New question: Canada/convertible - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Carseats 101 Kids in the car? Buckle them in and do it right. Need ideas? Come inside!

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
Unsupportive Freeloader
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: near Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 6,025
           
New question: Canada/convertible

Okay, Miss Outnumbered I would like some advice.

Ds is still in his Graco infant seat because he's well under the weight restriction but he's approaching the height restriction. We want to keep him rear-facing. I was going to purchase the Britax Marathon because I thought that was best BUT I just read something you wrote that maybe it isn't the best.

He's 13.5 months old, about 23lbs and maybe 30 inches tall. His car is a 2005 Nissan X-Trail. The lease is up in August but I'm probably going to buy the car. Any suggestions?
betholio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
Unsupportive Freeloader
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: near Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 6,025
           
Oh and I live in Ontario, Canada but I'm not sure how that would affect which is the best car seat.
betholio is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 07:49 PM
Registered User
Unsupportive Freeloader
 
Outnumbered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: west of civilization
Posts: 32,869
           
Click here to enlarge


Firstly, Britax is nice.

Secondly, it's not best. No such animal.

Right now, especially given the fact that you live in Canada, the First Years True-Fit is a better bet. It's one of the few seats that go all the way to 35 lbs rearfacing, and with the tall shell will keep you rearfacing the longest. (Interestingly enough, it's also loads cheaper than the Marathon)

Given that you said he's 23 pounds but within the 'weight restriction' I'm guessing you have the SafeSeat One/Snugride 32. Regardless of what his actual height is, the seat will be outgrown by height when there is less than an inch of shell over his head. Most kids get to 18 months plus in that seat, so unless your bebe is ginormous, you probably still have plenty of time.
Outnumbered is offline  
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
Unsupportive Freeloader
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: near Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 6,025
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outnumbered View Post
Click here to enlarge


Firstly, Britax is nice.

Secondly, it's not best. No such animal.

Right now, especially given the fact that you live in Canada, the First Years True-Fit is a better bet. It's one of the few seats that go all the way to 35 lbs rearfacing, and with the tall shell will keep you rearfacing the longest. (Interestingly enough, it's also loads cheaper than the Marathon)

Given that you said he's 23 pounds but within the 'weight restriction' I'm guessing you have the SafeSeat One/Snugride 32. Regardless of what his actual height is, the seat will be outgrown by height when there is less than an inch of shell over his head. Most kids get to 18 months plus in that seat, so unless your bebe is ginormous, you probably still have plenty of time.
Yeah, the SafeSeat is the one we have. It goes to 30lbs because someone told me I would prefer that than having to change at 22lbs. I guess I do. The seat says the max is 32" and he was 30" the last time we measured him.

I don't think the Nissan X-Trail is sold in the US. It has one of those flop down armrests in the rear seat so the car seat clinic said we couldn't put our rear-facing seat in the centre. Presumably this True-Fit is fine on one side? Is it an easy install?

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.
betholio is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Registered User
Unsupportive Freeloader
 
Outnumbered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: west of civilization
Posts: 32,869
           
Unless the vehicle manual actually says "You cannot put a child seat in the center position in this car", it's fine to put the seat in front of a flop-down arm-rest.

Years ago, an Evenflo infant carrier made a rule against it (which they later reversed) and somehow it became urban legend and got applied to all seats. Not true.

Your car is a Canada special so unfortunately I don't have the stats on it, but a quick glance at my LATCH manual shows that no US Nissans have an arm-rest prohibition. I would guess the same is true of your car.

The True Fit is a fairly simple-though-complicated seat. LOL. It's actually quite easy, but it's more involved than the standard 'throw the belt throw the hole and plug it in' seats. It has lock offs underneath the cover for both LATCH and seatbelt installs (FYI, Nissan does not allow the use of center LATCH so if you do go with the center install, you must use the belt).

The cover is removable without removing the harness and very soft and plush. The harness is adjustable without re-threading. It has a taller top harness position than the Marathon, and a taller shell as well, so it lasts longer for both rear and forward facing.
Outnumbered is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
Unsupportive Freeloader
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: near Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 6,025
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outnumbered View Post
Unless the vehicle manual actually says "You cannot put a child seat in the center position in this car", it's fine to put the seat in front of a flop-down arm-rest.

Years ago, an Evenflo infant carrier made a rule against it (which they later reversed) and somehow it became urban legend and got applied to all seats. Not true.

Your car is a Canada special so unfortunately I don't have the stats on it, but a quick glance at my LATCH manual shows that no US Nissans have an arm-rest prohibition. I would guess the same is true of your car.

The True Fit is a fairly simple-though-complicated seat. LOL. It's actually quite easy, but it's more involved than the standard 'throw the belt throw the hole and plug it in' seats. It has lock offs underneath the cover for both LATCH and seatbelt installs (FYI, Nissan does not allow the use of center LATCH so if you do go with the center install, you must use the belt).

The cover is removable without removing the harness and very soft and plush. The harness is adjustable without re-threading. It has a taller top harness position than the Marathon, and a taller shell as well, so it lasts longer for both rear and forward facing.

Yeah, well the car seat clinics aren't the end all and be all I guess. The same car seat clinic lady ran baby club and she was shocked when I mentioned the tether for the rear-facing Britax. She ended up calling me later at home and said "yeah, it does have that".

That's good about the taller shell. I have a feeling junior is going to be on the tall side. I don't know why, both my husband and I aren't, but he just seems that way to me.
betholio is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
Unsupportive Freeloader
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: near Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 6,025
           
Complicated install is okay as long as it's reasonable. My MiL bought a Cosco Scenera to have in her car and my dh just about went mental trying to put it in. The car seat clinic people ended up doing it but it involved pool noodles and the nurse practically sitting in the seat while the dude cranked it tight. We told MiL "don't you go trying to take that out".
betholio is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 07:35 AM
Registered User
Unsupportive Freeloader
 
Outnumbered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: west of civilization
Posts: 32,869
           
The Cosco Scenera plus rearfacing installs can be a total beast. It's a cheap, budget friendly seat that we use A LOT as giveaways in clinics, but yeah. Before I was a tech mine reduced me to tears a few times and I ended up giving it away to a passerby at my yardsale who didn't have her child in a proper seat Click here to enlarge I felt both virtuous and incredibly relieved Click here to enlarge
Outnumbered is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
Unsupportive Freeloader
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: near Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 6,025
           
We were out last night and bumped into one of my MiL's dingbat friends. She coos over Rob for a few seconds and then says "You're still facing backwards? Soon you'll be allowed to turn around and see where you're going." What a dip.
betholio is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Registered User
Unsupportive Freeloader
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In a nutshell
Posts: 6,753
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by betholio View Post
We were out last night and bumped into one of my MiL's dingbat friends. She coos over Rob for a few seconds and then says "You're still facing backwards? Soon you'll be allowed to turn around and see where you're going." What a dip.
You go with your bad rear-facing self! I go so muck flak for RFing DD until she was 2.5, it's still not incredibly common here in NS. And I also wanted to second the True Fit, it's what we're going to get for DS when he outgrows the infant seat. Great price & gotta love the weight & height limits. Recommended to me by a certified car seat technician as well.
Agnes Nutter is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
Unsupportive Freeloader
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: near Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 6,025
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnes Nutter View Post
You go with your bad rear-facing self! I go so muck flak for RFing DD until she was 2.5, it's still not incredibly common here in NS. And I also wanted to second the True Fit, it's what we're going to get for DS when he outgrows the infant seat. Great price & gotta love the weight & height limits. Recommended to me by a certified car seat technician as well.
I bought the True Fit last week and dh got it installed pretty quickly into my car. Going to a car seat clinic this Saturday to make sure they approve of the installation but kidwick seems pretty comfortable in it. I really like the little extra pads they have around the straps at the child's neck. Our old seat didn't have that and I was forever obsessing about pulling his shirt up so the straps wouldn't rub against his neck.
betholio is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
Unsupportive Freeloader
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: near Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 6,025
           
Now I have another question. Let's say I bought another First Years True Fit (we already have one installed in my new Altima and we're quite happy with it). Would it be okay to install in the front seat of a '95 Nissan pick-up? No airbags in my husband's truck. And let's say for arguments sake he might be sometimes transporting a two year old and maybe very rarely transporting an infant. We could just put those cozy inserts in and out, no?
We will have to buy a new house next Spring, we really don't want to have to also buy a new vehicle.
betholio is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
Unsupportive Freeloader
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: near Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 6,025
           
bump for safe babies.
betholio is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 08:51 PM
Registered User
Unsupportive Freeloader
 
Outnumbered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: west of civilization
Posts: 32,869
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by betholio View Post
Now I have another question. Let's say I bought another First Years True Fit (we already have one installed in my new Altima and we're quite happy with it). Would it be okay to install in the front seat of a '95 Nissan pick-up? No airbags in my husband's truck. And let's say for arguments sake he might be sometimes transporting a two year old and maybe very rarely transporting an infant. We could just put those cozy inserts in and out, no?
We will have to buy a new house next Spring, we really don't want to have to also buy a new vehicle.
Sorry, I didn't see this earlier.

Yes, a rear facing seat in the front seat of a vehicle without air bags is still very safe, although the rear seat is always ideal. The inserts do come out without uninstalling the seat, so you could definitely put rear facing children in there of various sizes with minimal difficulty, I think. Just remember to adjust the harness height and the crotch strap.
Outnumbered is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
Unsupportive Freeloader
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: near Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 6,025
           
For anyone in Canada, I thought I'd mention that the First Years True Fit is on sale at Zellers for $155. Down from the usual $199. I just picked up my second one.
betholio is offline  
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Registered User
Unsupportive Freeloader
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In a nutshell
Posts: 6,753
           
Thanks, Betholio, I should probably grab one now while they're on sale. Click here to enlarge
Agnes Nutter is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome