Tattoo virgin - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Main Event...all debate, all the time! WARNING: Anything posted in this forum is fair game for flame! If you are looking for support, take it to the support forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Tattoo virgin

I haven't said anything here and just a little bit on FB so a few of you may already know that my only sibling, my brother Dan, died suddenly overnight at age 46 on the 4th of July. His cause of death is pending which means we still don't know exactly what happened but anyway, what I wanted to talk about is tattoos. Just felt like a little back story might help. Click here to enlarge

So, I want to get a memorial tattoo. He was not into tattoos and no one in my immediate family has any. So it's a little random. His birthday was 8/18 so I was thinking of a butterfly made out of 818 and I was thinking on my shoulder, probably in color, and fairly small.

Here are my questions. How long should I wait? I'm obviously in grief and shock and depressed at the moment. I do,

I am however pretty certain I want to do it and I've actually wanted a tattoo (a flower vine around my toes) since I was a teenager so it's not completely out of left field. Am I at risk for hasty tattoo regret though? I was actually thinking it would be cool to get it on 8/18 which means I have a few more weeks. My cousin has a good place to take me to so I got that covered. But is it dumb for a sad 44 year old suburbanite sahm who just lost her only brother (and we were real close) to run out and get a tattoo? Is there a mourning/waiting period that I'm unaware of? Click here to enlarge

Any other thoughts/advice about memorial or first tattoos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 04:11 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

When my half sisters half sister from the other side died a few years back, my sister came back from the funeral in Florida and there was a white Daisy growing in her yard. It had never grown there before and it was her sister that passed favorite flower. She went out the next weekend and got a tat of one. She has never regretted it at all. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Tapatalk is where the typos are at.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 04:14 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Oh, and my sister was 47 when she got it.

On the memorial theme, the same sister was in a bad accident in January of 2014 where everyone should have died and miraculously no one did. Her BFF was driving the car she was in and they have been recovering together all this time. They got matching tats symbolizing their struggle. She is 51 years old.

Tapatalk is where the typos are at.
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 08:04 PM
LIKE A BOSS
Hard-Core Sybermom

I am so sorry for your loss. The only advice I have is to research. Make sure you go to a good artist and pick something that you are comfortable having for the rest of your life.
Twinklestars likes this.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 08:13 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I waited till the anniversary of my sister's death to get my small dragon fly on my ankle. No regrets.

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 10:38 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I would do some more research on the artist. Also, make sure that the design is something you like. Will you say that it is something you like if you are a little meh about it because you are polite? Will the artist let you bring a design you have drawn up ahead of time?
I am so sorry for your loss. I think a tattoo is a nice way to remember your brother and your idea is a great way to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 04:34 AM
Samantha Louise, 12 years old on 1/14/16
Hard-Core Sybermom

I am sorry you lost your brother. I don't think you will regret getting a tattoo in remembrance of him; it's not like you just turned 18 and got Winnie the Pooh on your butt because you could. Like others said, make sure you're really happy with the artwork.

And of course be prepared for people to say "Oh I love your tattoo, what's it about?" which will be a wonderful way for you to reminisce about your brother, but sometimes you might be caught a little off guard.
BabyKisses, AMG, Olive and 1 others like this.

--cited as one of sybermoms' most normal members.

http://365project.org/iowafalduto/365
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 10:37 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to pumpkinsmom
I know nothing about tattoos so can offer no advice.
I can offer you my condolences on the loss of your brother. I also lost my only brother some years ago. It was a difficult time. Take care of yourself.
MelodyMaker likes this.

Cancer is a word not a sentence.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Punk Kids - 12 Years Old & 7 Years Old

Send a message via Yahoo to PunkassPie
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSOXMAMA View Post
I would do some more research on the artist. Also, make sure that the design is something you like. Will you say that it is something you like if you are a little meh about it because you are polite? Will the artist let you bring a design you have drawn up ahead of time?
I am so sorry for your loss. I think a tattoo is a nice way to remember your brother and your idea is a great way to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with all of this. M's birthday is on 818 and I never thought about it being a butterfly but I love it. I think you should do it if it feels right to you. Click here to enlarge
BabyKisses likes this.

It's not a feeling, it's a knowing.

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
I'll buck the trend, I don't think her kids are all that in the cute department. not all kids are cute. they have other attributes that make up for that, but look at tweedle's aiden, that is a cute kid. and your kids mel, those are adorable kids. Her's are average. I wouldn't take a second look passing her on the street.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 05:11 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I actually got my first tattoo as memory of my only brother who died. I got it on the one year anniversary of his death. I had also wanted a tattoo for awhile and this finally was something I wanted on my body for the rest of my life. Mine is on the inside of my wrist.

And Im very sorry about your brother!!
MelodyMaker and Tattoo like this.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 08:12 PM
Is it bedtime yet?
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to graceiha
I have no advice on the tattoo, but I am so sorry for your lOSS Click here to enlarge
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I did it you guys. And I love it. I'll post pics when I can, the only pic I have so far is kinda bloody. : lol
MelodyMaker and Tattoo like this.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 09:00 AM
LIKE A BOSS
Hard-Core Sybermom

Click here to enlarge

Do you love it?

Can't wait to see the pic!
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 04:06 PM

Click here to enlarge

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
I'll buck the trend, I don't think her kids are all that in the cute department. not all kids are cute. they have other attributes that make up for that, but look at tweedle's aiden, that is a cute kid. and your kids mel, those are adorable kids. Her's are average. I wouldn't take a second look passing her on the street.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 06:00 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via AIM to Tattoo Send a message via Yahoo to Tattoo
You won't regret it. ❤️.

I had never had a tattoo and never planned on getting one until my son died in September 2014. By January I had a tattoo of a camo butterfly with his actual signature on my forearm. I wanted it to be somewhere where I could see it when I wanted to and others could see it too. I thought I was prepared for the questions and remarks by strangers, but sometimes they ask too much, like how he died. That question I feel is personal so I usually just say I can't talk about it right now.

I have no regrets at all, I love the constant reminder (not that I need one.) Nick had quite a few tattoos and I know he would have gotten a huge kick out of me getting one! His first one was a huge rose on his side that said "Mom".ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439600397.901998.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1439600428.325996.jpg
PunkassPie, AMG, Peent and 3 others like this.

It's a boy! Anthony Michael, born at 1:24 pm on March 7, 2012! 7lb 14 oz, 20" long

Nope, not getting rid of the ticker. Have you clicked me lately!

Not getting rid of this ticker either.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 06:55 PM

Tattoo I love your tattoo Click here to enlarge

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 07:24 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Thanks! Sometimes I'm still shocked about it. Like after wearing long sleeves on a winter day and taking off my shirt to get changed, I look down and do a double take when I see it.
BabyKisses likes this.

It's a boy! Anthony Michael, born at 1:24 pm on March 7, 2012! 7lb 14 oz, 20" long

post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Thanks for sharing your story, Tattoo. I love it.

Here's mine. And me getting it. I dug the kinky looking chair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150815_083602-1_resized.jpg (121.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20150809_191102_resized.jpg (120.7 KB, 16 views)
BabyKisses, AMG, Peent and 3 others like this.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 10:31 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

That's beautiful!

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Thanks you. Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

We got the autopsy results yesterday. Evidently he had diabetes and died from diabetic ketoacidosis. He hadn't been to a doctor for years so we didn't know. Click here to enlarge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in