Okay Agnes, here's one - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Carseats 101 Kids in the car? Buckle them in and do it right. Need ideas? Come inside!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Okay Agnes, here's one

Dh's truck is dying and will likely conk out soon. We can't really afford to buy something new but it'll be a real pain being a 1 vehicle family too (sometimes he needs a vehicle for work). We've talked about getting a cheapish (10Gs) minivan but I know he really really doesn't want to drive a minivan.

So, my point. The local dealership has a '72 International Scout for sale. It is awesome cool looking. 4 Dr. I'm sure it burns gas like a pig, but dh doesn't drive very far. He works so very hard and I kind of want to push him to buy this Scout because it's so funky and so him (awesome & built like a tank). Of course there are only lap belts in the back but our kids are 3 and 10 months so they'll be in full on car seats for years still. Is there something that would make it unsafe to install the car seats in this old old car?

Dh prefered to install the Radian in his truck with the seatbelt over the hooks and I think that's how he's got the other one in his Mom's vehicle too (seatbelt).

There is zero point in buying this damn vehicle if we can't put car seats in it.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Well, I have no clue about '72 International Scouts per se, but some general things I would keep in mind when buying a car of that age are:

- you might want to think about having the seatbelts replaced. I would not be comfortable with original seatbelts, almost 40 years old. I think the general guideline is 10-15 years but don't quote me on that. I'd get them replaced by a reputable dealer. A lap belt install would be fine RFing then.

- Is your 3 year old FFing yet? When he does, you'll need the top tether anchors installed too. Is there a dealer that will service this vehicle?

What do you mean by seatbelt "over the hooks" of the radian?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Oh, well, that's interesting. Yeah, I can definitely look into the seatbelt replacement thing. What a great idea.

I just mean that dh went on about how much easier the Radian was to install than the First Years. Maybe the Radian doesn't install with the latch things? I should really know this stuff if I ever have to move it (though I'm pretty set on once a car seat is installed we never move it).

My 3 year old is still RF.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Oh, oh, I see, he preferred installing it with the seatbelt instead of the UAS. I was thinking he was putting a sealtbelt over some sort of hook. Click here to enlarge I gotcha now.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

He's decided that the International isn't practical anyway. Now we're looking at minivans. A minivan makes more sense but I'm not trying to cut off his balls, you know? He had to come around to it himself. Though he would have looked rockin' tooling around town in the International.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in