Recommend a booster, please - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Carseats 101 Kids in the car? Buckle them in and do it right. Need ideas? Come inside!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via AIM to Dotje Send a message via Yahoo to Dotje
Recommend a booster, please

My 30 pound 2 year old is level with the top harness slots in his ComfortSport. We got it free from our child birth class, so I'm not disappointed. It's been a good "tweener" seat.

We have a 2002 Accord. The seat belt latches seem to be too long to work with most car seat slots. And the belts don't lock, so to add the locking clamp would mean trying to put it on to the belt while the belt is inside of the seat. I can't make that work.

I picked up a Safety 1st Vantage Point today, not realizing the top slots were so low. So we won't be keeping it. But it taught me that the LATCH adjuster on some seats is also too long to put the seat in tightly. To install this seat I'd have to have the latch adjuster inside of the seat slot, and there's no good way to pull it tightly enough from that position.

So, can anyone recommend a good 5 point harnessed booster that will potentially last my kid until he's ready for a backless. I'd like to spend $100 or less. And I need to be able to use the LATCH for it without too much difficulty, as we transfer the seat to my mom's car once a month or so. Also, it's between 2 backless boosters, so the big kids need to be able to buckle their seat belts. So far with the ComfortSport and the Scenera this hasn't been an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I'm not a car seat tech and it seems Outnumbered has flown the coop, but isn't 2 too young for a booster? How tall is he? I thought no booster til they were 4 or so.

I drive an Accord, it's 98. My 3.5 yr old is about 33 lbs, probably 39" tall and is still in a car seat, not a booster. It's a Cosco and I don't like it, but she still fits in it and it installed fine.

Let me ask someone who knows and get back to you.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Ok, this is from a certified car seat technician on another board I go to:

Quote:
All cars since 1996 have to have locking seatbelts, so there is no reason to use a locking clip. Also remember you cannot use LATCH in the middle position of that car, only in the outboard spots. I would strongly reccomend seeing a carseat tech as well since 90% of seats are used incorrectly, especially if the seat gets moved to new cars often. www.seatcheck.org is a good place to start but you can also look on www.safekids.org

A good seat for now would be the Evenflo Maestro. It has 18" top slots and harnesses to 50#. It makes a decent booster, but won't last long if the child outgrows it by height before weight but a booster at 5 or 6 is great and you can get a high backed one at Wal-Mart for $40 or so. You can get the Maestro at some Sears otherwise you'll have to get it online, that's the only drawback for it.
Does that help?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

The Maestro or the Nautilus. The top slots on the Nautilus are rather tall, it harnesses to 65lbs, and then converts to a booster. But, it is rather wide, so if it's in between 2 boosters it may not work. It can be purchased at Walmart or Target(the Target cover is better) so easily found too. You could always buy one, and just try the base out in your vehicle to see if it would work, before you put the seat together.

and I would recommend going to a seat check with whatever new seat you purchase, for one you can't use LATCH in most middle vehicle positions(read your owner's manual to be sure)

And good thing bringing the Vantage point back. They have BAD harness adjusters. do a google search about it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Oh, and you can also ask at www.car-seat.org for recommendations.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in