Rear-Facing Care Seat over 35lbs - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Carseats 101 Kids in the car? Buckle them in and do it right. Need ideas? Come inside!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Rear-Facing Care Seat over 35lbs

Hey Agnes et al

We have a convertible First Years at the moment and it maxes out at 35lbs. I'm not sure how fast ds is going to pack on the weight (at the moment he hovers around 30lbs). Is there a rear-facing seat available in Canada that goes over the 35lb mark?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Hi Beth! My first customer, lol.

Yes, there are several now, which is awesome!

The First Years True Fit now RFs to 45 lbs, I think they just increased it in the last year. It goes on sale at Zellers every once in a while. They often post the wrong weight limits in the flyer though so don't go by what the ad says. I just looked at the BRU sight and it's saying RF to 35 lbs, but I am sure it's 45 as this was one of the seats we were considering and that was the reason.

Sunshine Kids Radians now RF to 45 lbs. This is the one we got for DS, we got the XT model. It's pricier but you can get deals online from time to time & we are hoping it will last as it also a nice tall seat which FFs to 65 lbs.

Graco My Ride Rfs to 40 lbs.

The Safety 1st Air Protect RFs to 40 lbs.

I think that is all, not sure about Britax. I thought they had recently increased their RF limit but now can't find info to support that.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Cool! I'll watch the flyers.

Dh and I were talking again today about our troubles with my MiL and he said "some day he will have to eventually face forward. Some day he will, please be ready for that." All the while I'm thinking "if I have to fly to Sweden to buy a RF seat for my 15 year old, I will. Please be ready for that."

Figures my two First Years True Fits are max 35 lbs. But that's okay, I don't mind spending the extra dosh for some peace of mind. Right now we own 4 car seats! I only have one child and one on the way. Eventually I may work my way up to owning 6 carseats!
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I had 4 seats for just DD. 2 infant carriers & 2 convertibles. Click here to enlarge She can still use the convertibles and DS reused the carriers so it's not too bad. I've already gotten rid of one infant one on kijiji.

Have only bought one new seat for the boy, the Radian, but hopefully it will last him til he needs a booster way, way down the road.

So you're still RFing, good for you! He's 2.5, right? He's well under the weight limit still, how's he doing for height in the seat? My DD outgrew her convertible in height before she did in weight.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Oh and hey, did you have lunch with your MIL after that last run in? How did that go?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

He turned 2 in May.

Ha! I should know off the top of my head how tall he is, but I don't. I do know that he's waaaay below the top of that head rest extender thing with the First Years True Fit. He outgrew his previous rear-facing seat well before he outweighed it. I wouldn't doubt that the same might happen for the rear-facing seat. He's not chubby.

I did meet her for the lunch show and we didn't talk much. I'm kinda writing about it in the Nodak thread, but I broached the subject with her this morning and that's when she told me she thought he should FF so he can see where he's going. Dh came home at lunch, saw how worked up I was watching scary youtube videos and gave her another talking to and I just sent her an e/mail with links to said scary youtube crash videos.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I saw what you wrote in the other thread, did you see me post the joelsjourney.org link there? That is a good one, it hits them right on the front page with evidence of what can happen to a kid turned too soon, and also has a TON of links on ERFing on the FAQ page.

I do not know how you restrain from just blowing up at your MIL. "But he can't seeeeeeee!!" whine, whine. Oh really, he can't see where he's going, that is a major tragedy compared to oh, A BROKEN NECK DUMBASS. Click here to enlarge

I also found out that Britax is coming out with new seats in Sept and the rumour is that they will RF higher than 35 lbs but no set numbers yet.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 08:59 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

The new Cosco Scenera's rearface to 40lbs!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Ooh, good to know! I just checked and it seems the ones for Canada RF to 40 as well. Click here to enlarge
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Hiya Agnes,

So dh asks me a couple of days ago "is it okay if I put another seat in Mom's car if I teach her how to strap him in properly and make sure she does it?"

Ha, my poor hen-pecked husband! I said "if she's gonna take it seriously this time" and he replies "oh yeah, she'll take it seriously." Point made perhaps?

Co-incidentally my pals at Zellers had the First Years True Fit on sale for $149.99 this week so I stopped in. They didn't have any left except the floor model (which said "RF up to 35 lbs") but I got a raincheck so I'm hoping that when I go collect my raincheck it'll be the newer one you mentioned (RF to 45lbs). I had decided not to bother with this sale for ourselves because who knows how long it'll take ds to get over 35 pounds? Seeing as those dang seats expire, there's no point in buying one too early.

I told my Mom she's getting lessons in strapping him in this coming weekend and I have to concede that it would be helpful if my MiL is on board because I'm going to have a baby in a month and very possibly by C-section so I should have some reliable childcare lined up. These child minders might need to transport him to daycare or something.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Beth - I was wrong, the true fit only goes to 35 lbs RF. My mistake, I thought it was 45 but I think only the Radians do that. Sorry. I ended up getting one just this week as well for DS for my mom's car because he's quite a peanut, he's just 20 lbs now at 15 mos, so I figure it will last him a while RF. I may have to turn him before I do in my own car but for a grandparent seat I think it will do the job long enough. It's a really nice seat otherwise! I like it, easy to adjust the harness straps up and down, the crotch buckle, has built in lock offs, was pretty easy to install and doesn't take up so much room behind the passenger seat RF as the Radian does.

BTW the new Britax seats RF to 40 lbs but people are complaing about them because even though they've upped the weight limit they've made the shell height shorter, they claim to make it better to install. They also claim that it will not make the child outgrow them faster but I don't see how this is possible.

My apologies again for the mis-info on the true fit!! I was sure it was one of the higher ones.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Ah! Curses. Oh well. It's the one that dh has loads of experience installing so I'll still use my raincheck. I think my boy is taller than he is girthy so I'll bide my time on the next seat and check out the Radian later, but yeah, it wouldn't work for me if they've shortened the body. He grew too tall for his last seat waaaaay before he grew too hefty. In fact I think he still hovers around the weight requirement for that seat (30lbs max).

I also like the True Fit because it'll take an infant, so one seat fits all soon in the Betholio household. We'll have one in Grandma's car and one in Dad's truck so if they need to transport baby I think all we have to do is put in that extra cushion thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in