So when does rear-facing get ridiculous? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Carseats 101 Kids in the car? Buckle them in and do it right. Need ideas? Come inside!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

So when does rear-facing get ridiculous?

Rob is 3.5, maybe 37lbs? He's in that Radian seat and perfectly fine rear-facing. Can he stay in it until he outweighs the weight restriction? I'm a little confused as to the height restriction. The manual says that his head can be up over the top edge of the seat but I assume that's just for forward facing. I know the weight limit for RF on the seat is 45lbs but what's the height restriction? How many inches below the top of the headrest?

They've stopped doing car seat clinics in my area because they weren't getting turnout or someshit. One of the ones I went to we had to wait for over an hour after our appointment time so it didn't seem too underbooked. I went to a couple of others that were quieter but still obviously had 'customers'.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 05:36 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Yes, head over the top of the seat is just for FFing. RFing he still needs one inch of shell above his head. If there is a height in the manual, the 1" above their head rule generally overides it because 2 kids of the same height might not have the same torso height. I don't know why manufacturers don't just put that in there instead of trying to assign a specific height.

As to when it gets ridiculous? That's up to you, if he fits and he's happy and you're happy, it's fine. My personal minimum is 3, my goal is 4 for DS but anytime in between I figure job well done. Click here to enlarge
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Okay, cool.

He still fits in there fine. It'll be interesting to see if he outgrows it before he's four. I have no problem leaving him in after then either (though we got another comment this weekend along the lines of "tell your Dad to switch you around"). The guy's wife told him to shut up so that was nice. She's quite smart and a very caring mom so she probably knows about the suggestions regarding car seats (their son is 6).

Thanks for the info.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 03:44 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

you are right

Oh, that's Great Sir !!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in