We haven't done this yet this week: picky eaters - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Main Event...all debate, all the time! WARNING: Anything posted in this forum is fair game for flame! If you are looking for support, take it to the support forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Samantha Louise, 12 years old on 1/14/16
Hard-Core Sybermom

We haven't done this yet this week: picky eaters

I found this really interesting; it placed "picky eating" into an "eating disorder" category (well, not all picky eating). It really resonates with me regarding at least one of my kids.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-pick...have-disorder/

--cited as one of sybermoms' most normal members.

http://365project.org/iowafalduto/365
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 10:46 AM
The noblest of savages

Oh brother. Click here to enlarge

“I don’t know why we don’t create some sort of system where we could train [Syrian refugees] to then go back to their own country and then fight for that country. Doesn’t somebody have to stay in the Middle East and make the Middle East a better place to live?”

Bill Maher
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Samantha Louise, 12 years old on 1/14/16
Hard-Core Sybermom

I'm torn between, "huh, that's an interesting theory" and "oh god, another 'disorder' for people to claim they have," I will admit. And I admit that I pretty much can guess how this thread will go down; half the people will brag that their kids eat everything and the ire half will say their kids won't eat anything. And then Mama wisely admitting that she knows darn well her one kid's non-pickiness is a blessing.

I truly believe, though, that my kid isn't being deliberately defiant when she doesn't eat. It's as if the food were molten lava and she would no more eat that than you would eat someone's gym socks.
PunkassPie and Yes, Again like this.

--cited as one of sybermoms' most normal members.

http://365project.org/iowafalduto/365
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 11:33 AM
First day of school
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquigSoup View Post
I truly believe, though, that my kid isn't being deliberately defiant when she doesn't eat. It's as if the food were molten lava and she would no more eat that than you would eat someone's gym socks.
I'm with you on this. My oldest is like this. Has been since I started offering him food when he was a few months old. My 13yo is also picky, but it's on a whole different level. If I can actually get her to try a new food, there's a decent chance she'll like it.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 11:53 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to mamashack
I absolutely agree that people with strong aversions and issues with food are not just being "picky" to be contrary

MAMA FOR POPE!

A POPE WHO COOKS!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 12:55 PM
The noblest of savages

Yes there are true food aversions. Do we need to label it though? What next, an IEP for th kid who hates wheat bread so it is banned from schools?

All I can think of is Ma Hubbard and her kid with the diet of skittles.

“I don’t know why we don’t create some sort of system where we could train [Syrian refugees] to then go back to their own country and then fight for that country. Doesn’t somebody have to stay in the Middle East and make the Middle East a better place to live?”

Bill Maher
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 09:41 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Interesting article.

There are definitely kids that cross the line from "picky" to "eating disorder" -- a really clear example of that would be Tiddly's daughter, who was unable/unwilling to eat solid food at the age of 5, I think. They did "feeding therapy" which was pretty unpleasant for everyone involved; it did help some, but IIRC not as much as they'd hoped.

And yeah, my kids will eat anything, because they were born unpicky. Well, Kiera now abstains from duck and rabbit because ducks and rabbits are too cute to eat, and she feels guilty about eating pigs but bacon is too delicious to give up. (I expect her to eventually attempt vegetarianism and fail miserably.)

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; and where there is sadness, joy.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 10:10 PM
My biggest fear is that there is no PMS and that this is my personality.
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Twinklestars
I have two who will try things and eat a wide variety of foods. I have one who is picky. For thanksgiving, she will eat steamed broccoli and rolls. She doesn't care for turkey, but loves chicken. She will only eat corn if it is on the cob. Potatoes are only eaten as French fries--recently she added tater tots and the pre-made hash brown patties. No stuffing/dressing. No gravy. No cranberries.

She loves pumpkin pie. We are also having chess squares and she will eat those too. She likes pecans, but won't eat pecan pie.

I am not one of those who believe - broadly speaking - that women are better than men. We have not wrecked railroads, nor corrupted legislatures, nor done many unholy things that men have done; but then we must remember that we have not had the chance.- Jane Addams
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 05:42 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudin View Post
Yes there are true food aversions. Do we need to label it though? What next, an IEP for th kid who hates wheat bread so it is banned from schools?

All I can think of is Ma Hubbard and her kid with the diet of skittles.
I remember her kid would ONLY eat peanut butter because she was being a fucking asshole about some kid in the class having a severe peanut allergy.

I haven't hocked Scentsy in forever.
So I decided it was time to change my signature.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 07:42 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Wrecked View Post
I remember her kid would ONLY eat peanut butter because she was being a fucking asshole about some kid in the class having a severe peanut allergy.
Holy crap what an asshole.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 11:14 AM
The noblest of savages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Wrecked View Post
I remember something with skittles too. Peanut butter and skittles. Such a great diet for any human. And yeah, she basically thought her son's love of peanut butter and the fact that he had an IEP should override the fact that some kid could DIE from being around peanut butter. She was such a dick.

Bill Maher
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 12:14 PM
Punk Kids - 12 Years Old & 7 Years Old

Send a message via Yahoo to PunkassPie
I believe that it can go beyond just being picky and is a real issue for a lot a lot a lot of kids and I will the one to say that I am just really grateful that mine are not too picky because I really don't think I would have the patience for it.

It's not a feeling, it's a knowing.

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
I'll buck the trend, I don't think her kids are all that in the cute department. not all kids are cute. they have other attributes that make up for that, but look at tweedle's aiden, that is a cute kid. and your kids mel, those are adorable kids. Her's are average. I wouldn't take a second look passing her on the street.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 07:44 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I'm wondering if my nieces (12 and 14) are just spoiled, or if their refusal to eat anything but white meat turkey and Stouffer's microwaveable macaroni and cheese yesterday (and every Thanksgiving) is legit.

I've known kids before who outgrew the need for a separate meal of Mac and cheese as they got older and their tastes expanded, but these two don't seem to be.

They don't look like they're disgusted by the rest of the food, they just look spoiled.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 09:49 AM
My biggest fear is that there is no PMS and that this is my personality.
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Twinklestars
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXchick View Post
I'm wondering if my nieces (12 and 14) are just spoiled, or if their refusal to eat anything but white meat turkey and Stouffer's microwaveable macaroni and cheese yesterday (and every Thanksgiving) is legit.

I've known kids before who outgrew the need for a separate meal of Mac and cheese as they got older and their tastes expanded, but these two don't seem to be.

They don't look like they're disgusted by the rest of the food, they just look spoiled.

I won't eat anything but white meat turkey. I accidentally bought a small turkey instead of a bone-in turkey breast. The dogs are getting the dark meat. I would go without meat before I would eat the dark meat.

I am not picky about Mac and cheese. Unless someone decides to get fancy and put blue cheese in it, that I wouldn't eat.

There are very few things that I won't eat in general. Even my picky eater can usually find something.

If your nieces traditionally have that thanksgiving meal, it isn't like it is difficult for their parents to bring/serve the mac and cheese. It is a common side dish around here, maybe they just prefer that brand.

I am not one of those who believe - broadly speaking - that women are better than men. We have not wrecked railroads, nor corrupted legislatures, nor done many unholy things that men have done; but then we must remember that we have not had the chance.- Jane Addams
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 10:12 AM
CAM
I tried

I won't eat poultry on the bone. It grosses me out.

CAM

There are two Americas - separate, unequal, and no longer even acknowledging each other except on the barest cultural terms. In the one nation, new millionaires are minted every day. In the other, human beings no longer necessary to our economy, to our society, are being devalued and destroyed. -- David Simon

I'm magically delicious!

I dated a Nestene duplicate once. Swappable head. Did keep things fresh. Right then! I have questions. But number one is this: What in the name of sanity have you got on your head?
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 10:57 AM
Diz
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I am a picky eater. But since I've gotten older I've realized that I probably was picky because a lot of foods give me digestion problems. I'm not saying that is the case but you never know with kids. Maybe they are listening to their bodies?

People at work think I am strange because I don't like to try new foods. Well, it's lunch and I have to work for the rest of the day. So I'll pass thanks.

Bazinga
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 11:22 AM
The noblest of savages

Not liking dark meat is not an eating disorder. It is a food preference. I don't eat snails, they would make me gag but I don't have a fucking eating disorder. Click here to enlarge

Bill Maher
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I'm pretty sure they're just spoiled.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 11:39 AM
The noblest of savages

Probably. Put some snails in their stouffer's.

Bill Maher
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 12:06 PM
'Tis the season, bitches...
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via AIM to Ypsi Send a message via Yahoo to Ypsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudin View Post
Not liking dark meat is not an eating disorder. It is a food preference. I don't eat snails, they would make me gag but I don't have a fucking eating disorder. Click here to enlarge
Click here to enlarge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in