My son needs to think about applying for college for next fall - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Main Event...all debate, all the time! WARNING: Anything posted in this forum is fair game for flame! If you are looking for support, take it to the support forums

10Likes
  • 1 Post By PunkassPie
  • 1 Post By Dixie Wrecked
  • 1 Post By TXchick
  • 2 Post By Naomi
  • 2 Post By AJBE
  • 1 Post By BabyKisses
  • 1 Post By Yes, Again
  • 1 Post By mamashack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
First day of school
Hard-Core Sybermom

My son needs to think about applying for college for next fall

Click here to enlarge He's still only 16. I'm not ready for this. He wants to study "something computer related" and he wants to study in English. That means living away from home. At 17. In a much bigger city. Click here to enlarge I don't think either of us are ready for this. Click here to enlarge

Yeah, this has obviously been coming for a while. Going to the "how to chose and apply for college" presentation tonight, combined with upcoming open houses to attend, has made it suddenly very, very real.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 07:07 PM
Punk Kids - 12 Years Old & 7 Years Old

Send a message via Yahoo to PunkassPie
This kind of stuff freaks me out. I will not be ready when it happens Click here to enlarge
Yes, Again likes this.

It's not a feeling, it's a knowing.

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
I'll buck the trend, I don't think her kids are all that in the cute department. not all kids are cute. they have other attributes that make up for that, but look at tweedle's aiden, that is a cute kid. and your kids mel, those are adorable kids. Her's are average. I wouldn't take a second look passing her on the street.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 04:29 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I am in complete denial about how fast this is coming up for us. Click here to enlarge
Yes, Again likes this.

I haven't hocked Scentsy in forever.
So I decided it was time to change my signature.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 04:56 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Same here, Dixie. But DS is so far away from moving out of the house and being on his own...I see him living here and commuting to community college for a couple of years, and you don't really have to apply to those schools. Click here to enlarge But first we have to get him a drivers license. Click here to enlarge
Yes, Again likes this.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
First day of school
Hard-Core Sybermom

Oh yeah, a driver's license would be good too. I guess we should push him on that. Click here to enlarge I think ds would prefer to stay at home and commute, but it's a choice between studying computers in French, doing a generic university prep course at the local college, or going away to do a 2 or 3 year computer science/technology program. The computer programs would be more relevant to what he'd like to do in life, but leaving home is scary according to him. They all have open houses on weekends in November and January, so I guess we'll be doing a lot of visits in the next few months.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 08:53 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXchick View Post
Same here, Dixie. But DS is so far away from moving out of the house and being on his own...I see him living here and commuting to community college for a couple of years, and you don't really have to apply to those schools. But first we have to get him a drivers license. Click here to enlarge
This....exactly

And Julie said "Futz", "Futz" said Julie.
"Futz around until my return."
The definition of "futz" was something we had yet to learn,
But we tried to do it anyway, anyway,
'Cause Julie, we'll do anything you say.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 09:23 AM
LIKE A BOSS
Hard-Core Sybermom

Mine will apply by December for next fall. Crazy how time flies!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 09:24 AM
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Hard-Core Sybermom

He's so young. Can't he start with doing the University prep course first and moving to the 3 year program when he feels more ready to move away? I was young when I went to college, I think a few years of a Junior College and moving later to a four year college would have been a better fit for me.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 10:37 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Molly is in 10th grade now. She took the PSAT and ACT for the first time in 9th grade and is already getting tons of mail as well as talking about college visits and so on.

Super disconcerting, all of it.

I've had a policy for myself since the girls were little that I am only allowed to think one step ahead. So when Molly was in elementary school I could think/worry about middle schools but I just wasn't going to think about high schools yet, etc. The thing that's sort of funny is that when your kid gets to high school it's like BOOM OMG COLLEGE and that comes from every direction (whereas when my kid got to middle school and I thought, "right, okay, I can think about high school now" it was a lot less dramatic. Click here to enlarge )

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; and where there is sadness, joy.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 11:28 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

My daughter will be doing this next year and she did get her license last Feb. Just a G1 right now (Ontario). It's so crazy. I can't believe how time flies.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 11:58 AM
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Hard-Core Sybermom

I'm just getting ready to pay for my oldest's college apps. She's completed them and ready to submit and my youngest will be going to HS next fall. My head is spinning!
BabyKisses and Yes, Again like this.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 12:58 PM
LIKE A BOSS
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBE View Post
I'm just getting ready to pay for my oldest's college apps. She's completed them and ready to submit and my youngest will be going to HS next fall. My head is spinning!
same here. My younger starts HS in the fall, too. Click here to enlarge
AJBE likes this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
First day of school
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by josiebe View Post
He's so young. Can't he start with doing the University prep course first and moving to the 3 year program when he feels more ready to move away? I was young when I went to college, I think a few years of a Junior College and moving later to a four year college would have been a better fit for me.
Three year program (or two year if he prefers) is a career/university prep program, at I guess what you would consider a junior college. Kids graduate high school after grade 11 here, and then can go to work, go into a trade, or go to a college which either does career or university prep. He doesn't want to spend 2 more years doing generic courses with an emphasis on science and math before he can get into any technology specific courses at a university, and I can't say I blame him on that. I'm planning on making him apply to the local college just in case he changes his mind along the way (kids at his high school are guaranteed acceptance as long as they get their high school diploma, but they have to apply early).
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
First day of school
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi View Post
I've had a policy for myself since the girls were little that I am only allowed to think one step ahead. So when Molly was in elementary school I could think/worry about middle schools but I just wasn't going to think about high schools yet, etc. The thing that's sort of funny is that when your kid gets to high school it's like BOOM OMG COLLEGE and that comes from every direction (whereas when my kid got to middle school and I thought, "right, okay, I can think about high school now" it was a lot less dramatic. Click here to enlarge )
My kids range in age from 8 to almost 17, so currently I get to worry about the 8yo finishing elementary, my 11yo heading to high school next year (no middle school here, high school is grades 7-11), my 13yo in high school, and the 16yo finishing high school and choosing a college/career path. Click here to enlarge One step ahead is not helping. Click here to enlarge
Naomi likes this.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 07:40 PM

Click here to enlarge

I feel overwhelmed with my two in elementary school! Click here to enlarge

I have already told my kids that I would love it if they live at home and go to college. I don't want them to leave.

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
I'll buck the trend, I don't think her kids are all that in the cute department. not all kids are cute. they have other attributes that make up for that, but look at tweedle's aiden, that is a cute kid. and your kids mel, those are adorable kids. Her's are average. I wouldn't take a second look passing her on the street.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 07:54 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Punkass, in a few years, you will feel differently.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 07:57 PM

Shut your mouth! Click here to enlarge

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 03:43 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to mamashack
Hank has no desire to leave. He is too sensible to chose an away university when one of the total schools in the country is 6 km away from our place lol. Our plan is that he stays and WE leave at that point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TXchick likes this.

MAMA FOR POPE!

A POPE WHO COOKS!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 07:52 AM
LIKE A BOSS
Hard-Core Sybermom

I want my son to go away, just so he becomes more self-reliant.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 10:56 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

My DD will be 17 in January, currently she's trying to plan her last few driving lessons so she can get her license, take the SAT hopefully in the beginning of the year and then come summer start planning college visits to the schools shes interested in. I'm not really ready for any of this and feel like everything is in fast forward.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in