Tall skinny kid and booster seats! - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Carseats 101 Kids in the car? Buckle them in and do it right. Need ideas? Come inside!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 11:35 AM
Elizabat
Ambulance Chaser

Tall skinny kid and booster seats!

My DD is 3.5 and if she's wearing her winter coat she is pushing the limits of fitting in her car seat. So I've started looking at booster seats, but they all start at 40 pounds and she's just 33 pounds right now.

For now, and safety, my dd rides without her winter coat on. I just don't know what to get for her, or what to do! Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 03:42 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Well, it's better for her to not have the coat on in her seat anyway. During a crash, the coat would compress, leaving the harness loose, which could have serious repercussions.

What seat does she have now? Many of the combination seats(Graco and Evenflo at least) have tall upper harness slots, that should allow her to stay harnessed to 40lbs.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 06:30 PM
Elizabat
Ambulance Chaser

It's a Century, though I can't remember the model number. It was rated best by Consumer Reports in 2000, when she was born.

The instructions said that if the tops of the ears are beyond the back of the car seat to get a larger carseat, which is the case with my daughter. I'd say that the danger of neck injury is the reason for the height recommendation. It is suppose to go up to 40 pounds, but she's a tall girl. It's been on the highest setting for the shoulder straps since she was about 18 months. I have yet to have to move the buckle position.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 06:38 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Aah, you have the Century 1000. My own DS outgrew that seat at about your DD's age, at only 30lbs. The Evenflo Chase or Comet, and Graco Cargo(make sure you pick one with a front adjuster) both have much higher top harness slots than the Century 1000 does. They should both definitely get your DD to 40lbs harnessed.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 04:53 AM
Ambulance Chaser

We have the Evenflo comet, and it fits DS great. He is 32 lbs, and 39 inches tall.

He has lots of room to go. Click here to enlarge
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 09:44 AM
Elizabat
Ambulance Chaser

THANK YOU BOTH : D I'm going to get one today!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in