College - Page 4 - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Main Event...all debate, all the time! WARNING: Anything posted in this forum is fair game for flame! If you are looking for support, take it to the support forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 11:18 AM
LIKE A BOSS
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudin View Post
When people think you don't deserve the career you have because you never went to or finished college or they think you are less because you don't have a degree. If you think it doesn't exist, it is because you have a degree and haven't experienced it. Click here to enlarge
Unfortunately, these days it is harder and harder to get into a job with room for promotion without a college degree. I am a legal secretary and many of the big law firms require college degrees now (which is silly!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 11:33 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Lurkey Lou
Quote:
When people think you don't deserve the career you have because you never went to or finished college or they think you are less because you don't have a degree. If you think it doesn't exist, it is because you have a degree and haven't experienced it. Click here to enlarge
I agree! I have over 25 years experience in my field but due to having a lonely little associates degree I can't apply for half the shit out there, it's fucking OFFICE work people it's not damned rocket science! I really didn't see this the last time I was job hunting 20 years ago, but every stinking ad now has it as a requirement.
post #63 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 12:05 PM
The noblest of savages

Apply anyway. You would be surprised how many employers don't care. It is usually the other employees with degrees that care. Click here to enlarge
Lurkey Lou likes this.

“I don’t know why we don’t create some sort of system where we could train [Syrian refugees] to then go back to their own country and then fight for that country. Doesn’t somebody have to stay in the Middle East and make the Middle East a better place to live?”

Bill Maher
post #64 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 12:26 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

So the opposite of "degree snobbery" is having a chip on your shoulder.

post #65 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 01:34 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

It's true. Apparently chemistry changes between Louisiana and Texas because the job my DH did in Louisiana for eight years, he's not even qualified for an entry level position in the same department in Texas without a BS. Which is, IMO, BS. HR has told him the lack of degree gets him automatically screened out so the hiring manager won't even see his resume.

I haven't hocked Scentsy in forever.
So I decided it was time to change my signature.
post #66 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 04:34 PM
The noblest of savages

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXchick View Post
So the opposite of "degree snobbery" is having a chip on your shoulder.
I wouldn't call it a chip, but I find it fascinating when people say someone that is at the top of their career path and kicking ass shouldn't be there because they never finished their degree. Click here to enlarge
Lurkey Lou likes this.

“I don’t know why we don’t create some sort of system where we could train [Syrian refugees] to then go back to their own country and then fight for that country. Doesn’t somebody have to stay in the Middle East and make the Middle East a better place to live?”

Bill Maher
post #67 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 04:34 PM
The noblest of savages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Wrecked View Post
It's true. Apparently chemistry changes between Louisiana and Texas because the job my DH did in Louisiana for eight years, he's not even qualified for an entry level position in the same department in Texas without a BS. Which is, IMO, BS. HR has told him the lack of degree gets him automatically screened out so the hiring manager won't even see his resume.
That sucks.

Bill Maher
post #68 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 06:24 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
It depends on what they want to be.
totally agree w this. for me, i dont push it. for amelia, she has been planning on going to a 4 year since jr high. gavin also plans the same. neither child has a clear idea of that they want to with their lives. lol whatever, i'll help however i can.

post #69 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 05:10 AM
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Hard-Core Sybermom

Given my kids and their particular interests and abilities, I am encouraging them to pursue higher education.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #70 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 07:05 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper View Post
Given my kids and their particular interests and abilities, I am encouraging them to pursue higher education.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Encourage them is a perfect way to put it. Mandate an adult to do something that could put them into debt for years just because is stupid!
post #71 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 08:03 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I kind of resent the implication that my degree came with a side-order of snobbery, because it's not all that impressive of a degree, frankly. Click here to enlarge Yes, I went to one of the top public universities in the country, but I only have a measly Bachelors degree in a liberal arts subject. That gets me a job making $50k, and that's with 20 yrs experience. My ex has about 12 credit hours (I earned him 6 of those) and pulls down $75-90k, depending on the price of oil.
So yeah, you can shove your degree snobbery up your ass, because I don't have any. Click here to enlarge

post #72 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 09:03 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I have a degree and can confidently say I am not snobby about it Click here to enlarge all I got me was a humongous student loan.

I love what I do. There is an almost 100% chance that my employer would have equally considered me with just my law clerk diploma. The degree looks pretty on my rename, that's it.

The *only* positive thing I take from it is that I got it when my kids were older and I'm happy it's something I can tell them I accomplished.

I won't encourage or discourage it for my kids. I'm hoping they're smart enough to choose community college instead Click here to enlarge
post #73 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 09:05 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

* all it got me

* resume. Not rename

Wouldn't want you think my crippling debt was for naught.
post #74 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 11:32 AM
The noblest of savages

I didn't say everyone that has a degree is a snob you paranoid freaks. Click here to enlarge And Texas, you are a teacher and I can not believe how underpaid you and your fellow teachers are. It is pathetic. I am truly disgusted by the way our society views educating children.

Bill Maher
post #75 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 06:18 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Apply anyway. You would be surprised how many employers don't care. It is usually the other employees with degrees that care. Click here to enlarge
Yes, employers these days care. It's hard to score an initial interview without a degree these days. Foot in the door is almost impossible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in