so anyone with flat footed kids who play soccer/sports - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Main Event...all debate, all the time! WARNING: Anything posted in this forum is fair game for flame! If you are looking for support, take it to the support forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Dog loves you!
Hard-Core Sybermom

so anyone with flat footed kids who play soccer/sports

DS has flat feet and is experiencing pain. He sees a podiatrist next week nut I was wondering what kind of cleats to get him. The ones we got aren't working at all and finding cleats that wide flat feet fit in has been a struggle.

I do not comprehend why every cleat us so darn narrow with no options for a wide fit.

This is my signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 01:32 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Ds has flat feet but they are narrow. We didn't have too much trouble with cleats because of the narrowness. Hockey skates, on the other hand, are not fun.

Tapatalk is where the typos are at.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 04:12 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to pumpkinsmom
Ds has had orthotics for years. they made him some special "sport" orthotics for his skates and running shoes that were supposed to offer extra protection.

Cancer is a word not a sentence.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 07:53 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I'd ask the podiatrist about an insert. If that doesn't work, remind me again and I'll ask the parents from dd's teams.

Opinions are like orgasms. Mine matters most and I could care less if you have one.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Dog loves you!
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
I'd ask the podiatrist about an insert. If that doesn't work, remind me again and I'll ask the parents from dd's teams.
I don't think an insert alone will help-I need to find a cleat with a wider fit. I did find some online options but the problem is he can't try them on. I did learn I need to get leather cleats vs synthetic because leather will stretch some. I took a risk and ordered a cleat so we will see (his first game is on Friday).

This is my signature.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 03:05 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I was going to suggest holding off on buying shoes until you get the orthotic insert the kid is undoubtedly going to need.

My ds has flat feet and wears an OTC insert in his shoes. He's young (7) so they weren't too spendy ($35 for a set). I made sure to take him to a chiropodist to get it fitted properly but I won't order custom ones until he stops growing like a maniac.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Dog loves you!
Hard-Core Sybermom

He saw the podiatrist yesterday.

His growth plates aren't fully closed so the really expensive custom made aren't an option (our insurance may cover in certain circumstances but not until growth has stopped). The podiatrist said ideally he would put him in a custom made with ankle braces but right now it isn't an option. Once growth has stopped it can be revisited.

So he has a really expensive orthotic insert (Dr said it should last about 2 years).

I had already ordered cleats. They arrived yesterday too.

He wore the new cleats and inserts yesterday and said his feet felt tons better. We will see how things go-especially once he's wearing the orthotic constantly fir a few weeks.

This is my signature.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Dog loves you!
Hard-Core Sybermom

Oh and somebody else told me that football cleats are wider than soccer cleats but you have to remove the toe cleat (sawing it off apparently allows the cleat yo pass for soccer).

The ones I ordered seem to be good though so I'm playing it by ear.

This is my signature.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in