Help me choose a carseat - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Carseats 101 Kids in the car? Buckle them in and do it right. Need ideas? Come inside!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Help me choose a carseat

My kids:

DS is still well below the limit on his Graco Snugride, but he's getting big enough that we may switch him to a convertible just because we don't want to carry the bucket anymore. We have one brand new Britax Marathon just waiting for him. DD is in two Britax Marathons, one of which is approaching its expiration date (the other isn't and can be used for DS if we swich DD to something else).

DD is 5 yrs old. She weighs about 40 pounds and is approximately 43" tall.

I'm contemplating getting her two of the Graco Nautilus car seats. I've read some online reviews that suggest that she might not be able to use the 5 point harness. I sort of want her in a harness because I'm not sure she's ready for just the seat belt with a booster (high back of course).

What do you think? Is there something we should consider other than the Nautilus? I don't want to pay a million dollars, but I'm willing to buy good, safe seats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I absolutely ADORE the Nautilus. It goes to 100 overall, (65 harnessed, so another 2 years or so for your kiddo).

I have ds in a marathon in dh's car and a nautilus in mine. I seel it whenever I can.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Oh, and my ds is 42" tall and about 40 pounds. We still have a year or more harnessed (based on current growth rate)
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 05:47 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I can't imagine why your five year old wouldn't fit in the Nautilus. My almost-five-year old is 44 pounds and 45 inches and still has about an inch and a half of torso growth before he maxes out the harness. He's 90th percentile for height and I don't think he'll outgrow the harness before 6 and a half, possibly longer if his growth slows a bit.

(The reviews you saw may have been based on people who didn't realize that you had to pull the head rest all the way to the top to reveal the last two harness height slots.)

The Nautilus would be fine for your daughter, as would the Britax Frontier.

If you think she's ready for a booster, 'good' boosters include the Graco Turbo-booster (don't forget the screws in the armrests), the Recaro Vivo, the Britax Parkway SlideGuard, and the Sunshine Kids Monterey (although she might be a bit small to fit this seat well). If you want to just have a booster handy for short rides/rides with friends, the Turbo is a great economic choice that fits little kids very well.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Thanks.

The anti-Nautilus reviews that I read weren't concerned about the top harness slots but about the piece that goes between the kid's legs. Click here to enlarge
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 06:21 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

The crotch strap is shallower on the Nautilus than the Frontier, and bigger kids (bigger than yours or mine) will sit on it. However, this is not a safety issue, as confirmed by Graco, nor does it really seem to be a comfort issue to the child (although parents sometimes put their perceptions on the kid, sort of the same way some parents insist their one year olds are too squished to rear face).

It's my son's favorite seat out of the several he sits in, and he asks for it, so I don't think it bothers him, anyway!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in