What are you reading? - Page 3 - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Main Event...all debate, all the time! WARNING: Anything posted in this forum is fair game for flame! If you are looking for support, take it to the support forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 11:45 AM
Punk Kids - 12 Years Old & 7 Years Old

Send a message via Yahoo to PunkassPie
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinsmom View Post
And ...?
It's kind of the second book of Mercedes Man except really only one of the main characters is from that book, you wouldn't have to read one to read this one. So far typical newer Stephen King, I'm not creeped or anything.

It's not a feeling, it's a knowing.

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
I'll buck the trend, I don't think her kids are all that in the cute department. not all kids are cute. they have other attributes that make up for that, but look at tweedle's aiden, that is a cute kid. and your kids mel, those are adorable kids. Her's are average. I wouldn't take a second look passing her on the street.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Zea
Just plain fun, lots of it tongue planted firmly in cheek. Recommended for Harry Potter fans especially. :love
Hard-Core Sybermom

I consumed a new novella by Lois McMaster Bujold (Penric's Demon) on my kindle before I even had a chance to see the receipt in my e-mail. Click here to enlarge

It just made me want something more substantial from her. She needs a clone, which is a funny statement to make if you've read the Vorkosigan series.

I read a fun teen graphic novel - Nimona, full of anti-heroes and sly statements about comics and movies - and I have a ton of books in the house (very possibly literally), but nothing is really catching my eye or piquing my interest right now. I'm cranky, too. Click here to enlarge
post #43 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 12:13 PM
Sunbeastin
Hard-Core Sybermom

Father and brother recommended The Martian, just started it. Read Blackout, which was on Entertainment Weekly's Top List, it was just OK.

poster most fowl

tj=bedazzled scrotum tj=creepy skin tag tj=crotch splotch tj=cyber stockings tj=daisy pincher tj=festering bunion tj=gonad masseuse tj=lard broom tj=lard mallet tj=matted back fat tj=musty mittens tj=nostril polish tj=nut gazer tj=pervert tj=puffed anus tj=sphincter flap tj=squid bollocks tj=syber "mons" tj=taint painter tj=toads nipple tonya tarantula turkey is lead paint tutor hard chairs
post #44 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 04:33 PM

I totes want to read The Martian. I heard from people who have read it that they are nervous about the movie because they liked the book so much and don't want the movie to ruin the book.

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
I'll buck the trend, I don't think her kids are all that in the cute department. not all kids are cute. they have other attributes that make up for that, but look at tweedle's aiden, that is a cute kid. and your kids mel, those are adorable kids. Her's are average. I wouldn't take a second look passing her on the street.
post #45 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 05:06 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Anybody read the new Harper Lee yet? I am about to order it, since Costco has not had it yet, and I can not wait.
post #46 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 06:10 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

read girl on a train, loved
now reading the light between oceans. so far, i love the writing.
post #47 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Zea
Just plain fun, lots of it tongue planted firmly in cheek. Recommended for Harry Potter fans especially. :love
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulapunk View Post
Anybody read the new Harper Lee yet? I am about to order it, since Costco has not had it yet, and I can not wait.
I saw it at our Costco last week!

Not sure whether I want to read it. Click here to enlarge
post #48 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 05:02 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I have a whole stack of books ready to read next week when I get a month off from school. First I need to read the latest outlander, still haven't done that(I've had it on my nook for ages) and then I bought the first book in the Marla Mason series on the recommendation of some posters on /r/dresdenfiles over at reddit.
post #49 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Zea
Hard-Core Sybermom

I finished an interesting bit of lit fiction called Burning Down George Orwell's House last night.

Maybe it's dick lit. Without much romance or sex or love, though. Fratire? It's not misogynistic, though.
post #50 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Zea
Hard-Core Sybermom

I did learn a bit about single malt whiskey, advertising, and George Orwell.
post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Zea
Hard-Core Sybermom

post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 09:14 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkassPie View Post
I totes want to read The Martian. I heard from people who have read it that they are nervous about the movie because they liked the book so much and don't want the movie to ruin the book.
I heard from people who loved the book. I started it and couldn't finish. I thought it was so tediously boring that there was no way I was going to plow through to try to finish it. I hope they jazz it up for the movie, because I can't imagine how they can make that interesting for 2 hours.
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 10:08 AM
The noblest of savages

Quote:
It's kind of the second book of Mercedes Man except really only one of the main characters is from that book, you wouldn't have to read one to read this one. So far typical newer Stephen King, I'm not creeped or anything.
I just finished Revival and I wasn't creeped out either. I don't know if shows like Dexter ruined King for me but it is still good reading, but no night lights required.
PunkassPie likes this.

“I don’t know why we don’t create some sort of system where we could train [Syrian refugees] to then go back to their own country and then fight for that country. Doesn’t somebody have to stay in the Middle East and make the Middle East a better place to live?”

Bill Maher
post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenF View Post
I heard from people who loved the book. I started it and couldn't finish. I thought it was so tediously boring that there was no way I was going to plow through to try to finish it. I hope they jazz it up for the movie, because I can't imagine how they can make that interesting for 2 hours.
Someone I spoke with said it's really technical so I think I'll just listen to the audiobook instead Click here to enlarge

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 06:25 AM
Sunbeastin
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Someone I spoke with said it's really technical so I think I'll just listen to the audiobook instead Click here to enlarge
Click here to enlarge It's a quick read and a good book for men who don't read much. It jumps right into the story and then the main character and NASA problem solve and improvise their way along.

poster most fowl

tj=bedazzled scrotum tj=creepy skin tag tj=crotch splotch tj=cyber stockings tj=daisy pincher tj=festering bunion tj=gonad masseuse tj=lard broom tj=lard mallet tj=matted back fat tj=musty mittens tj=nostril polish tj=nut gazer tj=pervert tj=puffed anus tj=sphincter flap tj=squid bollocks tj=syber "mons" tj=taint painter tj=toads nipple tonya tarantula turkey is lead paint tutor hard chairs
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 07:56 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Zea, you should read it. It felt like going back to Maycomb, twenty years later. Loved it and was sad when it ended.
Girl on a Train, really well done. I couldn't put it down and read it in an afternoon.
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Zea
Hard-Core Sybermom

Well, that does push me more towards reading it, actually. After the hoopla is over and there are a thousand used or library copies around I'll check it out.

I haven't read anything super great for a bit now. I just started Finding Audrey, which is Sophie Kinsella's new YA novel, so that's fun but not really compelling to me.

If you like reading about Japanese food and graphic novels, you all should check out What Did You Eat Yesterday? It's got insanely detailed drawings of cooking all kinds of Japanese food (did not know burdock root was such a big deal there!), and a story arc about a 30-something gay couple. One guy is a closeted lawyer, the other is a hairdresser. It also got some interesting insights into Japanese culture & family, and there are at least eight volumes. Click here to enlarge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in