Question about rf seat and harness height - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Carseats 101 Kids in the car? Buckle them in and do it right. Need ideas? Come inside!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Question about rf seat and harness height

I'm wondering in general how much higher a child can be than the highest slot when rear-facing. I looked through the manual of our only rf seat that we have at the moment (Cosco Scenera) and it only says that the slots must be at or just below the shoulders. It doesn't say how far below is acceptable. I'm picturing a child who is still under 35 pounds (rf max) but is too tall to face forward. Can they face the rear still? And what do othe seats (like the roundabout) say about rf harness height?

I hope this makes sense!

Also, don't some seats have restrictions on using certain slots for facing certain ways? It's been a while since we've used a convertible seat so I can't remember. Our Scenera doesn't say anything about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Anyone? It doesn't specify for our RA either.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Ambulance Chaser

I've never heard a specific number/inches for what's acceptable re: straps below shoulders, but generally when a child is quite a bit above the top slots their head will be too tall/too far out of the seat shell to safely rear-face. Most seats require the head to remain below the top of the seat shell, or sometimes 1 inch below the top of the seat shell, to continue rear-facing. Britax is an exception to the rule and allows rear-facing to continue until the tips of the child's ears are even with the top of the seat shell.

I do know the Graco ComfortSport does not allow the top slots to be used for rear-facing. Never heard a straight answer as to WHY, but I'm guessing because a child tall enough to need the top slots rear-facing is already over the top of the seat shell.

On some seats only the top slots can be used for forward-facing because those were the only ones reinforced enough to take the crash forces when installed forward-facing. The Evenflo Triumph comes to mind--but I heard that the newest models say all slots are reinforced.

Best bet when it doubt is to call the carseat manufacturer. I am almost positive that Cosco requires there to be an inch of seat shell above the child's head to continue rear-facing. Others say "even with". Britax says "tips of ears even with top of seat shell".
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Well, that makes sense. Thank you!

I'm not even sure why I asked this question, lol. My 4yo is in a Husky and is at 35 pounds so he can't rf. My 6yo is way too big to rf. And my 5mo will likely outgrow the weight limit before height (he's 24 pounds already).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 04:56 PM
Ambulance Chaser

I ask all kinds of questions that don't specifically pertain to me or mine, but I just like to know--so I understand. Click here to enlarge

Something I said in my previous post was incorrect:

Quote:
Britax is an exception to the rule and allows rear-facing to continue until the tips of the child's ears are even with the top of the seat shell.
Britax used to say that; they have recently changed the information on their website to say a child is too tall to rear-face when the head is even with the top of the seat shell. I'm a little confused as to why they don't think anyone needs to be informed of this, everyone who has a manual that says the old information. Still, I was always a little uncomfortable with the idea of a child rear-facing with their head out of the shell.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

I honestly thought it was ears. Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in