Question that is sure to be controversial. - Page 2 - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Main Event...all debate, all the time! WARNING: Anything posted in this forum is fair game for flame! If you are looking for support, take it to the support forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Yes, ottawa. I don't know if the kids go to Hull these days! Click here to enlarge

The strip used to be raging but when they extended bar hours to 2am in ottawa, hull petered out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 05:55 PM
Sunbeastin
Hard-Core Sybermom

Your younger son will most likely witness this social experiment as well.

poster most fowl

tj=bedazzled scrotum tj=creepy skin tag tj=crotch splotch tj=cyber stockings tj=daisy pincher tj=festering bunion tj=gonad masseuse tj=lard broom tj=lard mallet tj=matted back fat tj=musty mittens tj=nostril polish tj=nut gazer tj=pervert tj=puffed anus tj=sphincter flap tj=squid bollocks tj=syber "mons" tj=taint painter tj=toads nipple tonya tarantula turkey is lead paint tutor hard chairs
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 07:16 PM
The noblest of savages

Alcohol kills more people than guns each year.
Faster Pussycat likes this.

“I don’t know why we don’t create some sort of system where we could train [Syrian refugees] to then go back to their own country and then fight for that country. Doesn’t somebody have to stay in the Middle East and make the Middle East a better place to live?”

Bill Maher
post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 07:44 PM
Sunbeastin
Hard-Core Sybermom

Canada New Year's Eve, no guns Pud. Click here to enlarge
TXchick likes this.

poster most fowl

tj=bedazzled scrotum tj=creepy skin tag tj=crotch splotch tj=cyber stockings tj=daisy pincher tj=festering bunion tj=gonad masseuse tj=lard broom tj=lard mallet tj=matted back fat tj=musty mittens tj=nostril polish tj=nut gazer tj=pervert tj=puffed anus tj=sphincter flap tj=squid bollocks tj=syber "mons" tj=taint painter tj=toads nipple tonya tarantula turkey is lead paint tutor hard chairs
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 11:30 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

No. I would not allow it. I also would not allow my son to go to a party if I knew drinking was involved.

I also did not drop my kid off to stay the night with a girl.

Parenting teens is a blast. I am lucky that my oldest is a steadfast rule follower and keeper of the justice.

My 2nd kid is a rule breaker and a crosser of lines, just like her mommy was. I see trouble on the horizon. I do not plan to be cool with her and turn a blind eye. My mom prides herself on watching me spiral out of control and doing nothing but watch and wait.
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyjoe View Post
Canada New Year's Eve, no guns Pud. Click here to enlarge
Exactly. Alcohol kills x100000 % more people than guns in Canada!
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 06:40 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

IME, Mexicans are the ones who associate NYE with the random firing of guns into the air.

post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 08:38 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I would not allow my underage child to host a party involving alcohol. No way.

Now, my 18 year old went and had a party while I was gone for the night, and her dad busted her. Click here to enlarge
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 04:14 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Hell no and I am not a prude. Click here to enlarge My oldest is 17 and there is no way I would turn a blind eye to alcohol being served to minors in my house.

Last May she went to a graduation party and there was alcohol there and it was being offered to those that were not driving. Thank god my kid had enough sense to not partake in that. I still can't believe it. I get that you want home base to be somewhere that you know will be safe but still no.

post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 04:22 PM
First day of school
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal emission View Post
Yes, ottawa. I don't know if the kids go to Hull these days! Click here to enlarge

The strip used to be raging but when they extended bar hours to 2am in ottawa, hull petered out.
Click here to enlarge Maybe not to the bars, but picking up a 2-4 at the grocery store is easier and cheaper than The Beer Store.
post #31 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 10:01 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

My oldest is almost 17 and all of their friends know that no alcohol/weed/pills are allowed at our house. Sorry. Not not happening

And Julie said "Futz", "Futz" said Julie.
"Futz around until my return."
The definition of "futz" was something we had yet to learn,
But we tried to do it anyway, anyway,
'Cause Julie, we'll do anything you say.

post #32 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 04:04 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I also get the desire to have your house be a place that kids want to go.

My high school friends really liked coming over to my house, even though my parents did not allow drinking, smoking, or drug use on the premises and these were things that many of my friends did. They liked that my parents kept a well-stocked cabinet and did not fuss over teenagers eating all their food. Click here to enlarge And they liked that my parents did not plop down and try to hang out with us.

I think you should try the food thing. Click here to enlarge There are absolutely no rules against hosting a party where food is on offer to 17-year-olds.

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; and where there is sadness, joy.
post #33 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 01:08 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

If they are teenagers and you Offer free food and sparkling cider you'll end up with a house full of kids bonus points if includes pizza and lots of snacks and chocolate Plus video games and movies. That's what I usually do sometimes with a bonfire outside in the fire pit and it works out perfect Plus legal fireworks
Naomi and silentbunni like this.
post #34 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 02:21 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Maby he is asking for your house to be "homebase: knowing you will not let any drinking. Then the pressure to drink is taken away. do as silly said offer food & other things & be clear there is to be no booze.
post #35 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 02:34 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

my 16 year old and drinking... letting her go to a party is acceptable to me knowing she might decide to have a drink. she knows i prefer that she doesn't drink but i am realistic. she knows that she is not to drive if she drinks and she has a few different adults she can call if she does drink. she has been invited to a senior's nye party and we have had the drinking discussion. she just wants to be a designated driver but unfortunately, she can't drive friends around until may.

allowing other people's kids to drink at my house is never going to happen. i remember a mom of a friend buying us liquor in high school and it was so wrong and trashy and pathetic. loved it at the time though!
post #36 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 08:55 PM
Diz
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I would say no. I don't have a problem if a parent supplies their own kid with a drink or two at 17 or so because I think that promotes responsible drinking.

But I wouldn't be the home base for a party with booze. Tell them they can come over, but no booze. Supply pizzas and pop and a basement. It worked for my kids.
Liorien likes this.

Bazinga
post #37 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 05:06 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Noodle
You are fucking insane if you allow under age drinking in your home. There was a case here where the parents hosted a grad party at their lake house and a girl was raped. The girl and her family sued the parents and settled for a huge chunk. Not to mention got forbid someone gets in a car and drives or goes for a walk and gets hit by a car or or or. Crazy talk to facilitate an underage drinking party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #38 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 06:04 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I too would not only not allow drinking in the house if I hosted the party but like todolist would not allow my 17-year-old daughter to go to a party where I knew she would be drinking. So unless my dd agreed to have an alcohol-free party at our house, I guess she'd be staying home NYE. (Which is what she's doing, we're hosting an alcohol-free party at our house, which we've done for the past 3 years).

The liability issues are huge and I would not want to take any chances.

It is easier to build strong children than to repair b.roken men.
-Frederick Douglass

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." -- Benjamin Franklin
post #39 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 12:09 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to _DJ_
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi View Post
I also get the desire to have your house be a place that kids want to go.

My high school friends really liked coming over to my house, even though my parents did not allow drinking, smoking, or drug use on the premises and these were things that many of my friends did. They liked that my parents kept a well-stocked cabinet and did not fuss over teenagers eating all their food. Click here to enlarge And they liked that my parents did not plop down and try to hang out with us.

I think you should try the food thing. Click here to enlarge There are absolutely no rules against hosting a party where food is on offer to 17-year-olds.
My bold, but yes, Click here to enlarge My sons friends all still come over here and hang out all the time. One of his friends is always happy to have bacon available. Click here to enlarge (his dad is/was very very health conscious) But mainly they eat and play video games and I read in my room.
post #40 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I'm pretty much spinning my wheels here. I thought I'd be a great parent of a wayward teenager, having been one myself. It was easier to say (before this behaviour started) that "teenagers will be teenagers: what can you do". Now I'm having a hard time feeling very live and let live.

He had some friends over last night. We recently renovated his room so it's very chill-friendly.

I know he smokes pot occasionally. I figured they would be hanging in his room, watching movies and maybe sneak out to smoke pot. Not sneak TEQUILA in his room. Wtf.

I explored the idea here but have never ever given him any indication that I'm ok with him and his friends partying in his room!!? Click here to enlarge

I am not enjoying this age. I confiscated the booze and we had a long discussion after his friends parents were made to come get them last night.

I feel like I need to give my mom a hug.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in