So my daughter Emily is changing her major - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Main Event...all debate, all the time! WARNING: Anything posted in this forum is fair game for flame! If you are looking for support, take it to the support forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Dog loves you!
Hard-Core Sybermom

So my daughter Emily is changing her major

I'm not super shocked (she has general areas she was interested in but not necessarily passionate). But what's funny is she is changing her major to the one major she insisted she had no desire to major in EVER! She was certain she wanted nothing to do with computer or electrical engineering.

She is currently a mechanical and now she wants to change over to computer engineering with a computer science minor or combination (which depends mostly on the ability to pay for additional semesters-basically getting her scholarship extended either an extra 1/2 semester or whole semester). She has discovered a love for coding and likes all that computer stuff.

So her current co-op won't be useful as far as future jobs are concerned outside of work experience but she seems pretty confident it is what she wants to do.

This is my signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 02:30 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to pumpkinsmom
Good for her. My 18 yr old Ds has changed his mind several times about what he wants to do and I have no problem with that. We have some simple guidelines. You must be employed or in school to live here. If employed, you pay room and board, if in school, your housing is free. Mattress testing is not an option. He is currently employed and heading back to school in the fall. Apparently work as a car jockey at a dealership is "mind numbingly" boring. Click here to enlarge

Cancer is a word not a sentence.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Dog loves you!
Hard-Core Sybermom

I would find that boring too. Does he know what he wants to do?

My daughter pretty much decided to switch for sure when she started reading lecture notes from the next coding class in order to teach herself Java in her spare time.

I always kind of figured she would change majors (she started off intending to major in chemical engineering, then switched to mechanical but I think this will probably be the last one). I think she will probably be able to get her scholarship extended given our income and the fact that she's going from a field with few women in it to a field with even fewer women. We will see how it goes.

This is my signature.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 08:42 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Is this the daughter at UNH? DH graduated from there with a computer science degree and has done very well in his career. He landed his first job after co-oping while earning his degree and actually is currently working for a branch of that company 20 ish years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Dog loves you!
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSOXMAMA View Post
Is this the daughter at UNH? DH graduated from there with a computer science degree and has done very well in his career. He landed his first job after co-oping while earning his degree and actually is currently working for a branch of that company 20 ish years later.

Nope that daughter graduated.

This one is at Northeastern (in Boston but you probably know that). Her current co-op is a mechanical engineering so it won't be super useful as far as job connections are concerned but she will still have another co-op before she graduates.

This is my signature.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 07:37 PM
Samantha Louise, 12 years old on 1/14/16
Hard-Core Sybermom

That's cool that she decided she likes coding.

--cited as one of sybermoms' most normal members.

http://365project.org/iowafalduto/365
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 12:15 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Ah, it's hard enough to remember what grade my kids are in. Click here to enlarge I told DH about your post and he said that is what made him change from the electronic engineering he was working on. He took an intro to coding class and it seemed fun and not like work at all.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 12:18 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Also every mid-sized company, school, hospital restaurant chain etc. has an IT department now so she can find something that works for her. Also being a woman in the IT field especially in the metro Boston area is a huge asset. She will be able to pick where she wants to work as long as she is competent (which I am sure she is and more).

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 10:35 AM
The noblest of savages

That is pretty cool though. Click here to enlarge

ďI donít know why we donít create some sort of system where we could train [Syrian refugees] to then go back to their own country and then fight for that country. Doesnít somebody have to stay in the Middle East and make the Middle East a better place to live?Ē

Bill Maher
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Dog loves you!
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSOXMAMA View Post
Also every mid-sized company, school, hospital restaurant chain etc. has an IT department now so she can find something that works for her. Also being a woman in the IT field especially in the metro Boston area is a huge asset. She will be able to pick where she wants to work as long as she is competent (which I am sure she is and more).

I think she will stay in the Boston area. She loves city living and hates coming home (she likes us but finds rural nh BORING).

Her university has a good relationship with a lot of companies so she just knows she likes and wants to code. She is very different from mecoding sounds boring.

This is my signature.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in