medals for score-free T-ball doesn't cut it.
AMG, Pollyanna and nancy like this.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 01:03 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Dh has to go to these management training things at work and this lady who runs them said that our generation wanted to do better than our parents. That was our biggest goal. This generation of millennials doesn't care about doing better. They just want to work as little as possible and still get by. They don't care about nice houses, cars etc. Like we do. They are happy just getting by and not being workaholics like their parents.

Tapatalk is where the typos are at.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma_Queen View Post
I think a generation would have to go through something akin to the Great Depression or a World War to have the same shared formative experiences that guarantee an actual shared generational characteristic. Participation medals for score-free T-ball doesn't cut it.
That's used as an example over the overall mood the Millenials were raised in. I'm not necessarily using that specific example as a formative experience.

But growing up at a time that group participation was emphasized more than individual performance? That's certainly every bit the formative experience that my generation had growing up during a time when individual performance was valued more than group participation. Or the Boomers had when they were indulged by their parents and society while they were growing up.

How a generation of kids are treated overall growing up is definitely a formative experience for that generation.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCar View Post
Dh has to go to these management training things at work and this lady who runs them said that our generation wanted to do better than our parents. That was our biggest goal. This generation of millennials doesn't care about doing better. They just want to work as little as possible and still get by. They don't care about nice houses, cars etc. Like we do. They are happy just getting by and not being workaholics like their parents.
I see that. I admire them for it. But I wouldn't be able to do it. Click here to enlarge

I think it could be very good for us to have a generation not so concerned with material things, status, and corporate climbing.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 02:00 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCar View Post
Well, considering what happened in 2008 maybe we should not have been so driven to do better. Maybe instead of looking at millennials like they don't care, maybe doing better than our generation means don't make the same mistakes like acquiring stuff you cannot afford. Click here to enlarge
ThatChic likes this.

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 02:16 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

They don't care, that's the point Click here to enlarge they call into work and blow off commitments because they don't see things as important as we do. THIS IS NOT ALL OF THEM !! THIS HAS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE AS AN EMPLOYER AND A MOON WITH A 22 YEAR OLD... THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS!

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 02:17 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Moon? Click here to enlarge Mom Click here to enlarge

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 02:45 PM
The noblest of savages

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatChic View Post

Basically they work together like a squad in first-person shooter games. Click here to enlarge
Thoughts?
OMG that is so true Click here to enlarge

ďI donít know why we donít create some sort of system where we could train [Syrian refugees] to then go back to their own country and then fight for that country. Doesnít somebody have to stay in the Middle East and make the Middle East a better place to live?Ē

Bill Maher
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 02:47 PM
The noblest of savages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peent View Post

I think the millennial will do better than the boomers. The boomers are the ones that fucked up the entire government system in the USA and caused the cascade of shit we literally have flowing right now. I have hope that they will set things right again as more and more of the boomers drop off and can no longer vote.

ďI donít know why we donít create some sort of system where we could train [Syrian refugees] to then go back to their own country and then fight for that country. Doesnít somebody have to stay in the Middle East and make the Middle East a better place to live?Ē

Bill Maher
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 02:50 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Click here to enlarge
You know, I just realized after giving that generation a huge benefit of the doubt that I am dealing with one of those entitled millennial brats. Click here to enlarge She lied on her resume about having a degree (in arts and humanities of all things) and when called out on it basically said, sorry you took it that way Click here to enlarge. Since I did not have final say on her being hired, she was hired and now I have to deal with her. She brought in color pencils to draw today during her "downtime"

I can't even Click here to enlarge

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 03:34 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudin View Post
I think the millennial will do better than the boomers. The boomers are the ones that fucked up the entire government system in the USA and caused the cascade of shit we literally have flowing right now. I have hope that they will set things right again as more and more of the boomers drop off and can no longer vote.
What point in time are you hoping they set things right to?

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 06:13 PM
Dog loves you!
Hard-Core Sybermom

I am not keen on generalizations towards a generation-way too many exceptions and honestly I think how they function as adults has as much to do with their parents as when they were born.

Hover parents that don't let their kids grow up are a problem.

I do think there is often a good bit of apathy among Millenials-I don't necessarily think its laziness but often a sense of other things being more important. Their priorities are different-but once again I see tons of variation.

This is my signature.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 08:34 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via AIM to mrs*skankypants
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma_Queen View Post
i agree with this, with one stipulation, and that is this...who is to say what is formative? was reagan formative? clinton? or the falklands war? dunno. i definitely felt a shift in the 80's toward the money grubbing mememe milieu in my twenties. i always thought the hippies died when reagan got into office. prosperity wasn't pretty. and this generation, my generation, of politicians in their fifties and mid sixties reflect that attitude. selfish and unwilling to abide by principles. it's ugly, man.

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." ó Isak Dinesen

"We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them." -John Waters

Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars- Serbian proverb
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 07:46 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I'm an Xer and I think people of my generation are just as different from each other as they are from previous generations. The original "me" generation was supposed to be the boomers anyway. It's mostly crap IMO Click here to enlarge
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 07:49 AM
CAM
I tried

What is the cutoff for millennials anyway? If we're talking kids born in the 90s then yes I do sense that they are a little spoiled and maybe take longer to launch, but at the same time they were getting out of college just as the economy tanked. Mostly I think every generation just likes beating up on the next one. Click here to enlarge
Grandma_Queen and Peent like this.

CAM

There are two Americas - separate, unequal, and no longer even acknowledging each other except on the barest cultural terms. In the one nation, new millionaires are minted every day. In the other, human beings no longer necessary to our economy, to our society, are being devalued and destroyed. -- David Simon

I'm magically delicious!

I dated a Nestene duplicate once. Swappable head. Did keep things fresh. Right then! I have questions. But number one is this: What in the name of sanity have you got on your head?
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 07:55 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Gen Xers are 65-82. Millenials or Gen Y is 82-00 (some say to 02) and Gen Z is anything after.

My mom and my oldest sister are both technically boomers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in