College - Page 3 - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Main Event...all debate, all the time! WARNING: Anything posted in this forum is fair game for flame! If you are looking for support, take it to the support forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 11:57 AM
Punk Kids - 12 Years Old & 7 Years Old

Send a message via Yahoo to PunkassPie
I barely feel like an adult now!
Pudin, Strange and REDSOXMAMA like this.

It's not a feeling, it's a knowing.

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
I'll buck the trend, I don't think her kids are all that in the cute department. not all kids are cute. they have other attributes that make up for that, but look at tweedle's aiden, that is a cute kid. and your kids mel, those are adorable kids. Her's are average. I wouldn't take a second look passing her on the street.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 12:52 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via AIM to mrs*skankypants
i want her to take her time and make a good decision. but i am going to encourage her to get into some kind of voc training or college after graduating.
TXchick likes this.

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." — Isak Dinesen

"We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them." -John Waters

Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars- Serbian proverb
post #43 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 04:23 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

DD1 is most likely heading to community college in the fall, she wants to do something in the arts. I figure she can explore some more from a bit bigger selection and see how it goes, how she likes it, etc.

DD2 is only in 9th grade but is on the college prep path right not, she is looking at dual enrollment starting next year. She could in theory have her diploma and Associates at graduation if she does this. She knows what she wants and she has the mind to do it.

post #44 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 07:23 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

my oldest is almost 20. He did dual enrollement in high school and came up a few credits short of his AA degree. He could have had a full ride scholarship to local in state universities but he wasn't sure what he wanted to do at all.

So he spent a semester finishing his AA.
And then spent a little longer taking the EMT certification class because we went thru every class and certification at the local community college cause I told him stay in school and he could live at home or get a job and move out. lol

He always wanted to be a doctor as a little one, but in junior high and high school all the aptitude placement things suggested aerospace engineering or chemical engineering. But that didn't really spark his interest much.

The Emt class re-sparked his interest in doctoring people, although probably physician's assistant cause he doesn't really want to go to college for as many years as an MD requires. So now he's signed up at the local univ for pre-med starting in January.

Basically I don't care what he does, just that he does something and doesn't stagnate, and that he knows it will be easier to continue to go to college to finish what you want to finish than to do it in starts and stops. My husband likes to prod him that he didn't go directly to university and I have to remind him that he also got a certificate, dinked around working for a while before he went to college, so it's not unheard of to try a few things before settling into college and a career.
post #45 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 07:25 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Oh my youngest is the opposite--at 15 he has everything worked out. He's going to be a physicist. Or maybe an architect. Of course based on his thoughtful lawyering to get out of trouble most of his life, I think he should check out being an attorney like his grandfather -I mean he already has the law degree certificates (he has his grandfather's name and diplomas hanging on his bedroom walls lol)
post #46 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 06:17 AM
'Tis the season, bitches...
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via AIM to Ypsi Send a message via Yahoo to Ypsi
I'm biased towards college as the default (my dad was a professor so I grew up surrounded by academics, and DH is a professor too); however, it will depend on what my kids want as they grow up. They're 13yo and almost 9yo now so I'm sure it'll change.
post #47 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 07:02 AM
DD with Ramin Karimloo after Les Miz
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express66 View Post
College, military, trade school or work...whatever they choose since they will both be adults when they graduate. Productive members of society is my goal!

Every time we have this discussion I think Click here to enlarge when someone comes along and says college is not optional, I just don't understand that thought process. And although few and far between you can absolutely make some good money without a degree if you willing to work hard for it.
All of this. I used to be college is not optional but I don't know what path DS will take. He wants to be a meteorologist or an air traffic controller. I think he might start at a CC and see what happens from there.

DD is definitely tracking for college but we need to see what HS bring.
post #48 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 07:03 AM
Samantha Louise, 12 years old on 1/14/16
Hard-Core Sybermom

going to college was the expectation of my childhood, and will also be the expectation for my children.

--cited as one of sybermoms' most normal members.

http://365project.org/iowafalduto/365
post #49 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 08:53 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via MSN to silentjen Send a message via Yahoo to silentjen
For sure depends on what career path they decide to follow but some form of post secondary education is expected. An education is something that can never be taken away from you.
post #50 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 10:05 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

the only expectation or demand i have on my sophomore is to not go into debt. whether she goes to college or trade school or works for a while, that is her life decision to make. i don't want her saddled with 60K in debt at the age off 22 just because she feels like she is suppose to get a bachelor's degree in something.

i took my sweet time getting my degree and i am glad i did, but i have so much debt, it really hinders how i live my life. what a scam, college loans.
Pudin likes this.
post #51 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 11:49 AM
The noblest of savages

I too started college and didn't finish. Once my scholarship money ran out, I wouldn't have been able to keep going anyway. Not everyone has it easy. I think people here tend to forget that. The typical thing in your town may not have been the norm for everyone and I bet you had friends who didn't go to college purely because they had to fucking support themselves. Or maybe you didn't. Maybe all your friends had perfect parents with perfect college funds. I wouldn't trade my life experience for a degree, that is for sure.
Orchid and Express66 like this.

“I don’t know why we don’t create some sort of system where we could train [Syrian refugees] to then go back to their own country and then fight for that country. Doesn’t somebody have to stay in the Middle East and make the Middle East a better place to live?”

Bill Maher
post #52 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 11:50 AM
The noblest of savages

As for encouraging college in our kids, our theory has always been we help financially if they want to go for the right reasons.

“I don’t know why we don’t create some sort of system where we could train [Syrian refugees] to then go back to their own country and then fight for that country. Doesn’t somebody have to stay in the Middle East and make the Middle East a better place to live?”

Bill Maher
post #53 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 01:06 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

yes, and i would love to help financially, but i am paying my own loans off and can't do both. my high school bestie starting working at costco in 1991 when we were 17 and still does and makes way more than me with my college degree and debt.
Pudin and Orchid like this.
post #54 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 03:18 PM
The noblest of savages

I think this nation needs to change the way we look at it. Many of the fresh out of college degree in hand people have no fucking idea what they are doing and someone without a degree may be much more qualified or just get how the job should be done. Degree snobbery is ridiculous.
nano and Express66 like this.

Bill Maher
post #55 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 04:28 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

yes, it is. i was a total snob about getting my degree. my degree is a trade. sure there was a lot of theory, which i find pretty useless for bedside nursing. am i proud of have a college degree? sure. looking back, if i could have gone to a trade school instead of university and learned the same skillset for a fraction of the cost, i would have done that.
post #56 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 06:54 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

What is degree snobbery?

post #57 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 06:57 PM
The noblest of savages

When people think you don't deserve the career you have because you never went to or finished college or they think you are less because you don't have a degree. If you think it doesn't exist, it is because you have a degree and haven't experienced it. Click here to enlarge

Bill Maher
post #58 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 06:39 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudin View Post
I too started college and didn't finish. Once my scholarship money ran out, I wouldn't have been able to keep going anyway. Not everyone has it easy. I think people here tend to forget that. The typical thing in your town may not have been the norm for everyone and I bet you had friends who didn't go to college purely because they had to fucking support themselves. Or maybe you didn't. Maybe all your friends had perfect parents with perfect college funds. I wouldn't trade my life experience for a degree, that is for sure.
This - I did not love college or school for that matter - I had to pay for it myself because I knew that my parents couldn't. Within a year at the Post Office I was making more than my parents ever made and my dad worked two jobs. I quit college and made a career out of it, getting into management right after probation, I worked my way up and my plan is to become an executive before I retire. And I have had to put up with the "good ol boys club" for many years!
BabyKisses likes this.
post #59 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 08:43 AM
Once upon a time...
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
But you're not bitter.....

"I feel very Shane today......"
post #60 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 11:16 AM
LIKE A BOSS
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
I am always puzzled by parents with kids that graduate by the skin of their teeth pressuring their kids into college. It makes no sense.
I'm not. I have a friend who was a total fuck up in HS, but she is a mechanical engineer now. She is brilliant! She just didn't want to do the work in HS Click here to enlarge

If they were interested in a trade school, I'd be okay with that. They are going to college otherwise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in