Chemotherapy question - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Main Event...all debate, all the time! WARNING: Anything posted in this forum is fair game for flame! If you are looking for support, take it to the support forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Chemotherapy question

My dad is getting chemo and radiation. Today is the start of his 5th week of treatments. He gets radiation M-F every week, and the plan was to get chemo every Monday. He received his 2 chemo treatments, but has been on hold now due to his white blood cell (WBC) count.

I am looking for advice on whether or not he should even have any more chemo. Before my dad started his WBC was 6. After the first treatment it was 4. After the second treatment it was 0.7. Last Monday his WBC was 2 and his ANC was 1.5. The doctor was going to give him chemo but reduce the dose by 25% (which I didn't think was much).

I called the doctor and expressed my concern that based on how quickly his WBC counts dropped, that I was worried they would drop too much again (especially since the 1.5 ANC is right at the cutoff point and the 2.0 WBC is also close to borderline). And, of course, my dad is eating less than half of what he normally does and is not getting as many nutrients/vitamins to help build his blood counts, etc. back up quickly.

The doctor said he was comfortable with holding chemo for another week and then testing his blood again today. I'm wondering what blood numbers are actually safe for him to get another dose, and also, how much that dose should be reduced by. Let's say by some miracle his WBC count is back up to 4, would it make sense to only give him a 50% dose of chemo seeing that in one week it had dropped 3.3? I'm no doctor, but I also don't trust doctors. Especially the ones here.

goobie grab her yuni eeek!

To err is human, so... uh... - Gary King
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I also forgot to mention that my dad is 79, has diabetes, kidney issues and other general old age health stuff.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 08:12 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I don't have any chemo advice. I just wanted to say I am sorry your dad is sick. Wishing you all peace. 💗

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSOXMAMA View Post
I don't have any chemo advice. I just wanted to say I am sorry your dad is sick. Wishing you all peace. ��

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. Click here to enlarge

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 09:45 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to pumpkinsmom
http://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/si...od-counts.aspx

When FIL was getting chemo they gave him a couple of blood transfusions. The doctor also perscribed injections of Epotrex to alleviate the low blood levels.

I hope your Dad makes a full recovery.

Cancer is a word not a sentence.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 10:44 AM
Punk Kids - 12 Years Old & 7 Years Old

Send a message via Yahoo to PunkassPie
I can't offer advice either but I was wondering how he (and you!) was doing. I hope he makes a complete recovery Click here to enlarge

It's not a feeling, it's a knowing.

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
I'll buck the trend, I don't think her kids are all that in the cute department. not all kids are cute. they have other attributes that make up for that, but look at tweedle's aiden, that is a cute kid. and your kids mel, those are adorable kids. Her's are average. I wouldn't take a second look passing her on the street.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 11:08 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Olive
another with no advice, but i wanted to offer Click here to enlarge and good thoughts.

Petition the White House to Adopt the Chartreuse Awareness Ribbon for the Prevention of Child Sexual Abuse.

"While there are many colors for various causes, (for example, Child Abuse and Autism both share the same color ribbon) there is no nationally recognized ribbon in chartreuse. Child sexual abuse affects so many children and yet prevention organizations struggle to receive the funding they need to raise awareness and educate people on all the simple ways we can empower our children, families, and communities against abuse."
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Well, his white blood cell count actually went down a little, so he is completely done with chemo. I'm glad. Hopefully his counts start making there way back up.

Punk, we're both doing good. The end is in sight now. He only has 7 more radiation treatments and he's done. I'm trying to be realistic about the fact that these treatments may not cure it, just prolong things, but our main goal was to shrink the tumor so he didn't have anymore internal bleeding. Hopefully that's the case.
PunkassPie, Olive and Liorien like this.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 05:26 PM
Blue Tongue Lizard
Hard-Core Sybermom

I have no advice, but I remember helping my Dad through his chemo and radiation. I wanted to send some strength, peace and Click here to enlarge for you, I hope your Dad makes a fast recovery.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 06:38 PM
Sunbeastin
Hard-Core Sybermom

Good thoughts, no advice.

poster most fowl

tj=bedazzled scrotum tj=creepy skin tag tj=crotch splotch tj=cyber stockings tj=daisy pincher tj=festering bunion tj=gonad masseuse tj=lard broom tj=lard mallet tj=matted back fat tj=musty mittens tj=nostril polish tj=nut gazer tj=pervert tj=puffed anus tj=sphincter flap tj=squid bollocks tj=syber "mons" tj=taint painter tj=toads nipple tonya tarantula turkey is lead paint tutor hard chairs
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 08:51 AM
DD with Ramin Karimloo after Les Miz
Hard-Core Sybermom

Click here to enlarge

What kind of cancer does he have? Can the radiation help hold it at bay?

My dad is 78 was just dx with early stage lung cancer and they are planning to do surgery and radiation but not chemo. I worry that the radiation alone will wipe him out
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 09:19 AM
Punk Kids - 12 Years Old & 7 Years Old

Send a message via Yahoo to PunkassPie
I'm sorry to hear that scuba Click here to enlarge, I hope he does well radiation.
ScubaDiva likes this.

It's not a feeling, it's a knowing.

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
I'll buck the trend, I don't think her kids are all that in the cute department. not all kids are cute. they have other attributes that make up for that, but look at tweedle's aiden, that is a cute kid. and your kids mel, those are adorable kids. Her's are average. I wouldn't take a second look passing her on the street.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaDiva View Post
Click here to enlarge

What kind of cancer does he have? Can the radiation help hold it at bay?

My dad is 78 was just dx with early stage lung cancer and they are planning to do surgery and radiation but not chemo. I worry that the radiation alone will wipe him out
I mentioned somewhere that we don't have a definitive diagnosis of cancer because all the biopsies only showed pre-cancer, but the PET scan showed cancer, so it's "probably" cancer. He has a tumor at the junction of his esophagus and stomach.

At 79, he has handled the chemo and radiation fairly well, although he only had 2 chemo treatments. He has lost 20 pounds so far due to no appetite, but he was overweight so the weightloss isn't a bad thing at this point.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 07:40 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Aww, sending positive thoughts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in