Reading anything good? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Main Event...all debate, all the time! WARNING: Anything posted in this forum is fair game for flame! If you are looking for support, take it to the support forums

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Zea
Just plain fun, lots of it tongue planted firmly in cheek. Recommended for Harry Potter fans especially. :love
Hard-Core Sybermom

Reading anything good?

New stuff or old stuff?

The book in my av is my most recent favorite.

That and Brick Lane, by Monica Ali, which has been out for years and years - and on my shelf, unread, for at least 10 years. I finally read it and then kicked myself for not reading it years ago, it was that good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 02:49 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

i am reading Furiously Happy the second book by Jenny Lawson aka the blogess its pretty good
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 07:13 PM
Punk Kids - 12 Years Old & 7 Years Old

Send a message via Yahoo to PunkassPie
I just finished And The Mountains Echoed. Oh man is that a good book.

Just last night I finished The Giver. I bought it for H for his birthday a few months ago and he didn't want to read it because he heard the movie sucked. Finally he gave it a try and liked it so I decided to read it as well and loved it and today I started the 2nd book.
LucyLooLoo likes this.

It's not a feeling, it's a knowing.

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
I'll buck the trend, I don't think her kids are all that in the cute department. not all kids are cute. they have other attributes that make up for that, but look at tweedle's aiden, that is a cute kid. and your kids mel, those are adorable kids. Her's are average. I wouldn't take a second look passing her on the street.
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 12:48 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Just finished The Kind Worth Killin, by Peter Swanson. So good.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 03:56 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom
ME Addict

Punkass, you need to read the rest of his stuff too. Click here to enlarge I love this guy and want more!

i'm reading respiratory therapy textbooks. Sigh.
PunkassPie likes this.

My Patronus is on strike.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 04:47 PM
Punk Kids - 12 Years Old & 7 Years Old

Send a message via Yahoo to PunkassPie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchid View Post
Punkass, you need to read the rest of his stuff too. Click here to enlarge I love this guy and want more!

i'm reading respiratory therapy textbooks. Sigh.
I never read any of his books but read this one for my book club and I thought it would be a boring hard read but it wasn't at all. I was like, tearing up at the end, the feathers Click here to enlarge

I just finished the 2nd book in the Giver series today. BAM!

It's not a feeling, it's a knowing.

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
I'll buck the trend, I don't think her kids are all that in the cute department. not all kids are cute. they have other attributes that make up for that, but look at tweedle's aiden, that is a cute kid. and your kids mel, those are adorable kids. Her's are average. I wouldn't take a second look passing her on the street.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 10:50 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I just read The Girl On The Train and am now reading the first Game Of Thrones books for the fourth time. Basically, I'm no help at all on this thread and I shouldn't have bothered responding. Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 06:18 AM
Samantha Louise, 12 years old on 1/14/16
Hard-Core Sybermom

I've been really enjoying Peculiar Crimes Unit mysteries. They've got mystery (that you can really never figure out, or at least I can't), history, and that dry British humor. Which I felt like spelling "humour" just now. Christopher Fowler is the author.

--cited as one of sybermoms' most normal members.

http://365project.org/iowafalduto/365
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 06:41 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom
ME Addict

Seriously Punk. The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. Read them! Click here to enlarge

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Zea
Just plain fun, lots of it tongue planted firmly in cheek. Recommended for Harry Potter fans especially. :love
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchid View Post
Seriously Punk. The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. Read them! Click here to enlarge
Click here to enlarge

I'm in a slump now. Keep starting books and not liking them at all. Click here to enlarge

At least most of them are library books and haven't cost me anything.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Zea
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parapraxis View Post
I just read The Girl On The Train and am now reading the first Game Of Thrones books for the fourth time. Basically, I'm no help at all on this thread and I shouldn't have bothered responding. Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
No, I'm interested. I do the re-read thing for certain books, too. Sometimes because I loved it so much, sometimes because I can't remember it well enough and/or I want to see if I really loved it that much. Click here to enlarge
Parapraxis likes this.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 11:04 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom
ME Addict

I reread a lot. And with something like GoT, Harry Potter, or LOTR, you pick up on stuff each time you read it that you didn't notice before. Click here to enlarge
Zea and Parapraxis like this.

post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 11:35 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

<3 you guys. I'm a superfan of the entire ASOIAF series and each time I read it I learn things and pick more stuff up. GRRM does not spoon feed his hints and foreshadowing, and I'm more sucked in this time than I was the first time through.

I just came off a light "can relax and don't need to think too much" binge. I picked up the third NYPD Red book and The Girl On The Train book from the NY Times best sellers list. I was never a James Patterson fan, but I went back and read the first two in the Red series to catch up and enjoyed it enough that I bought the entire Alex Cross series and am about 8 books into it. Better late than never. Click here to enlarge Will have to watch the movies that came out of that series as well.

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 11:42 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I'm reading a bunch of free Kindle "chick lit" mysteries. Some are novellas, some are full-length. They are the Cozy series with subtitles such as "High Heels Mystery" or "Food Truck Mystery".

I liked the Food Truck Mysteries, which involve a 25-year-old woman who has inherited her dead aunt's food truck (and a scrumptious cook to go along with it). The titles are "Murder to Go", "Murder in the Spotlight" and "Leftovers", etc. When you get to the end there's a link to the next book in the series, which you an buy on Amazon or if you are a Prime member, borrow it from the lending library for free.

Since I'm still out on disability and having a hard time getting my low blood pressure/dizziness resolved, these are perfect light reading for me right now.

It is easier to build strong children than to repair b.roken men.
-Frederick Douglass

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." -- Benjamin Franklin
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 12:58 PM
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parapraxis View Post
I am too. As friend bought me the most recent book (a year ago- that's how behind I am). It had been so long since I read the last book that I had to start over to figure out what was going in before I could read the newest one.

I'm never going to catch up on that series.

I was the kid next door's imaginary friend.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 04:18 PM
Sunbeastin
Hard-Core Sybermom

I had a half day to kill and was driving some awesome Utah roads in a dog of a rental car and caught this NPR segment. I was glued to it. Book should be worth reading.

Quote:
In September, 1955 Emma Gatewood became the first woman to hike the entire Appalachian Trail alone, as well as the first person, man or woman, to walk it twice, and three times. Grandma Gatewood, as reporters called her, started her first hike along the trail after telling her family she was going out for a walk. The next anybody heard from her she had hiked the first 800 miles of the 2,050-mile trail.
http://wvxu.org/post/grandma-gatewoo...trail#stream/0
AMG likes this.

poster most fowl

tj=bedazzled scrotum tj=creepy skin tag tj=crotch splotch tj=cyber stockings tj=daisy pincher tj=festering bunion tj=gonad masseuse tj=lard broom tj=lard mallet tj=matted back fat tj=musty mittens tj=nostril polish tj=nut gazer tj=pervert tj=puffed anus tj=sphincter flap tj=squid bollocks tj=syber "mons" tj=taint painter tj=toads nipple tonya tarantula turkey is lead paint tutor hard chairs
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 08:25 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I am reading the new Louise Penny book The Nature of the Beast. I love her writing. It is not a big thinker - but I so enjoy her Inspector Gamache series. Also Random Riggs newest book in the Miss Peregrine series just came out. I have that one on deck. One of my library ladies just emailed me in the middle of the night when she finished The Rent Collector saying I MUST read it, so I guess that's in the hole. If you email me a 2:00am I have to respect that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AMG and Yes, Again like this.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 12:05 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to LucyLooLoo
I am in an awful rut. The best book I have read recently is all The Light We a Cannot See. Read it. Seriously.

Girl on the Train? Meh.

You want a piece of me, present roll?

What about you, Asshole?

wishing you eternal tomfoolery, goob
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 06:56 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I liked The Girl on the Train. I just think that comparing it to Gone Girl ruined some of it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 02:38 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I recently read Station Eleven and it was really great. It's described as a dystopian novel, but I don't think that's really accurate... at least, I think it's more than 'just' a dystopian novel.

I'm terrible at describing/recommending books. Just go read it :P
Zea likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in