Online class takers? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Syber Students Support for Moms in school.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Online class takers?

Click here to enlarge anyone here take an online class or 2 or 3? What has your expierence been with it and has it been easier/harder than attending regular classes?

The local comm college here offers quiet a few online classes and instead of procrastinating another semester. I figured this way would be a good to get my foot in the door towards the prerequisits.

I have to be totally honest... scared to death here of getting back to school, it's been so long and I'm afraid to leave my kiddos. (most especially my youngest DS who's just turned 6mo) REALLY have to hand it to y'all, you're SUPER WOMEN to be going to school along with being a mommy and homemakers!!! Click here to enlarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 07:41 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I've done a couple of online classes and really it can be easier, harder, or the same as a regular class. It really depends on the teacher.

I took an online nutrition class. The prof had like a 95% pass rate for the class....her IRL class had about a 60% pass rate. Her tests were apparently killers and she had a lot of assignments due for the traditional class. Her online class was so easy you could take the tests in your sleep and the assignments were only 100 words each.

Then I also took an online med term class and that was so hard I ended up withdrawing. Well the class wasn't THAT hard, but the speed of it was horrible....We had an assignment due second day of the semester and it just didn't let up.

The only advice I have for taking online classes is to treat it like a regular class. Schedule time during your day where you are supposed to be in class. Do not do anything else during that time. tell yourself that this is a regular class and you are responsible for sitting there working on it on these days at these times. The reason I did badly in my med term class was that I just kept trying to work on it here and there when I had some free time and I ended up getting buried with work. You gotta treat it like a class that you're responsible for being at it.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 01:41 AM
Ihavekids
Ambulance Chaser

I've taken a bunch of online classes. I've taken Stats, Accounting, Financial Accounting, personal finance, English, Introduction to computers. For the most part they're easy. Its just pretty much read the book and take the test. I'm going to try to take an online calculus class next quarter.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Thanks Momma's... there's a couple classes I plan on signing up for online and possibly some telecourse, but I want to ask if anyone here has taken any of those.

I think the online course would be a great way to go for me since I can get a good 2 hours a day to study while the kids are napping and then when DH is home I can go online for the courses.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 08:47 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I'm in the middle of my second IRL semester and am going to attempt a largely on-line semester in the spring. I've been out of the loop for many years also, and am personally glad that I took the first few classes IRL. It got me back into study habits/routines that I would have been lost without had I just jumped into on-line stuff. I totally agree with needing to set aside some routine time to study/get on-line that you treat as though you are actually in the classroom. I'm currently staying at my office 2 nights/week to study for my 7pm classes. I can't seem to discipline myself to do the reading at home.

If you're going to go for it (and I say, "Bravo!"), maybe just take one class to start to get the feel for it. I think it just depends on your personality and individual level of desperation, also. Click here to enlarge

Good luck!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 10:26 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I may be taking one or two on-line classes next semester, English 101 and College Algebra. We'll see, I don't know if they will be open when I register or not, and I might decide it would be better to take at least math IRL.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Grrrrr, I know what you mean Empress... went to sign up for a couple online classes and they were already filled up less than a week after registration started! Not to mention Thanksgiving holiday and the weekend was in there... geesh, we have to be on top of those things!

I did however get signed up for 1 class and possibly trying for another otherwise I won't be able to get the Stafford loan check... and I cannot afford to pay out of pocket 900+, still not in state tution as I will have only been here 11mos when winter session starts Click here to enlarge
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 07:04 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

My entire program is online and I really like the format. The interaction between classmates and the quality of discussion is much better than I've experienced in traditional courses. The key is to be able to discipline yourself to do the work. My courses are extremely demanding and I spend an average of 4-5 hours online each night.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

thanks again Momma's... so far I've signed up for 2 courses, Eng 101 online and the math I'm taking in the classroom during the later evenings.

pooh... gotta run, DS2 is fussing and D.H has to get up at the buttcrack of dawn for work :P
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 07:34 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I am working on my MS in Organizational Mgmt 100% online. There are pros and cons-the pros far outweighing the cons.

Make sure you get an instructor(s) who is flexible with their posting requirements. I've had some who treated the online course exactly like a traditional course and frankly that defeated the purpose. The best format is one that gives you a syllabus or course schedule and you then have an entire week to complete the weekly assignments (as opoosed to post by say Weds. of the week!)

If that rambling didn't make sense I can clarify. Click here to enlarge
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 07:14 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to bluebonnet
I have taken both, and I think it totally depends on the teacher, the subject, and how you learn personally. I took two last spring that were both online. One sucked much ass. It was accounting and a lot of that was hard to absorb by just reading the text book. I took another one that was keyboarding - it was a breeze.

Mine weren't exactly online though. It was more paper-based. We communicated with the teacher through e-mail, but we still had to go to the school to take tests and turn in homework. That was a pain.

I loved being able to study on my own and do it when I had the time instead of trying to fit my life around a school schedule.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 06:26 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I did some online classes, and it worked out really well. I started taking classes when dd was 7 months old, and I didn't "leave" her until she was two years old. Up until then, I took some evening classes, in which dh was with her ( I just didn't consider 3 hours, two days a week to be leaving her) and some online classes, and then had a decent break when we moved.

Oh, but I'm no homemaker Click here to enlarge
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 09:11 AM
MHM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I am taking my first one this semester. Mainly just because I couldn't fit it into my schedule any other way. I'm a little bit worried about making sure I take the time to work on it. It seems scarier to me to be doing it online- I guess because it feels like that daily guidance from an instructor isn't there.
I did receive a nice email from the instructor already, so hopefully it won't be as scary as it feels right now.

Good luck with it! It's a good way to get your classes started, I think!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in